Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-06-2016, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #1

moving to a digital slr

i currently use a pentax lx camera for motorcycle action shots.
with this camera i use the following lenses:-
sigma apo zoom 75-300
sigma 400(5.6)
tamron 300 (2.8)

I have had the pentax lx for many years and now want to move into digital photography.
I am looking for a camera that has excellent auto focus performance.

Question 1-Would the Pentax k-1 be the best choice for action photography.

Question 2-Would my existing lenses fit on the Pentax k-1

i look forward to your comments.

09-06-2016, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Hooper

Welcome to the forum.
There are mixed reviews of the K-1's auto-focus performance with regard to moving objects. And there are some stunning K-1 work that has already been posted here - you'll have to do some research to see if the k-1 will suit your particular style of photography.

See: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/322475-pentax-k-1-depth-review.html
And: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/328166-pentax-k-1-does-mot...mx-racing.html

All K-mount lenses will fit the K-1 and older M-42 screw-mount lenses can be used with an adapter. Some Sigma lenses can scratch the K-1's body due to a wider lens body width than native Pentax lenses.

See: Pentax K-1 Lens Compatibility Guide - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
And: Use of Pentax mount SIGMA interchangeable lenses when attached to the ?Pentax K-1 - SIGMA CORPORATION

Kind regards,
Mark
09-06-2016, 02:56 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
IF, theres a place you can rent a K1 nearby go for that option.Your lenses will be fine.

IF not, then find a retailer and take your lenses and test them....fast moving objects are the cars out the front of the shop.Birds in the air ect.
09-06-2016, 02:59 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And lots of K-1 photos here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/314413-post-your-k-1-pictures-259.html

09-06-2016, 03:00 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Hi Hooper

Welcome to the forum.
There are mixed reviews of the K-1's auto-focus performance with regard to moving objects. And there are some stunning K-1 work that has already been posted here - you'll have to do some research to see if the k-1 will suit your particular style of photography.

See: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/322475-pentax-k-1-depth-review.html
And: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/328166-pentax-k-1-does-mot...mx-racing.html

All K-mount lenses will fit the K-1 and older M-42 screw-mount lenses can be used with an adapter. Some Sigma lenses can scratch the K-1's body due to a wider lens body width than native Pentax lenses.

And: Use of Pentax mount SIGMA interchangeable lenses when attached to the ?Pentax K-1 - SIGMA CORPORATION

Kind regards,
Mark
Given that the OP is currently using a manual focus camera, I should think anything the K-1 can offer him will be light years ahead of where he is now - and if all else fails, he can simply switch off AF and fall back on his previous expertise.
09-06-2016, 03:16 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Given that the OP is currently using a manual focus camera, I should think anything the K-1 can offer him will be light years ahead of where he is now - and if all else fails, he can simply switch off AF and fall back on his previous expertise.
Yeah, but the original query included the following
QuoteOriginally posted by hooper Quote
I have had the pentax lx for many years and now want to move into digital photography.
09-06-2016, 03:20 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Yeah, but the original query included the following
Indeed - which is why I pointed him to this thread - which shows the K-1 can perform that function rather nicely: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/328166-pentax-k-1-does-mot...mx-racing.html

09-06-2016, 03:47 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If you've been using an LX, then yes, the K-1 will easily get the job done. All your lenses will work just fine

For faster AF performance I'd recommend either the D FA* 70-200mm or 150-450mm.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-07-2016, 03:56 AM   #9
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

with this camera i use the following lenses:-
sigma apo zoom 75-300
sigma 400(5.6)
tamron 300 (2.8)

Question 1-Would the Pentax k-1 be the best choice for action photography.

Question 2-Would my existing lenses fit on the Pentax k-1

i look forward to your comments.
I notice you are using long lenses. If this is you intended type of photography the apsc format K3ii may suit you better. Your telephotos will be 50% more telephoto with the K3ii but will behave almost the same as your Lx with the full frame K1. It would certainly be worth your while researching the difference between Apsc and FF as regards field of view.
09-07-2016, 01:37 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Hi Hooper

Welcome to the forum.

Kind regards,
Mark
Thank you for your comments.Much appreciated.

Looking at k-1 lens compatibility guide,i have a few questions.

Q1-the k1 is the first full frame dslr from pentax.Does that mean what you see is what you get in the photograph?
When I use my LX camera what you see is what you get.

Q2-Why have anything other than full-frame on a camera?

Q3-What is an APS-C body ?

Q4-What are the benefits of crop mode on the dslr.

If I have enlargements made from negatives the photographs can be cropped to my requirements.

Kind Regards

Hooper
09-07-2016, 02:55 PM   #11
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If I have enlargements made from negatives the photographs can be cropped to my requirements.
That is right but you will also know that those crops are not as detailed as a full image.
If you are in the habit of having to crop your images from those lenses then an apsc is for you.
The K1 will also do that same crop in-camera for you but you are looking at a heavier more expensive camera to do what an apsc excels at. (If telephoto is your speciality).
Digital Camera Sensor Sizes: How it Influences Your Photography
Apsc is the 1.5 / 1.6 x crop factor sensors in this article.
There is plenty of info out there already on this stuff without repeating it here and you are on the best forum for that info so start reading.
09-07-2016, 03:13 PM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
currently using a manual focus camera, I should think anything the K-1 can offer him will be light years ahead
But my K1 is still only manual focus...

09-07-2016, 03:20 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Q1-the k1 is the first full frame dslr from pentax.Does that mean what you see is what you get in the photograph?
What do you mean by "what you see is what you get", more exactly?
Framing? It will be what you see in the viewfinder; but that's true of APS-C bodies, too (because their viewfinders are adapted to the format - note that their viewfinders are a far cry of that of an old manual camera). Something else?

Price. FF cameras are expensive, most people prefer to spend less - and APS-C offers good quality at an affordable price (they can get even lower than $500).
Size can also be an important factor (the K-S1/K-S2/K-70 sure are small!)

A camera whose sensor is about 23.5 x 15.6 mm (slightly less for Canon)

For the K-1:
- eliminating the need to crop later, if using an APS-C only lens (you'd have to crop out the ugly vignetting - if present)
- smaller files (by itself, not enough to use it IMO)
- higher performance (max frame rate raised to ~6.5fps)
It's actually not such a big deal, and of course you can shoot in "full frame" mode and crop later, on the PC.
09-07-2016, 03:39 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Its what we used to take photos with.

It gives a 16mp image at 50% bigger FOV, all the DA designated lenses will be OK( but theres some of these that are useable in FF mode too)
09-07-2016, 04:35 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, what you see is what you get. The K-1, using the same lens as on your LX camera will give you the same field of view.

The APS-C format is very popular to some photographers due to smaller body size, lower cost etc. Pentax has not, until now, made a FF Pentax body so we had little choice but to like APS-C. When you use a FF lens on an APS-C body, you only use part of the field of view, giving the effect of a cropped view, which is why some call APS-C a "crop-frame sensor". It does mean that a, say, 300mm FF lens gives the effect of a longer lens on APS-C. However, coming from film, I can well understand that you would ask why have a smaller sensor. Remember it's all relative. FF is small compared to medium format and to the old glass plate cameras.

Q3-What is an APS-C body?
As explained above.

As explained above, and by other posters here.