Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
12-08-2018, 08:49 AM   #76
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

frankly, unless flying I foresee no problems

however when I fly for vacations, I do have multiple batteries, just as easy to charge them as to carry the AAs and their separate battery trays, so as I have said before I use small zip lock containers:

[ How do you ~safely~ store your D-LI90 batteries ? - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com ]

and since I have the Pre chek clearance no problems with them looking in the camera bag

but should the Pre chek line be inactive, , I might run into a TSA operative having a bad day who might object to me transporting such items loose

so the use of the small separate containers makes sense to me YMMV

and should I have to gate check the camera bag [ da**, all small commuter planes with no [ or very small ] in cabin overhead storage bins ]

I can quickly remove the lithium batteries

Last edited by aslyfox; 12-08-2018 at 10:38 AM.
12-08-2018, 10:16 AM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I carry four spares and a compact double charger in a hard zip case, which lives in my rucksack, and it hasn't been an issue in hand baggage at US airports so far. I haven't come across a commuter plane yet that didn't have any kind of overhead storage, even if it's small. I haven't had a problem getting my rucksack in there, and if there was, I'd put the camera around my neck.
12-08-2018, 10:36 AM   #78
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
I carry four spares and a compact double charger in a hard zip case, which lives in my rucksack, and it hasn't been an issue in hand baggage at US airports so far. I haven't come across a commuter plane yet that didn't have any kind of overhead storage, even if it's small. I haven't had a problem getting my rucksack in there, and if there was, I'd put the camera around my neck.
my problem with small bins have in planes with openings of 10 inches or less and since I was carrying multiple camera bodies and lenses [ equipment for myself and spouse is all carried by me ] my back pack was in no way able to fit.

we were told about the small overhead bins as we boarded the plane

numerous passengers were complaining because if you had any type of " normal " size carry on, none would fit and all had to be gate checked
12-08-2018, 02:15 PM   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah, right. Our travel kit sounds a little smaller than yours! For me it’s ‘just’ the K-3II with 20-40 attached, the 10-17 and PLM, a couple of small bean bags, and the case of batteries. The tripod is in checked baggage. The Good Mrs Micro’s photo kit is her iPhone!

12-08-2018, 02:35 PM   #80
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

nothing wrong with your kit

we tend only to fly on longer vacations where we don't want to face what to do if a camera fails on the trip

wife doesn't care so long I am the one lugging the heavy thing through the airports and the parking lots
12-08-2018, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #81
Forum Member

I use small wallet ID or credit card holders. They look like these:
Bringbring Leather Wallet ID Credit Card Holder Male Small Wallets for Men: Amazon.co.uk: Luggage

I got mine for free in a local furniture store. On special days they give them away to any visitor. Can you imagine how cheap these things are.
12-09-2018, 01:10 AM   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don’t know whether it could be that there’s a little jigger in my brain that enjoys flying by the seat of its pants, but taking a second camera as a a backup on long trips has never occurred to me. But then my gear has never given me cause to doubt it - the lens de-mount button on my K-5 never fell off, there’s no poltergeist in my K-3II causing the mirror to flap. Even after the K-3II plummeted to the ground, bouncing off my foot and rolled along a concrete quay on day 3 of a six-week New Zealand holiday earlier this year - and totally surviving, thanks to its OpTech neoprene cover - I still kept the two-card set-up as RAW on card 1, and JPG and movies on card 2. Maybe one day it’ll bite me, but I don’t worry too much about that.

Cute little wallets - £0.01 plus £2.99 postage!

12-09-2018, 04:48 AM   #83
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
I don’t know whether it could be that there’s a little jigger in my brain that enjoys flying by the seat of its pants, but taking a second camera as a a backup on long trips has never occurred to me. But then my gear has never given me cause to doubt it - the lens de-mount button on my K-5 never fell off, there’s no poltergeist in my K-3II causing the mirror to flap. Even after the K-3II plummeted to the ground, bouncing off my foot and rolled along a concrete quay on day 3 of a six-week New Zealand holiday earlier this year - and totally surviving, thanks to its OpTech neoprene cover - I still kept the two-card set-up as RAW on card 1, and JPG and movies on card 2. Maybe one day it’ll bite me, but I don’t worry too much about that. . . .
no problem with that practice

on the other hand, I've got two camera bodies, need to use them, a semi strong back and weak mind ( ask my brothers and SILs ) and some trips are very photographic and taken for that purpose primarily ( Tanzania 2016 and 2019 - I don't haul the kit around once I get there, most is travel being in a vehicle, not by foot

and I'm learned to be a big believer in Murphy's law and Finnegan's corollary ( Murphy was an optimist )

funny thing is that the biggest problem I had with small upper bins was on a trip when I only took a minimum kit, one camera, a couple of lenses -
( one was the D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ) and as I said, all passengers had problems.

[ we cruised from Sydney to Melbourne to Hobart, then over, around and up the SI and NI and flew home from the capital of NZ in 2011. I hope you enjoyed your trip as much as we did ours. ]
12-09-2018, 07:14 AM - 1 Like   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It was absolutely marvellous! This picture to me captured the spirit of our trip; Aoraki on the South Island seen from the shore of Lake Pukaki in the evening light. K-3II, 20-40 @33mm, ISO100, 1/80 second, f7.1

PS How do I get the thread to display the picture rather than a 'click to view' link?
12-09-2018, 10:25 AM   #85
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
nothing wrong with your kit

we tend only to fly on longer vacations where we don't want to face what to do if a camera fails on the trip

wife doesn't care so long I am the one lugging the heavy thing through the airports and the parking lots
I have a relatively compact {usually 'messenger'} bag for each camera.
12-09-2018, 12:01 PM   #86
Loyal Site Supporter

I've never worried about it. The contacts are slightly recessed, which seems to keep them away from anything that can cause problems. I just stack mine up in one compartment of the bag.
12-09-2018, 01:24 PM   #87
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I've never worried about it. The contacts are slightly recessed, which seems to keep them away from anything that can cause problems. I just stack mine up in one compartment of the bag.
I'm not worried either - the questions arise when TSA has to be assured.
12-09-2018, 01:31 PM   #88
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
as Bill wrote:

[Hamlet]

". . . that is the question . . . there's the rub . . . "

what does that TSA agent has to say

other wise ???
12-09-2018, 02:06 PM   #89
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by klkitchens Quote
But if you have more batteries than slots in your cameras you ARE storing them, even if in the bag. There is a risk of the contacts touching and shorting them out, creating a fire hazard if simple precautions aren't taken.

Easy enough to do.
There is no way for two or more D-LI90 batteries contacts to touch, unless, of course, the contact is made via another metallic and conducting object in the same container / bag.
I've just sat here with 4 of them and no matter how I turn, hold or press them, there's no way for the contacts to form a circuit.
12-09-2018, 02:51 PM - 2 Likes   #90
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
If that's all, I'd put a piece of painter's tape on that end to keep the security theatre actor happy.

---------- Post added 12-09-18 at 03:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
There is no way for two or more D-LI90 batteries contacts to touch, unless, of course, the contact is made via another metallic and conducting object in the same container / bag.
I've just sat here with 4 of them and no matter how I turn, hold or press them, there's no way for the contacts to form a circuit.
Just don't throw a handful of change or paperclips into the same compartment.