Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2016, 03:55 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lens focus calibration function suggestion/wish!

Reading this month's British Journal of Photography, I saw a review of the new D500, which they used with a Zeiss lens.
The reviewer mentioned that he needed to calibrate the lens, which seemed an alien concept to him, for some reason, or maybe he was just trying not to be patronising.

Anyway, he described the process as such:

1) Put camera on a tripod in front of a flat target at a prescribed distance
2) Focus on the target in live view (contrast AF)
3) Press a button combo and the camera sets the phase-detect focus calibration for you
4) Repeat for all lenses

Having just done 5 lenses the Pentax way, this sounds like a much more enjoyable process!

09-12-2016, 04:28 AM   #2

Yeah, the new Nikon models have that feature, D5 and D500, problem is when the lenses are over the scale. On Nikon bodies you have -20/+20, and it seems (to my experience) to be around 1,5 times the scale of Pentax DSLR micro adjustment. I would like to have it with auto tune, still-would be nice to extend that range from -10/+10 to -20/+20.
09-12-2016, 05:25 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

That would be a great feature - I've spent a long time calibrating my lenses manually!!!
09-12-2016, 06:50 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm curious how Nikon associates a calibration with a manual lens that presumably has no cpu to identify itself with.

09-12-2016, 08:01 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I'm curious how Nikon associates a calibration with a manual lens that presumably has no cpu to identify itself with.
How would you do autofocus calibration on a manual lens in the first place?
09-12-2016, 08:52 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
How would you do autofocus calibration on a manual lens in the first place?
Catch in focus works using PDAF so I would assume by using live view until user determined optimal focus then leaving the lens alone and engaging calibration so that the PDAF system could learn the adjustment.
09-12-2016, 12:27 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Some "manual" lenses are fully chipped to the Nikon system (e.g. Zeiss and Voigtlander) and will identify with both lens type and a unique identifier. Lacking that information the camera is not able to do the per lens PDAF adjustment.

Steve
09-12-2016, 02:56 PM   #8
Site Supporter

It's a pretty neat feature, and a great way to quickly calibrate a new lens, but I don't think it is a total replacement for AF tuning the manual way. CDAF is still range based, it just doesn't suffer the potential calibration issues that PDAF can. That means that depending on where the CDAF ends up in its acceptable focus range the PDAF calibration may still be inaccurate (though probably better than nothing).

I was able to pick up a lenscal for a good price, makes the process pretty easy. It also showed how relying on CDAF for previous (manual) calibrations were less accurate than I expected.

09-12-2016, 03:50 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GodsPetMonkey Quote

I was able to pick up a lenscal for a good price, makes the process pretty easy. It also showed how relying on CDAF for previous (manual) calibrations were less accurate than I expected.
With CDAF, once there's a low contrast scene (ie light levels drop) - have fun! 😀

09-12-2016, 09:31 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
With CDAF, once there's a low contrast scene (ie light levels drop) - have fun! 😀
Another plus for PDAF. My K-3II is surprisingly good at acquiring focus in the dark.

Still, I'd recommend calibrating your AF in good lighting, whether manually or using some software magic!