Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2016, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #1

Advice for wearer of eyeglasses

I wear bifocals. I have a K-50, which I'm very happy with. However, even after adjusting the diopter, I struggle to use the optical viewfinder. I wonder if anyone else has this problem, and what can be done. Are bigger eyecups available? Does anyone rely exclusively on the LCD screen? I'm thinking of upgrading to the K-1: would it be any better for me in this regard?

09-11-2016, 08:31 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello & welcome to the forums

I'd recommend you try fitting you camera with a Pentax O-ME53 magnifying eye-cup. It makes a significant difference - I have one fitted on my K-3 and K-3II, as I find it pretty much essential for manual focusing...
09-11-2016, 08:58 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello and welcome.

I'm glad you raised this. One of the reasons I got a dslr was that I especially wanted a viewfinder. I wear quadrifocals, and they darken in outdoor light, so using the viewfinder with glasses on takes a bit of squinting. I have a K-50 and I usually take my glasses off and use the viewfinder, but it's a nuisance. I only have one pair of glasses. I don't see well without them and am afraid of losing them. I've been wondering whether the magnifying eyecup would make it easier to use the viewfinder with glasses on, or if it just makes the viewfinder more usable for some people with glasses off.
09-11-2016, 09:09 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eyrr Quote
I've been wondering whether the magnifying eyecup would make it easier to use the viewfinder with glasses on, or if it just makes the viewfinder more usable for some people with glasses off.
I tend not to wear my glasses when I'm using the viewfinder. I have a small supply of disposable contact lenses that I keep for long photography days, and that's what works best... But I still find I benefit hugely from the magnifying eye-cup.

09-11-2016, 09:30 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Thanks Mike. I suspect that the physical presence of the eyeglasses lens would be an issue no matter what the magnification. Does anybody routinely use the magnifier eyecup with glasses on?
09-11-2016, 09:53 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello and welcome.

I'm glad you raised this. One of the reasons I got a dslr was that I especially wanted a viewfinder. I wear quadrifocals, and they darken in outdoor light, so using the viewfinder with glasses on takes a bit of squinting. I have a K-50 and I usually take my glasses off and use the viewfinder, but it's a nuisance. I only have one pair of glasses. I don't see well without them and am afraid of losing them. I've been wondering whether the magnifying eyecup would make it easier to use the viewfinder with glasses on, or if it just makes the viewfinder more usable for some people with glasses off.
I wear multi focal glasses, and remember moving to first bi focal, then multi focal. It takes some time for your eyes and brain to adjust, and that is actually the same with using those glasses and OVF. Decide which part of the glasses you'll feel physically comfortable with, using the OVF, adjust the diopter on the camera, and with time you will get used to it. The only negative is that you can't see 100% of what you see with your eye close to the OVF, as without glasses, but the little bit you might have to crop from the image taken, that you couldn't see, is negligible.

I have more of a problem using LV, as I find myself having to adjust how far from my face to hold the screen, depending on where I look through my glasses, sometimes actually tilting my head back looking underneath my glasses, bringing the camera close to my face...that whole process takes much more conscious thought and planing, and might lead to missed shots...
09-11-2016, 10:21 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the magnifying eyepiece - I like it with glasses DESPITE it making it harder (not easier) to see the entire frame. The reason is that it sticks back farther from the LCD screen so being left-eye dominant I have less nose smashed up on the screen moments and less smear to remove. There are aftermarket add-on rubber eyecups that also do this and I'm still experimenting to determine what I like best. I'm currently using single vision due to a disaster where my multivision lens pair of glasses broke and I have been out of town for several weeks off and on so replacing them has been hard. My backup pair was made with single vision for cost reasons. (I can still pull them down my nose and function well - not too bad close up yet due to my crazy nearsightedness)
09-11-2016, 10:37 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

My tri-focals go on my face as soon as I wake up in the morning and do not come off until I am in bed. It took a little time to get the technique, but I wear my glasses, which are photo-chromatic, when shooting with my K-5IIs.

I am much more comfortable using the viewfinder than the screen. A random thought: if you have binoculars, you might try practicing with them. Just work on becoming comfortable with the bins and it will help you with the viewfinder.

09-11-2016, 10:58 AM   #9
dms
Site Supporter

As long as you can see through the distance (upper!) part of the bifocals, it should be fine. Of course the camera diopter adjustment needs to be set (if hard to do slide the rubber eyecup up off the camera)--you say you did this but maybe recheck it.
Cannot think what else could be the problem. Doubt that any other aid could help, and while a diopter that replicates what the eyeglasses do can be affixed to the camera, it is a pain to use as the regular glasses must constantly be removed/replaced.
BTW yes I use the Pentax magnifier on one of my camera's (the K-5) and have no problem w/ my bifocals. But all this stuff is very individual.
09-11-2016, 11:06 AM   #10
Site Supporter

I wear varifocals with a self-darkening tint and have the magnifying eye-cup on my K-30. I don't need my glasses in the house except to read very small print (pill bottles etc.) but do benefit outside for longer distance sharpness (greater than about 20 ft) and protection against strong sunlight (I have mild photophobia in addition to other issues).

When using the camera I tend to omit the glasses altogether and adjust the diopter for sharpness (I set it so the text in the VF is at it's sharpest). The magnified view is much better for me than the stock eye-cup and I rely on the focus indicators in the VF to confirm the focus point as I no longer trust my eyes to nail the focus (I still really miss the split prism focus screens of my old Pentax film cameras ).

As I am left-eye dominant I find the extra thickness of the magnifying eye-cup helps to keep my nose off the LCD screen too.
09-11-2016, 11:16 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I now wear trifocals and the best comment I can make is "thank God for auto focus!"

If I'm using a MF lens, I take off my glasses and adjust the diopter. I use a lot of my old MF glass on my K10D which has a Katz Eye split screen which makes focusing much easier.
09-11-2016, 11:33 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
I wear varifocals with a self-darkening tint and have the magnifying eye-cup on my K-30. I don't need my glasses in the house except to read very small print (pill bottles etc.) but do benefit outside for longer distance sharpness (greater than about 20 ft) and protection against strong sunlight (I have mild photophobia in addition to other issues).

When using the camera I tend to omit the glasses altogether and adjust the diopter for sharpness (I set it so the text in the VF is at it's sharpest). The magnified view is much better for me than the stock eye-cup and I rely on the focus indicators in the VF to confirm the focus point as I no longer trust my eyes to nail the focus (I still really miss the split prism focus screens of my old Pentax film cameras ).

As I am left-eye dominant I find the extra thickness of the magnifying eye-cup helps to keep my nose off the LCD screen too.
I'm very farsighted with astigmatism, and my eyes are very different from one another. Without my glasses it's a blurry (semi- double if I'm tired) mess. Apart from that, we're similar. I also rely on the indicators because I can't trust my own vision to confirm good focus. With my glasses on, I can see the information line or the image itself in the viewfinder, but not both well or comfortably (nose on screen, head at odd angle and glasses smushed into face) at the same time.

---------- Post added 09-11-16 at 12:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I have the magnifying eyepiece - I like it with glasses DESPITE it making it harder (not easier) to see the entire frame. The reason is that it sticks back farther from the LCD screen so being left-eye dominant I have less nose smashed up on the screen moments and less smear to remove. There are aftermarket add-on rubber eyecups that also do this and I'm still experimenting to determine what I like best. I'm currently using single vision due to a disaster where my multivision lens pair of glasses broke and I have been out of town for several weeks off and on so replacing them has been hard. My backup pair was made with single vision for cost reasons. (I can still pull them down my nose and function well - not too bad close up yet due to my crazy nearsightedness)

Having your glasses break and not being able to replace them easily is difficult, to be sure. I'm glad you can get by with a back up pair. For cost reasons, I went with one really good pair with everything; there is no back up pair, so the prospect of losing or damaging these really scares me. I need my glasses to find my glasses. The workaround I have is a fanny pack with the glasses case in it. If I try but just give up shooting with my glasses on, I can put them away safely.

Interesting that you like the eyepiece with your glasses despite the tradeoffs. I might try it sometime.
09-11-2016, 12:15 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Hello & welcome to the forums

I'd recommend you try fitting you camera with a Pentax O-ME53 magnifying eye-cup. It makes a significant difference - I have one fitted on my K-3 and K-3II, as I find it pretty much essential for manual focusing...
Me too. Wonderful product for my K-50 and my eyes.

That said, I find the K-70 viewfinder works fine as is with my glasses. Slightly different design that makes a huge difference for me.
09-11-2016, 01:03 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm very farsighted with astigmatism, and my eyes are very different from one another. Without my glasses it's a blurry (semi- double if I'm tired) mess. Apart from that, we're similar. I also rely on the indicators because I can't trust my own vision to confirm good focus. With my glasses on, I can see the information line or the image itself in the viewfinder, but not both well or comfortably (nose on screen, head at odd angle and glasses smushed into face) at the same time.

---------- Post added 09-11-16 at 12:02 PM ----------

Having your glasses break and not being able to replace them easily is difficult, to be sure. I'm glad you can get by with a back up pair. For cost reasons, I went with one really good pair with everything; there is no back up pair, so the prospect of losing or damaging these really scares me. I need my glasses to find my glasses. The workaround I have is a fanny pack with the glasses case in it. If I try but just give up shooting with my glasses on, I can put them away safely.

Interesting that you like the eyepiece with your glasses despite the tradeoffs. I might try it sometime.
LOL- the problem has been Time and being in the right city. I also want to get the proper fit. Luckily I travel with TWO pairs of backups. The previous prescription and this pair made just for backup. I will likely not update this pair yet but the next time. I really am totally unable to function without glasses. In terms of diopters my worst eye was around -14 and had a +5 cylinder so effectively about -9.

To be fair, the magnifying eyepiece isn't being used for magnification. I may swap it with the older rubber eyecup only one I have to see which I really like best. The original purpose for buying the magnifying fitting was to help with manual focus but with my eyes I have not found that all that useful. I prefer liveview and focus peaking for that task when it is called for. (not that this is always accurate either...)
09-11-2016, 02:02 PM   #15
Site Supporter

The top portion of my tri-focals is the normal long distance viewing, looking through that section I adjust the dioptre so that the red AF square is in sharp focus and that is it, but it does take practice to make sure I see through the top portion of my glasses each time. I have my camera to lenses calibrated so that I can trust my AF, but slower and more deliberate manual focusing is fine too for landscaped and the like. Depending on the type of shots required lenses with manually adjustable distance scale are great for choosing distance required in focus especially for smaller apertures.