Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2016, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FWIW, we apparently are out there...

I just got back from a trip to Spain and Gibraltar, and I had an experience that was different from most here in that during my travels, I actually saw multiple shooters with Pentax DSLRs, 2 each in southern Spain and Gibraltar. In Gibraltar, I saw a K-30 and a K-50, while in Spain, I saw a K-50 and a K-S1. Interestingly, I actually got to speak to one of the owners in Spain, and as chance would have it, he was an American resident from the DC area as well, and he was quite interested in seeing my K-1, which he had heard about and was eager to handle. The past couple of weeks have been brutally hot in Spain (100+ for Americans, 40+ for those on the Celsius scale), so my outside tourism was fairly limited as well compared to how it might typically have been.

Interestingly, all of the cameras were fairly recent mid-range models, with my own being the only high end body that I encountered. 2 of the shooters I saw were younger adults, while 2 were older gentlemen.

Anecdotal evidence to be sure, but I really did not see a ton of SLRs (or cameras in general, for that matter), and Pentax seemed to be much better represented than I expected.

Last edited by dcshooter; 09-10-2016 at 06:23 PM.
09-10-2016, 06:19 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Tangential to be sure, but I shoot places where I'm loosely acquainted with the people around me and most shoot Nikon. They're generally polite, but not interested in my Pentax - until K-1. Everybody wants to try it with a Limited and they wish I had a 70-200.
09-10-2016, 06:27 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
And because what the hey, here is a pic from Cadiz:
09-10-2016, 08:21 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

Welcome back DC - nice shot especially in heat (heat always creates haze and dulls colours).

09-11-2016, 12:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Sounds like a great trip, Brian. I've been to Spain a number of times in the last thirty years, mostly to the Basque, central plateau and Valencia regions, but the closest I've been to Gib was 30,000 feet above it on my way back to London from Casablanca!
09-11-2016, 05:59 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well if the Pentax user base doubles, it will now be as Mr. Northrup said, "The Attack of the Pentaxians".
LOL.
But I really hope others will see Pentax like we do.