Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2008, 05:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
k10d doctor in the house???

I have developed a wierd problem with my k10d after shooting in the hot sun one day last week (don't know if the heat caused it though). I usually have my da*300 f4 on my k10d and if I put my 1.7x afa on my shots were wide open f6.7 when I set the camera for f10 (or any other f-stop) camera works fine with the da* but if I try any other lens it shoots wide open no matter what the lcd or viewfinder says, won't stop down with optical preview but will work with aperture ring. It seems odd that the da* works and others don't on "a"(contacts are clean) I can take a shot with the camera set for f11 and the picture gets shot wide open and the exif shows the max aperture for the lens. Digital preview won't work either. Quite strange- I'm going to leave the battery out overnight, And trying to redo firmware didn't help. Any ideas before I call service ???

07-24-2008, 07:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is probably dumb, but have you cleaned the contacts? Sometimes heat/humidity can play silly games on metal. Just a thought.
07-24-2008, 08:22 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

A while back (i think it was salty) someone had moisture inside the camera. It needed drying out to work right again. With the summer heat also come humid days. There may just be a build up of moisture inside the chassis. if you have a well air conditioned room, put it in there with the lens off. You'll probably have to do a sensor cleaning but the AC air will dry out any moisture.

I noticed today that I put a lens down at my feet and when I picked it up 5 minutes later, the front was totally fogged over and it was over 30 degrees C here today.
07-24-2008, 08:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey Ror,
Yeah I tried it a couple of times to no avail, strange that my only sdm lens works fine and da or a lens wont. I'm thinking it still could be in the lens mount or maybe the processor needs reprogramming or something like that (reset didn't work)

07-24-2008, 08:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Which specific lenses does this happen with?
07-24-2008, 08:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Peter
I don't think it's moisture but it's worth a shot before the service, I guess it could use a cleaning anyways.
07-24-2008, 08:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogroast Quote
Which specific lenses does this happen with?
any lens w/o aperture or on a setting except my only sdm lens the da*300. I tried my f1.7x afa, a 50mm f1.4, a50mm f1.7, da18-55, tamron 28-75mm f2.8 and quit after that.
07-24-2008, 08:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I know you said you cleaned the contacts, is this on both the lenses and the camera? Perhaps you need to check the camera contacts as well. The pins on the SDM lenses are laid out slightly different than the non-sdm lenses so your problem might be right there.

07-25-2008, 03:12 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions, I cleaned the camera contacts too. I just put the battery back in- no dice. The aperture ring doesn't seem to work either. (the sdm lens still works?) I think it will need a service call (glad I got my super)
07-25-2008, 05:28 AM   #10
Pentaxian

can you clarify a few things.

when you change the apature you are doing this with the thumbwheel correct, and not the apature ring. No DSLR stops down a lens that is not in A position in any mode other than manual.

You say it shows the apature correctly as wide open i.e. F6.7? I have not tried this with my 1.7X but all other TCs don't correct for apature on pentax cameras.
07-25-2008, 08:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey Lowell,
I change the f stop with the thumbwheel and the camera will say f 8 for example and when I take the shot it will shoot it wide open and the exif will also be wide open, not what the camera said when I took it. Works fine with the sdm lens though. I talked to a tech today and he hasn't heard of a problem like that either. I guess I'll send her in, I did find out it should be a warranty job because they fixed the viewfinder in november
07-25-2008, 09:58 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
Hey Lowell,
I change the f stop with the thumbwheel and the camera will say f 8 for example and when I take the shot it will shoot it wide open and the exif will also be wide open, not what the camera said when I took it. Works fine with the sdm lens though. I talked to a tech today and he hasn't heard of a problem like that either. I guess I'll send her in, I did find out it should be a warranty job because they fixed the viewfinder in november
OK now for a really dumb question. you say it takes the shot wide open, how is exposure. over exposed or not?

also have you tried to see if the lens stops down using the DOF preview? It almost sounds like the apature is stuck open, but in that case you should be getting exposure errors.

Note that the camera controls the apature using the activation lever and moving it a pre-defined distance for each stop.
07-25-2008, 10:17 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey Lowell, the exposures are ok but not what I set it at- very strange the lenses don,t stop down with the preview unless using aperture ring in manual or my da*300mm I'm thinking something in the mount wiring or programming.