Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2007, 07:55 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Shooting under light snow

Here in Montreal will have 20~30mm of snow today and I would like to go out take some snow scene photos tonight. However, let's say if the light snow still falling later tonight, what should I be aware of?

I already know how to take care of the camera under cold condition, but what if snow is still falling? Should I just avoid that? I used to keep shooting with snow falling down with my P&S, but want to take more care with my K100D...

Thx...

02-14-2007, 08:26 AM   #2

I've shot with my K100D on a rainy day in the woods and managed to keep it relatively dry. This is what I used.

Use the lens hood to lessen the chance of snowlakes landing on the lens. I use UV filter on lens, to avoid having to clean spherical lens surface, it is easier and safer to clean the filter surface.

Wear big coat and warm clothing so that you can walk around hems open so that you can keep hide your camera when not in use. Puttin in and taking out of bag may be too much hassle.

Keep few plastic bags at hand. Tear/cut both ends open and put it around your camera and right hand. It has to be loose enough so you can focus and use the lens but if it's too loose wind will blow it away.

Few drops of water won't harm your camera. Single drops will dry off fairly quickly. Remember, however, that when you're moving in and out or taking camera from under the coat viewfinder and lens may be moist and you have to allow few seconds for them to clean.

Anyway, my K100D survived a day in the woods so I'm now much more confident and not worried about every drop. I'd not go out with it in heavy rain or snow, through.

To give you idea of that particular weather I'll give a random wet scene from that day back in November:

With careful camera handling and covering I managed to keep it unharmed. We had a Canon owner there too, but she was too afraid to take her cam out so I was the only one snapping pictures there
02-14-2007, 12:00 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi aabram,

Thx for information, I guess I shouldn't worry too much. Only if my lowered car can get out of garage tonight, the weather looks worst than I thought~
02-14-2007, 12:53 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I use a large ziplock bag that I have cut a hole in large enough to fit around the end of my lens. The zip part of the bag is large enough for me to fit my hand in and use all the controls. I then mount the lens hood and am ready for most wet weather. I hope you got out today.