Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2016, 11:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax Extended Warranty

Wanted to ask - why pentax extended warranty costs so little compared to SquareTrade and stuff like that? On amazon it goes for 15$ for 2 extended years. It only covers cases when camera breaks on it's own? Meaning that spills (that go through WR) and drops are covered out of pocket? I want to get warranty since I'm still within the 30 day period, and Pentax one seems very cheap. I'm very careful with my gear and understand my responsibility to keep it safe, so I'm only worried for breakage that might happen due to hardware failing on it's own, not from my mistakes. I own a K-1 body (from description it should be covered with this extended warranty thing).

Thanks!

Amazon link to the extended warranty I'm talking about:
Amazon.com : Pentax 2 Year Extended Warranty for all current DSLR, Compact and Q Cameras. (Total Warranty 3 years - 1 Year Standard + 2 Years Additional) : Camera & Photo

09-08-2016, 01:13 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's an old warranty card (presumably still valid, but being phased out). Current pricing is $29 for compacts, $49 for <$1000 DSLRs, $110 for other K-mount DSLRs, and even more for the 645Z.

Ultimately the Pentax warranty will more or less guarantee service at Precision or a replacement from Pentax directly, whereas with third-party warranties you may not always be able to get a repair, and could potentially get a better item as a replacement.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-08-2016, 05:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Where can I buy the warranty? I looked at the ricoh-Pentax website, couldnt find it there. At B&H they say that camera had to be purchased from them in order to be able to use the warranty? Adorama has the old warranty) 17$), Amazon has the old one too..
09-08-2016, 06:47 AM   #4
CDW
Veteran Member

I purchased my K1 on Amazon and my warranty from Adorama. Nothing was said regarding a requirement to have purchased the camera from them. There is a 60 day period from date of camera purchase during which you must purchase the extended warranty.

09-08-2016, 06:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
I purchased my K1 on Amazon and my warranty from Adorama. Nothing was said regarding a requirement to have purchased the camera from them. There is a 60 day period from date of camera purchase during which you must purchase the extended warranty.
Which warranty have you purchased? The under 20$ one, or the 110$? B&H sells the 110$ one and you can't buy it unless you bought the camera from them (I just spoke with them on their online chat). Person above suggested that 20$ warranty is being phased out and Pentax has new warranty tiers (k-1 falls into 110$ one), but I don't understand - if I buy the easily available 20$ warranty from adorama or Amazon, would I still be eligible for repairs after original 1 year runs out? Does 110$ warranty offers more? So confusing.. Even more so that there's no info on it on ricoh-pentax website, cant even buy it there..
09-08-2016, 09:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Weird. So I called Ricoh, explained the issue. They were really surprised B&H only sells to people that bought from B&H and said this wasn't the case before. Took down my details, said they will investigate and see why rules have changed and where I can get my extended warranty. Also, they confirmed that the sub 20$ warranty probably wouldn't work for the K-1, the newer 110$ tier warranty card is needed. I'll keep this updated when they get back to me with more details. I'm glad I called, seems like an odd issue, but I can't be the only one with it, B&H is not the only shop that sells Pentax stuff..
09-08-2016, 09:39 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Weird. So I called Ricoh, explained the issue. They were really surprised B&H only sells to people that bought from B&H and said this wasn't the case before. Took down my details, said they will investigate and see why rules have changed and where I can get my extended warranty. Also, they confirmed that the sub 20$ warranty probably wouldn't work for the K-1, the newer 110$ tier warranty card is needed. I'll keep this updated when they get back to me with more details. I'm glad I called, seems like an odd issue, but I can't be the only one with it, B&H is not the only shop that sells Pentax stuff..
The two year extended warranty can be purchased at Adorama. I do not want to say what cameras it actually applies to per other opinions I have seen/heard, but it still refers to all current Pentax dslrs when described. The shortcut is below for the Adorama offer. I have bought this warranty several times from Adorama, and there was no "you have to have had bought your camera here requirement" there.

Pentax 2 Year Extended Warranty for all current DSLR, Compact and Q Cameras. (Total Warranty 3 years - 1 Year Standard + 2 Years Additional) 85716

Last edited by C_Jones; 09-08-2016 at 12:25 PM.
09-08-2016, 09:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
The two year extended warranty can be purchased at Adorama. I do not want to say what cameras it actually applies per other opinions I have seen/heard, but it still refers to all current Pentax dslrs when described. The shortcut is below for the Adorama offer.

Pentax 2 Year Extended Warranty for all current DSLR, Compact and Q Cameras. (Total Warranty 3 years - 1 Year Standard + 2 Years Additional) 85716
The ricoh representative told me this won't work for K-1. Might not even work for other dslrs, they've seem to update their warranty tier system, but seems they didn't go a good job communicating it with users and sellers..

09-08-2016, 10:15 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It seems to be being phased out to make room for the newer Pentax extended warranty types you mentioned. You may feel more assured if you do purchase the newer Pentax warranty that specifically mentions the K-1, and you may want to do that, but I have actually chatted with an Adorama representative who said the warranty that is the older lower priced one would be applicable to all current Pentax DSLRs, including the K-1. I really don't want to sway you from buying the newer one in accordance with what the Ricoh/Pentax representative told you because that is something you have been told. To me personally, unless the lower priced warranty is not iterated as being invalid per the K-1 Pentax DSLR, then it optimally should be per how it is specifically advertised to potential buyers, but the potential buyers are also being offered the newer specific to K-1 and specific to not K-1 warranties which causes specifically these types of threads asking "which warranties are actually applicable presently". As I said, per your communication with Pentax/Ricoh customer service, you may want to buy the newer "K-1 specific" defined warranty. On the other hand I still in a sense recognize the older "for all present Pentax DSLRs" warranty extension as possibly being phased out, but still including "all present Pentax DSLRs" including the K-1 per its definition until all of those type warranties have been sold (phased out). Of course you want a careful/safe experience, so do what you feel is wisest, and enjoy your Pentax K-1.
09-09-2016, 11:00 AM   #10
CDW
Veteran Member

Which warranty have you purchased? The under 20$ one, or the 110$? B&H sells the 110$ one and you can't buy it unless you bought the camera from them (I just spoke with them on their online chat). Person above suggested that 20$ warranty is being phased out and Pentax has new warranty tiers (k-1 falls into 110$ one), but I don't understand - if I buy the easily available 20$ warranty from adorama or Amazon, would I still be eligible for repairs after original 1 year runs out? Does 110$ warranty offers more? So confusing.. Even more so that there's no info on it on ricoh-pentax website, cant even buy it there..

I purchased the $110.00 two year warranty from Adorama.
09-09-2016, 11:32 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I purchased the $110.00 two year warranty from Adorama.
huh, I didn't look past page 2 in adorama, so I missed it. I had a call from a Ricoh representative yesterday, he told me I have 90 days to purchase it (a bit weird, because the first guy said 30 days), and he can special order it from california. I'll just get it from adorama instead (if they don't have the weird "body must be purchased from adorama" rule like B&H). Thanks for tip!
09-10-2016, 07:40 AM   #12
CDW
Veteran Member

The warranty confusion is indicative of a larger Pentax/Ricoh issue in the US and is the poor service and support Pentax owners get when they have to deal with a third party repair service vs in-house factory support. Pentax cameras are world class, service and support are not, especially when you compare Canon or Nikon support offered for professionals.

AWSCREO received two different answers, both wrong, regarding warranty. The first paragraph, printed in red in the extended warranty paper supplied with the warranty card reads: "...and must be purchased within two (2) months of original purchase"..

The warranty also states the extended warranty provides a total warranty period of three years and any repairs may be made with new, used or recycled parts or at Pentax/Ricoh discretion, they may replace with a new product.

Last edited by CDW; 09-10-2016 at 07:45 AM.
09-10-2016, 07:45 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The warranty confusion is indicative of a larger Pentax/Ricoh issue in the US and is the poor service and support Pentax owners get when they have to deal with a third party repair service vs in-house factory support. Pentax cameras are world class, service and support are not, especially when you compare Canon or Nikon support offered for professionals.

AWSCREO received two different answers, both wrong, regarding warranty. The first paragraph, printed in red in the extended warranty paper supplied with the warranty card reads: "...and must be purchased within two (2) months of original purchase:. Nothing is stated regarding the necessity to purchase the warranty from the same dealer who sold the camera.

The warranty also states the extended warranty provides a total warranty period of three years and any repairs may be made with new, used or recycled parts or at Pentax/Ricoh discretion, they may replace with a new product.
another representative told me 3 months)) I guess they don't know themselves. My previous camera was repaired out of warranty (well over, like half a year) and quick turn over, hope Pentax warranty fixes at least are high quality. I'll buy the warranty anyway though, this body is dear to me
09-12-2016, 09:40 AM   #14
Pentaxian

huh, I didn't look past page 2 in adorama, so I missed it. I had a call from a Ricoh representative yesterday, he told me I have 90 days to purchase it (a bit weird, because the first guy said 30 days), and he can special order it from california. I'll just get it from adorama instead (if they don't have the weird "body must be purchased from adorama" rule like B&H). Thanks for tip!
On BOTH of my $110 2 year warranty purchases for the K-1 it states right on the Card ...."Must be purchased within 60 Days of the Camera Purchase"
09-12-2016, 02:22 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok thanks!