Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2016, 08:14 AM   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought these yesterday. I like them because unlike the ones for AAs, AAAs etc, they have a flat bottom:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FUL42K8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1

10-01-2016, 08:25 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I bought these yesterday. I like them because unlike the ones for AAs, AAAs etc, they have a flat bottom:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FUL42K8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1
Intrigomon...

Will you please post a picture of them with a D-L190 in them once they arrive?
10-01-2016, 08:45 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have two LensCoat double and two Lenscoat single battery pouches and one Think Tank 4 battery pouch. Charged batteries go in contacts down. Batteries needing to be recharged go in contacts up. When I am in the field, at least one of the two packs is always on my belt.
10-01-2016, 09:20 AM   #49
Seeker of Knowledge

an option

a suggestion was mentioned earlier about "Tupperware" style solution. I went to my local W____ rt and found a Ziplock "8 + 2" bonus pack of extra small square containers (.05 cup) which the battery for my K 3 and K 5 II (D-L190) fits into.

BONUS: my pentax o-gps 1 also fits into the same type of container.

The lid of the container is a press on type so I do put the item into a plastic bag just as a back up

(I'm a firm believer in "Murphy's Law: anything that can go wrong will go wrong and Finnegan's corollary to it: Murphy was an optimist)

that is why I carry the extra batteries for the K 3 and K 5 II plus AA batteries as well.

10-01-2016, 10:14 AM   #50
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
Will you please post a picture of them with a D-L190 in them once they arrive?
I don't have the D-L190, mine are the D-L109 and the D-L150 for the K10D. But since the one for the K10D is similar, I can try to see if they'll fit these. The description on them says for Li-ion batteries.
10-01-2016, 10:40 AM   #51
A Proud PENTAXER !!!

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
What the biggest risk for your safety? Getting killed on the road, having your kitchen appliance starting a fire or having your K3 battery explode in your hands?

Honestly I never read of anybody reporting a bad experience with Naked Pentax batteries and the way it goes with forum and the internet, if the risk was real, people would love to report this endlessly.

To me, you overthink it.

Thank you, Nicolas06 -- I'm feeling much better already . . .
10-01-2016, 12:09 PM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't have the D-L190, mine are the D-L109 and the D-L150 for the K10D. But since the one for the K10D is similar, I can try to see if they'll fit these. The description on them says for Li-ion batteries.
Okey dokey. I guess, if I weren't so darn lazy, I could grab the calipers and measure my batteries. The dimensions of the case are in the listing after all.
10-01-2016, 12:49 PM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
the way it goes with forum and the internet, if the risk was real, people would love to report this endlessly.
😀

10-02-2016, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #54
Site Supporter

Quartermaster James asked for a photo. Here's one with the K10d battery inside and there is head room above the battery.

The dust you see in the lower right of the photo isn't in the box, it's on the material I had as a backdrop.

Last edited by photolady95; 1 Day Ago at 08:54 PM.
10-02-2016, 09:48 AM   #55
Pentaxian

funny - I was thinking about that just the other day - never an issue with the K-3 because I had the grip to hold the second battery - zip-loc seems a good idea
10-02-2016, 09:51 AM   #56
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
zip-loc seems a good idea
If you bought the snack size. The bigger ones might cause static and short out your battery.
10-02-2016, 10:34 AM   #57
A Proud PENTAXER !!!

Original Poster
If you bought the snack size. The bigger ones might cause static and short out your battery.
Uh, no.
10-02-2016, 10:36 AM   #58
Pentaxian

I just toss mine in the camera bag often.... so far, it's been safe.
10-02-2016, 12:16 PM   #59
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
Uh, no.
I said "might", what I said was not set in stone.
03-03-2017, 10:43 AM   #60
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
Unprotected D-LI50 -

The OEM Pentax D-LI50 battery (used in the K10D and K20D) is conveniently supplied with a translucent form-fitting protective cap that fits neatly and securely (snapping into place) over the business end (i.e., the end with the electrical contacts) of the battery.

D-LI50 with cap -

D-LI50 with cap -

In contrast, the OEM Pentax D-LI90 battery (used in the K-1, K-3, K-3 II, K-5, K-5 II, K-5 IIS, K-7, K-01, and 645D) is supplied "naked" (well, it's supplied inside an open-ended plastic bag inside a small - but too large to form-fit - cardboard box, but that's it).

Unprotected D-LI90 -

Unfortunately, then, while it is easily possible to safely carry D-LI50 batteries without worrying about the contacts being shorted (either to each other on the same battery, or from contacts on one battery to those on another battery), such is not the case for the D-LI90.

The problem should be obvious -- Li-ion batteries could, if shorted and if then overheated, melt their surroundings, or ignite their surroundings, or catch fire themselves, or even explode.

I have found that two D-LI90's can be squeezed into a slightly deformed D-LI90 cardboard box (ideally with their business ends reversed in the box), but the box is a bit flimsy, and this is not an ideal solution. Probably a number of very small zip-lock plastic bags could be found that would do well (although I haven't succeeded in finding enough of them yet myself). I realize that the end of the batteries could be taped and untaped, etc., but that's not a great solution either.

It might be possible to do a little bit of "rocket surgery" on a left-over D-LI50 cap to make them at least "sort of" fit on a D-LI90 battery -- I haven't tried this, but the batteries seem pretty similar in cross-section dimensions, except that the shapes are a bit different (so that a D-LI50 cap might fit over a D-LI90 if a bit of plastic were removed). Dunno...

I really wish that Pentax had continued supplying neat form-fitting caps for the business ends of their now-ubiquitous D-I90 batteries, modeled after the D-LI50 caps. [Or maybe someone with expertise with, and access to, a 3-D printer might be able to come up with a neat solution. (?)]

So, how do ~you~ protect your D-LI90's ???
Loose with electrical tape covering the contacts.

When I'm charging the tape sticks to the back of the battery (smooth part) and then when done I cover the contacts and put in my bag. When the battery is swapped, put the tape from the fresh battery onto the drained battery (you can run it horizontal vs. vertical as a flag that it's used vs. fresh.

For my AA and AAA batteries I bought several four-battery hardshell cases. When the batteries are charged and fresh I place a torn strip of Post-It note on top of them and close the lid. Then in my bag I know which batteries are fresh. When I take them out of the flash, I put the batteries back into their case with the strip beneath them to signify they are used.