Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2016, 01:56 PM   #1

Urban & street photography?

Hello,
I'm thinking of buying a K3 with 18-55 WR Lens, I like landscape, urban and maybe some street photography.
Would this camera combo do the street photography well? Someone on the net said the K3 isn't all that fast either, What do you all think?
Thanks in advance.

09-08-2016, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi, and welcome to the forums

Do you have the link to the internet article claiming the K-3 isn't all that fast? I wonder what their metrics are. I have the K-3, and every aspect of its operation is fast. As for continuous shooting, Ricoh / Pentax rates the K-3 at 8.3fps. There are some cameras with a higher burst rate, and plenty with a lower rate. Only you can decide if 8.3fps is enough, but I'd suggest it is

The combo you're looking at is fine for street photography. The camera itself is perfect for most types of photography... the 18-55 lens is a "kit lens", and there are the usual image quality limitations associated with that (the same is true of any other brand's kit lenses). I'd recommend you go for the WR version of the 18-55, as that would give you a weather-resistant combo you can use in the street without worrying about a bit of rain here and there.
09-08-2016, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd ask for the definition of 'fast' while we're at it....

if I were buying a K-3 as a kit, I'd skip the DA 18-55 and go for the DA 18-135.... a much better all-around lens....
09-08-2016, 02:20 PM - 1 Like   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I'd ask for the definition of 'fast' while we're at it....

if I were buying a K-3 as a kit, I'd skip the DA 18-55 and go for the DA 18-135.... a much better all-around lens....
As would I. Not to mention that the 18-135mm is fast, durable and quiet.

09-08-2016, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll just jump back in and agree with those replies - the 18-135 would be a *better* choice, in terms of both versatility and image quality; but the 18-55 isn't a bad starting point if funds are limited
09-08-2016, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #6
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'll just jump back in and agree with those replies - the 18-135 would be a *better* choice, in terms of both versatility and image quality; but the 18-55 isn't a bad starting point if funds are limited
agreed - the 18-55mm is NOT a bad lens at all... but looking back at my own purchases, I would have done it a bit differently given the chance...
09-08-2016, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #7

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blazincanon Quote
Hello,
I'm thinking of buying a K3 with 18-55 WR Lens, I like landscape, urban and maybe some street photography.
Would this camera combo do the street photography well? Someone on the net said the K3 isn't all that fast either, What do you all think?
Thanks in advance.
You can use all sorts of camera/lens on the streets. Itīs about the eyes behind the camera. My self, i use the K-3 with 18-135 a lot, but i switch between lenses. Pentax 50 1.8, Sigma 30 1.4 i mostly used. For the pocket i got a Fuji X-M1 with 27 2.8 or 60 2.4. (Sad that Ricoh/Pentax does not have a similar equipment)
A tip, is to look at exif on street/urban photos, but again, itīs all about the photographer:-)

09-08-2016, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the ultra fast response's lol. I'm a bit broke and threatened with divorce if I get one so paying anymore for the bigger lens is death lol. I first had a Pentax SLR back in the early 90s so I really fancied going with that manufacturer again although shocked to see its now Ricoh? I can't remember the web site who stated that about the speed ( I've trawled the net ) but someone on YouTube said the same but that's exactly why I asked you lot after I found a forum for Pentax users, so I knew I would get a real answer. Is it correct that you can fit any Pentax lens to the K3?
09-08-2016, 03:20 PM   #9
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blazincanon Quote
Thanks for the ultra fast response's lol. I'm a bit broke and threatened with divorce if I get one so paying anymore for the bigger lens is death lol. I first had a Pentax SLR back in the early 90s so I really fancied going with that manufacturer again although shocked to see its now Ricoh? I can't remember the web site who stated that about the speed ( I've trawled the net ) but someone on YouTube said the same but that's exactly why I asked you lot after I found a forum for Pentax users, so I knew I would get a real answer. Is it correct that you can fit any Pentax lens to the K3?
yes - any K-mount will work on the K-3, with one notable exception (the new 55-300), and any M42 lens will work with the proper adapter...
09-08-2016, 03:37 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
Sir, get the K-3, you won't regret it.

As for the lens, taking into account what you stated, I would get:
#1 the 35mm ltd. macro (second hand from the forum marketplace),
the DA 35 2.4 if money would be very tight,
#2 a 21 ltd (also second hand) or,with a bigger budget
#3 a 20-40 ltd that would also give you weather sealing.

Small,light lenses that will allow you to want to take out you camera and shoot with it, larger aperture that will allow depth of field control and help when light is scarce, good focal length for the type of photography that interests you, quality rendering, proven over time lenses, decent price for what they offer.

Good luck!
09-08-2016, 03:47 PM   #11
Pentaxian

K3 can capture great moments, however apart from bad weather its overkill for street stuff.

Pentax Q7 is a great street shooter if you can operate without a viewfinder.It produces images that can be mistaken for DSLR performance.Check the Q threads.

You can assemble a kit that will cover landscape, urban/street quite well .ITS SMALL, light and convenient....possibly it could suit?
09-08-2016, 04:10 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here on PF, there are many great deals on gently used gear, both K-3's and a wide variety of lenses. I have bought from several members and have never been disappointed. With so many people opting for K-1's you can find a used K-5 or K-3 at a very good price. I shoot with a K-5, no complaints, but the K-3's are newer and better in several ways.

On my K-5 I often use a DA 40mm XS, is compact, with great performance, if I only had one lens, this would be my choice.. the 21mm LTD is also a great lens

Having said all that, I'd opt for the 18-135mm WR, great range from wide to zoom, and weather resistance is a great feature, it allows you to take pictures when other photographers are staying inside.
09-08-2016, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

For street, K-50 and DA21 Limited. F/8, infinity, wave it around and shoot.
09-08-2016, 04:31 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi Blazincanon,

You might consider a combination of the K-50 and 18-135, even second hand ... that's a good combination that would cover all those photo subjects you mentioned, no need to go too high end for your first DSLR!
09-08-2016, 06:14 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

35 and 21