Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2016, 06:00 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
an adapter that sits *inside* the compartment
Its a shame this concept isn't followed through with on all the cameras,VERY handy option.

09-07-2016, 06:11 PM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Its a shame this concept isn't followed through with on all the cameras,VERY handy option.

I'm often cycling, hiking or kayaking out in the country, and I've always thought it would be easier to buy some more AAs at a service station than find a power point for several hours. :-)

I can understand that I'm a minority case and the option makes the body bigger than it has to be, though.
09-07-2016, 06:24 PM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I'm often cycling, hiking or kayaking out in the country, and I've always thought it would be easier to buy some more AAs at a service station than find a power point for several hours. :-)

I can understand that I'm a minority case and the option makes the body bigger than it has to be, though.

Of course the K-3 can take 6 AA's in its grip (with its AA adapter), although that's not a "compact" way of being able to use AA batteries.

Last edited by fwcetus; 09-07-2016 at 08:40 PM.
09-07-2016, 08:34 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think the K1 grip takes 6 AAs too....but the k30/50 AA holder is pretty small and convenient

09-08-2016, 08:14 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
I think the K1 grip takes 6 AAs too....but the k30/50 AA holder is pretty small and convenient
Yes, but the K3's battery far outperforms the battery for the K30/50. I wouldn't trade that for AA convenience.
09-08-2016, 10:42 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
Yes, but the K3's battery far outperforms the battery for the K30/50. I wouldn't trade that for AA convenience.
The appropriate comparison for you is BG-5 vs D-Li90.
09-08-2016, 07:32 PM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
I use a nifty, 4 pocket, battery carrier when I am packing them around. If I am only carrying one or two then I use the same plastic caps that work so nicely on my older batteries for the K10D. When I'm not carrying them then I just set them on the shelf...totally unprotected.

I thought of using rubbers but did not want to explain that to the grandkids.

Oh well.
Unlubricated ones make ideal containers for all sorts of small electronic devices... and are useful for preventing debris from getting into a shotgun or rifle barrel out in the field...

09-08-2016, 07:54 PM   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CP140 Quote
Unlubricated ones make ideal containers for all sorts of small electronic devices.
Yes, Cover That Rascal!
09-09-2016, 08:24 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The appropriate comparison for you is BG-5 vs D-Li90.
I do not think that was the point I was trying to make. I apologize for my failure to communicate clearly.
09-09-2016, 02:37 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CP140 Quote
Unlubricated ones make ideal containers for all sorts of small electronic devices... and are useful for preventing debris from getting into a shotgun or rifle barrel out in the field...
I will start using them on my shotgun. Probably a bit late now.

When he was much younger my oldest grandson "loaded" some pieces of chocolate candy bar down the muzzle of my single shot 20. When I took it out of the pickup and went to load it some mysterious brown viscous material came oozing out. Of course one look at the boy's face told you exactly what the mysterious material was.

09-09-2016, 03:01 PM   #41
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks! I like this product, going to order one.
09-09-2016, 03:14 PM - 1 Like   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Thanks! I like this product, going to order one.
You will like it. I've got three at this point. Well made, and fits the D-Li90 perfectly.
09-09-2016, 03:22 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A small Lowepro neoprene zip case, originally bought for a compact. Now holds 2xD-Li90 side by side snugly, plus the IR remote.
10-01-2016, 08:09 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
The problem should be obvious -- Li-ion batteries could, if shorted and if then overheated, melt their surroundings, or ignite their surroundings, or catch fire themselves, or even explode.
What the biggest risk for your safety? Getting killed on the road, having your kitchen appliance starting a fire or having your K3 battery explode in your hands?

Honestly I never read of anybody reporting a bad experience with Naked Pentax batteries and the way it goes with forum and the internet, if the risk was real, people would love to report this endlessly.

To me, you overthink it.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 10-01-2016 at 08:23 AM.
10-01-2016, 08:14 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Mostly you are right. That being said, in most place in the world, hotels do have power plugs and the situation isn't that bad. Not long ago I was in Tanzania in the middle of nowhere, you couldn't plug a single thing in your own tent for sure but you could plug just fine in the restaurant area. And the cars had powerplugs too. But there was no AA to buy at all.

If you were cautch unprepared there, the next store might be 3 hours drive and you'd better have your charger than to hope for buying some AAs batteries. Nobody would drive you there and ruin their day of safari for it. Worse driving after 6pm was forbidden.

And if you take care to buy an USB charger for your batteries, then you open a whole new world: all cars become a way to charge and you can reuse all the battery storage devices to refill that got popular with smartphones.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 10-01-2016 at 08:44 AM.