Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2016, 03:52 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How do you ~safely~ store your D-LI90 batteries ?

Unprotected D-LI50 -

The OEM Pentax D-LI50 battery (used in the K10D and K20D) is conveniently supplied with a translucent form-fitting protective cap that fits neatly and securely (snapping into place) over the business end (i.e., the end with the electrical contacts) of the battery.

D-LI50 with cap -

D-LI50 with cap -

In contrast, the OEM Pentax D-LI90 battery (used in the K-1, K-3, K-3 II, K-5, K-5 II, K-5 IIS, K-7, K-01, and 645D) is supplied "naked" (well, it's supplied inside an open-ended plastic bag inside a small - but too large to form-fit - cardboard box, but that's it).

Unprotected D-LI90 -

Unfortunately, then, while it is easily possible to safely carry D-LI50 batteries without worrying about the contacts being shorted (either to each other on the same battery, or from contacts on one battery to those on another battery), such is not the case for the D-LI90.

The problem should be obvious -- Li-ion batteries could, if shorted and if then overheated, melt their surroundings, or ignite their surroundings, or catch fire themselves, or even explode.

I have found that two D-LI90's can be squeezed into a slightly deformed D-LI90 cardboard box (ideally with their business ends reversed in the box), but the box is a bit flimsy, and this is not an ideal solution. Probably a number of very small zip-lock plastic bags could be found that would do well (although I haven't succeeded in finding enough of them yet myself). I realize that the end of the batteries could be taped and untaped, etc., but that's not a great solution either.

It might be possible to do a little bit of "rocket surgery" on a left-over D-LI50 cap to make them at least "sort of" fit on a D-LI90 battery -- I haven't tried this, but the batteries seem pretty similar in cross-section dimensions, except that the shapes are a bit different (so that a D-LI50 cap might fit over a D-LI90 if a bit of plastic were removed). Dunno...

I really wish that Pentax had continued supplying neat form-fitting caps for the business ends of their now-ubiquitous D-I90 batteries, modeled after the D-LI50 caps. [Or maybe someone with expertise with, and access to, a 3-D printer might be able to come up with a neat solution. (?)]

So, how do ~you~ protect your D-LI90's ???

Last edited by fwcetus; 09-06-2016 at 04:13 PM.
09-06-2016, 04:09 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Snack size Ziploc bags.
09-06-2016, 04:12 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I place my DLI90 batteries in plastic fold-top sandwich bags with a twist tie around the top. I usually put them in the side pockets of my hiking pants as backups and when not using in a cabinet on a shelf. The whole time they are in the individual plastic bags I mentioned, which protect the batteries from water, dirt, and scratching. It works well for me and as I mentioned the water is kept out.

Last edited by C_Jones; 09-06-2016 at 08:05 PM.
09-06-2016, 04:41 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.amazon.com/Think-Tank-Photo-Battery-Holder/dp/B007TIYYQ2/ref=sr_...k+tank+battery

09-06-2016, 04:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I bought these little felt bags on Amazon. 6 for $2 or something like that.
09-06-2016, 05:09 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The contact points are smaller and more recessed and I have lots of small places in my bags to stick them. I don't find that they contact each other in practice.
09-06-2016, 05:38 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
Unprotected D-LI50 -

The OEM Pentax D-LI50 battery (used in the K10D and K20D) is conveniently supplied with a translucent form-fitting protective cap that fits neatly and securely (snapping into place) over the business end (i.e., the end with the electrical contacts) of the battery.

D-LI50 with cap -

D-LI50 with cap -

In contrast, the OEM Pentax D-LI90 battery (used in the K-1, K-3, K-3 II, K-5, K-5 II, K-5 IIS, K-7, K-01, and 645D) is supplied "naked" (well, it's supplied inside an open-ended plastic bag inside a small - but too large to form-fit - cardboard box, but that's it).

Unprotected D-LI90 -

Unfortunately, then, while it is easily possible to safely carry D-LI50 batteries without worrying about the contacts being shorted (either to each other on the same battery, or from contacts on one battery to those on another battery), such is not the case for the D-LI90.

The problem should be obvious -- Li-ion batteries could, if shorted and if then overheated, melt their surroundings, or ignite their surroundings, or catch fire themselves, or even explode.

I have found that two D-LI90's can be squeezed into a slightly deformed D-LI90 cardboard box (ideally with their business ends reversed in the box), but the box is a bit flimsy, and this is not an ideal solution. Probably a number of very small zip-lock plastic bags could be found that would do well (although I haven't succeeded in finding enough of them yet myself). I realize that the end of the batteries could be taped and untaped, etc., but that's not a great solution either.

It might be possible to do a little bit of "rocket surgery" on a left-over D-LI50 cap to make them at least "sort of" fit on a D-LI90 battery -- I haven't tried this, but the batteries seem pretty similar in cross-section dimensions, except that the shapes are a bit different (so that a D-LI50 cap might fit over a D-LI90 if a bit of plastic were removed). Dunno...

I really wish that Pentax had continued supplying neat form-fitting caps for the business ends of their now-ubiquitous D-I90 batteries, modeled after the D-LI50 caps. [Or maybe someone with expertise with, and access to, a 3-D printer might be able to come up with a neat solution. (?)]

So, how do ~you~ protect your D-LI90's ???
Each one goes into a separate Ziploc baggie.

09-06-2016, 05:38 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Ive got a great place to store my spare L-190....its in a place called K-01, and fits neatly in a pocket of a small back pack!
09-06-2016, 05:51 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I put my Samsung Galaxy S7 on its charger yesterday, turned around, and saw this ...

Last edited by clackers; 09-06-2016 at 10:16 PM.
09-06-2016, 05:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I didnt knew we must protect the contacts, i have been trowed my charged bateries on my messenger bag unprotected for years, si far no problem with any of the 3 i used to have (sold the k3 and now only have 2)

09-06-2016, 07:10 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

At present, I have them in the white cardboard boxes the Wasabi copies came in.

That being said, I would really love top caps similar to what came with my K10D batteries.

Steve
09-06-2016, 09:57 PM   #12
Veteran Member

One in the camera, one in the BG and a third in the bag unprotected. No Problems the last years. (K5, K3, K1)
09-07-2016, 01:49 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Empty business card boxes
09-07-2016, 02:37 AM - 1 Like   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
Snack size Ziploc bags.
Ditto
09-07-2016, 10:52 AM   #15

Like others, zip-lock (or any other small plastic bag) keeps them clean, isolates the contacts and keeps things from scratching/rubbing against each other