Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2007, 08:14 AM   #1

How to print RAW Q

I've been happy with the prints I get from Walmart. I'll probably continue using them for the odd time I want some small prints. There is a camera store I'll likely use for larger prints.

What is the best way to print .PEF files? Do I need to PP them and save as .JPG or is there a lossless format most printers can use that supports the 12 bits of color resolution?

02-14-2007, 08:41 AM   #2

work flow

This is sort of a work flow question. I use Bibble Pro to post process my photos. when I want to print a photo I save it as a DNG then I use a program called QImage to setup the print out. With QImage I print to a jpg file. QImage applies ICC printer profiles to the output. QImage also does the interpolation when resizing your prints to your print size.

I print at Costco. 8x10s are only $.99 and 12x18 prints are $2.99 each.

You can get the printer ICC profiles for Costco printers at Using Printer Profiles with Digital Labs.

you can get QImage at Qimage Professional Quality Photo Printing Software

Les
02-14-2007, 09:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You cannot print PEFs or DNGs; you cannot even view them! (Same with NEF and CRW btw) And if you could, they wouldn't make any sense as a photograph. It's arguable if they are even RGB. They certainly don't contain the typical number of bytes.

You must process them to some form of RGB; a platform independent format like PNG, Tiff or JPEG or a native file like PSD.

You need to contact the new store for the exact input requirements; but don't be too surprised when it's 8-bit JPEG, moderate to low compression, at 240-300 ppi, tagged sRGB.
02-14-2007, 12:41 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Many labs can use TIFF files, you'll need to ask your lab to see if they are among the ones that can. That said, it doesn't matter. A high level jpeg (level 10 in Photoshop) will print every bit as well as a TIFF. Jpegs are bad for editing because you lose everytime you save it, but for final output to print they are fine.

02-15-2007, 08:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
You cannot print PEFs or DNGs; you cannot even view them!
I can view my PEF files just fine with the popular freeware Irfanview. I haven't tried printing one straight from PEF with Irfanview, as I normally like to put them through GIMP and monkey with the contrast, levels, and curves first, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is possible.

Or am I perhaps not understanding some technical thing here and what Irfanview is rendering on my screen is in some way lacking something that is somewhere within the PEF file? I'm not terribly conversant with the technical details of all this sort of thing.
02-15-2007, 09:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I can view my PEF files just fine with the popular freeware Irfanview. I haven't tried printing one straight from PEF with Irfanview, as I normally like to put them through GIMP and monkey with the contrast, levels, and curves first, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is possible.

Or am I perhaps not understanding some technical thing here and what Irfanview is rendering on my screen is in some way lacking something that is somewhere within the PEF file? I'm not terribly conversant with the technical details of all this sort of thing.
You can look at them allright using IrFanView (or any application that can read the raw format used). Not much to understand there; IrFanView reads the raw data and know how to convert them to RGB-format and show them on screen, just like any raw converter.

But... you don't use IrFanView for converting your pictures, do you? It's not made for converting raw format files really. You need a good converter to make the best out of your pictures.

You know LightZone is free for Linux users?
02-15-2007, 09:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonas B Quote
You can look at them allright using IrFanView (or any application that can read the raw format used). Not much to understand there; IrFanView reads the raw data and know how to convert them to RGB-format and show them on screen, just like any raw converter.

But... you don't use IrFanView for converting your pictures, do you? It's not made for converting raw format files really. You need a good converter to make the best out of your pictures.

You know LightZone is free for Linux users?
I use Stepok's RAW Converter (freeware) for converting to either TIFF or jpeg, depending on how enamored I am of the image and whether I plan to do any further processing on it or not. The software gives great options for making adjustments when working with single files and also has a batch mode.

For further work on the images I use GIMP, and am currently playing with a 30 day demo of Paintshop Pro XI. I go back to Irfanview to do crops since I find its crop function easier to use.
02-15-2007, 10:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

-snip-
For further work on the images I use GIMP, and am currently playing with a 30 day demo of Paintshop Pro XI. I go back to Irfanview to do crops since I find its crop function easier to use.
Ok. Just checkin' up on you...

regards,

02-15-2007, 10:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Yes, but answered by Jonas.

I've no doubt that Irfanview is converting the file to an internal RGB-just noted by trial how long the latest version takes with a K10D DNG. It's not a very good conversion.

In many softwares and on the back of the camera you are viewing a JPEG, perhaps even the 'included' low res JPEG that's part of the PEF/DNG file. Not a good thing for critical work.

But you cannot view something that isn't an image; especially if fully 2/3 of the image has yet to be 'constructed'.
02-15-2007, 11:10 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jfdavis58 Quote
Yes, but answered by Jonas.

I've no doubt that Irfanview is converting the file to an internal RGB-just noted by trial how long the latest version takes with a K10D DNG. It's not a very good conversion.

In many softwares and on the back of the camera you are viewing a JPEG, perhaps even the 'included' low res JPEG that's part of the PEF/DNG file. Not a good thing for critical work.

But you cannot view something that isn't an image; especially if fully 2/3 of the image has yet to be 'constructed'.
I understand (I think).

I was just enormously pleased to be able to easily browse the PEFs in order to more easily find the ones that I wish to go to the trouble of working on. After all, just like my jpg shots, not all of what I shoot in RAW is worthy of effort and will end up being deleted. Being able to identify them in the browser simplifies the keep/cull process.