Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2008, 08:19 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Anyone contemplating a Samsung GX20?? I checked it out today...

Hello:

I was at a VERY large camera store in NYC today. They had the BEST selection of DSLRs that I have every seen

I was checking out the K20D and K200D. The salesperson mentioned they just got the samsung gx20 in stock. He was pushing it a little bit, and I just listened.

The GX20 looked nice and felt a little different in my hands than the K20D.

So...anyone considering a GX20?

Curious, why would someone purchase a GX20 over a K20D?

pj

07-24-2008, 08:51 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I'd do it if it saved me a bundle of money over the K20D.

The two cameras are fraternal twins.
07-24-2008, 09:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I think the word samsung fits the front of the built in flash better than pentax, theres less of that annoying empty space around the edges
07-24-2008, 10:37 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The difference between the two are mostly in the firmware. The GX20 lacks DRE.

For me, the choice between the K20D and the GX20 is rather easy, I have never seen a GX20 in the shops, I am not even sure if the GX20 is distributed here in Switzerland.

07-25-2008, 02:45 AM   #5
Forum Member

If you were looking to buy one with a kit lens, the Pentax K20D option is 'better' the supplied lens is a Mk 2 DA..... although the lens supplied with the GX-20 may be a Mk2 Schneider or Samsung it has the same optical formula as the DA Mk.1.

For body only, it's whatever feels better in the hand..
07-27-2008, 04:31 PM   #6

Well I bit the bullet & purchased the GX20. Purely for price reasons.

Here in the UK I bought it with the kit lens from lxdirect.com for 639 approx $1200USD I then sent in the rebate for 100 which arrived within a week, total purchase 539 BARGAIN!!!!!

Never used the kit lens as I have a Tamron 17-50mm 2.8

Used the camera whilst covering the Glastonbury festival, the high ISO is great but I have yet to use it like I did on my old K100d, I find for stage use 800 is fine, on the K100d I nearly always had to use 1600 even 3200 for some shows.

Here are some links to my Glastonbury photos which have been published.

Katie Melua Avalon Tent

The Cribs headlining the John Peel Tent

Suzanne Vega shot from the crowd using live view & then cropped slightly
This one shot at another gig in very dark conditions and poor lighting. Black Kids Sheffield Academy.

I have yet to see anyone else using either a Pentax or a Samsung in the press pit yet apart from myself. I am really pleased with the results though & in print the colours are amazingly bright & vibrant with very little grain.
07-28-2008, 01:26 PM   #7

I have the GX-10 and I am pleased with it, so the GX-20 seams like it would be the logical thing to get.
But when I bought mine, the Samsung was about $100 cheaper than the Pentax. So if Samsung is still cheaper, I would buy it without thinking about it. If the prices were the same, I would try the K20D and see which one feels better and which menu works best for me.
07-28-2008, 01:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Call me a snob, but I like my camera to say "Pentax" on it, along with my "Pentax" lenses.

Yes yes yes, I know they're same thing. Pentax just sounds better, m'kay?

You pay for the brand and the heritage... mostly for the brand and that green ring around the kit lens.

07-28-2008, 01:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cabstar Quote
Used the camera whilst covering the Glastonbury festival, the high ISO is great but I have yet to use it like I did on my old K100d, I find for stage use 800 is fine, on the K100d I nearly always had to use 1600 even 3200 for some shows.
Cool shots! I like them. I take it you're a pro, or are the venues in the UK more open to allowing SLR cameras into the shows? I tried to take my camera to a show, but security wouldn't let me in with a "professional" camera.
07-28-2008, 11:23 PM   #10

Gx20

The Samsung range only uses DNG for RAW, no PEF. Shouldn't be a problem. The kit lens may be an issue though so a body only deal is likely to be the safer option.

Menu layout is supposed to be more user friendly than the Pentax and some people prefer the way it feels in your hand.

Cameras are the same under the skin, the long term question is QC on assembly as I have had a number of Samsung products in the past that gave problems. I bought a GX10 on price and am hoping for the best. Anybody know if both cameras are assembled in the same factories?

The GX20 should always be cheaper as it is sourced from a cheaper country.
07-29-2008, 12:14 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I have the Samsung GX20

Got it on special and saved heaps ... so I could not justify the Pentax Badge.

Neil
07-29-2008, 12:36 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Cool shots! I like them. I take it you're a pro, or are the venues in the UK more open to allowing SLR cameras into the shows? I tried to take my camera to a show, but security wouldn't let me in with a "professional" camera.
Working for a festival review site I get press passes to shoot from the pit, my Suzanne Vega pics where shot from the crowd as that tent at Glastonbury has no photo pit.

The DNG for raw is not an issue for me as I use Adobe Lightroom for my workflow, I didn't even need to update it. I use 8gig mempry cards which gives me approx 370 RAW images. At a show we usually only get to shoot first 3 songs so limited time is a factor. When I first started I used to machine gun, but now I am more selected about my shots. More shots = more time on editing

Shame some users are brand snobs when it comes to cameras, to me it is just a tool to do a job. I chose Samsung due to the price & the fact I had many Pentax lenses. When my images are viewed no one asks me what camera I used to do that. To pay more for heritage & a green ring around a kit lens, which I would never use, seems a waste of money to me. With the 200 I have saved buying the Samsung my next purchase will be a 50-135mm costing me further 300 instead of 500!!!! That has to be good....

I think the GX20 represents excellent value for money & feels alot more expensive than it should be.
07-29-2008, 01:47 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I think the GX20 represents excellent value for money & feels alot more expensive than it should be.

I agree... and I am happy as well with my Sammy, like you I took into account that my next lens was costing me far less (which it did) than it would have had I went for the Pentax K20

Great shots and a good site too.

I am a fan of Katie.

thanks for the links.

Neil
08-02-2008, 07:25 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Neil,
Was your GX-20 made in the Phillippines?

Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
I have the Samsung GX20

Got it on special and saved heaps ... so I could not justify the Pentax Badge.

Neil