Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2016, 02:04 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I asked both Ricoh and the Precision repair facility about the $110 warranty three months ago. Unless things have changed, here is what I found out.

They informed me that if a K-1 (or other camera body) is damaged by a drop or other means, the warranty card is null and void.

It costs over $300 or more to repair a K-1 out of warranty, depending on the damage found. Precision gives a brief warranty period of 2 or 3 months (don't recall which) for the repaired part(s) only.

If Precision misses something, and something else goes wrong with the camera during that time, you pay another $300+ to repair.

Depending on what kind of shooting you do, and the hazards present where you go, it might be worthwhile to purchase a 3rd party warranty with accidental damage protection or standard insurance on your camera equipment. Especially if you travel on a trip.

10-03-2016, 10:06 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rgknief60 Quote
I asked both Ricoh and the Precision repair facility about the $110 warranty three months ago. Unless things have changed, here is what I found out.

They informed me that if a K-1 (or other camera body) is damaged by a drop or other means, the warranty card is null and void.

It costs over $300 or more to repair a K-1 out of warranty, depending on the damage found. Precision gives a brief warranty period of 2 or 3 months (don't recall which) for the repaired part(s) only.

If Precision misses something, and something else goes wrong with the camera during that time, you pay another $300+ to repair.

Depending on what kind of shooting you do, and the hazards present where you go, it might be worthwhile to purchase a 3rd party warranty with accidental damage protection or standard insurance on your camera equipment. Especially if you travel on a trip.
Interesting. Could you give an example of a third party warranty provider that you've dealt with and trust? I'll have a look, I didn't buy the 110$ card yet.

Although, I don't go into warzones or hike with it much, and generally try to be careful with the equipment (although accidents could always happen of course)
10-03-2016, 04:38 PM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Interesting. Could you give an example of a third party warranty provider that you've dealt with and trust? I'll have a look, I didn't buy the 110$ card yet.

Although, I don't go into warzones or hike with it much, and generally try to be careful with the equipment (although accidents could always happen of course)
I've not used a third party warranty service. Square trade is popular. Adorama offers New Leaf. B&H offers one, I'm not sure which.

I took out insurance that will repair or replace my gear. Cost of the insurance is dependent on the value of your gear, of course, and whether or not you shoot professionally.

I try to be careful with my equipment, too. But when I was on a boat a while back, we had a wave. My tripod got away from me, resulting in a damaged body and lens.

It doesn't take much for there to be a damp spot under the leaves or loose gravel on a trail, and so forth. We know the terrain at home, but away can be a different story. I'd definitely take out insurance for trips.

While we can't see the full picture, anecdotal evidence (from reports of damaged K-1s here on the forum) seems to indicate that the K-1 is much more fragile than previous Pentax bodies.

At last view, Precision did not even put an option on their website to select the K-1 for an automatic quote. It's an argument from silence, but may indicate that the K-1 is not as robust as it's predecessors.

If you don't insure your gear like I do, the K-1 is one body on which I'd put the more expensive third party accidental damage warranty, and forget the Pentax warranty. If you are past the standard 10 or 15 day window from purchase common to most of these companies, your only option is to insure through your local agent.

My advice is to investigate the value of the gear, and see how much one can afford to replace if it is lost or stolen. It is surprising how fast it all adds up, even if you don't have all that much in your bag. Insurance on just a body and favorite lens might be more reasonable that one might think.
10-03-2016, 09:08 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote

I have been satisfied with Squaretrade in the past and with Precision/RIAC's service record as of late, I would be nervous buying new gear without a warranty. I bought a desktop on eBay, got it warrantied through SquareTrade and when it failed they sent me a check and told me to keep the computer.

I just read through their terms and conditions and it's surprisingly customer-friendly (instead of just trying to exclude themselves from every liability and expense possible). If they do give you any problems, contact them on social media.

10-03-2016, 10:42 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
I have been satisfied with Squaretrade in the past and with Precision/RIAC's service record as of late, I would be nervous buying new gear without a warranty. I bought a desktop on eBay, got it warrantied through SquareTrade and when it failed they sent me a check and told me to keep the computer.

I just read through their terms and conditions and it's surprisingly customer-friendly (instead of just trying to exclude themselves from every liability and expense possible). If they do give you any problems, contact them on social media.
Hmm, it's triple the price. But if it's as good as you say it is it's probably worth it. One thing, seems Pentax one can be purchased 60 days after purchase of the camera. I'm a bit over 30 days, would I still be able to buy square trade one?

---------- Post added 10-03-16 at 10:52 PM ----------

Mm, I guess I waited too long, since I've initially planned to purchase Pentax one. Square trade has 30 days to buy the plan, so I'm too late. Well, hope Pentax won't let me down. I had a standard Olympus coverage, also done with precision camera, and they repaired my camera with no issues and in time the one time I sent it in. Maybe I'll be ok.

Last edited by awscreo; 10-03-2016 at 10:47 PM.