Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
06-07-2018, 09:52 AM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Shouldn't return if you replace the dud solenoid.
Great to hear...will probably do the DIY replacement over the summer and see how it goes...

06-07-2018, 01:20 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by psoo Quote
I agree with Scorpio that buying used equipment may give increased risk of failure. However, my K50 was bought brand new and it was also susceptible to failure.
Increased failure count as well, if both users report the failure on the interwebz for the same camera!
06-09-2018, 04:55 AM - 1 Like   #33

My family experience:

My K30 lasted about 3 years and 8000 shots before failure.

My brother's K50 lasted about 2 1/2 years before failure.

My niece's K30 lasted about 2 1/2 years before failure.

All failures have identical symptoms related to aperture block failure.

My K30 was the last to fail and I will be swapping out a film body solenoid into it and hopefully that will cure the problem.

Obviously, I won't ever consider a new Pentax with that aperture control system again.

I really think Ricoh should address this issue with some form of compensation/trade in credit to owners of these cameras. The reasoning behind this is that it is painfully obvious that these cameras have a manufacturing defect and that they fail under normal use.

Personally, I would use the credit to pick up a KP as I have Pentax bodies dating back to the 1960's.
06-09-2018, 06:20 AM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by Hamiltom Quote
My family experience:

My K30 was the last to fail and I will be swapping out a film body solenoid into it and hopefully that will cure the problem.

I really think Ricoh should address this issue with some form of compensation/trade in credit to owners of these cameras. The reasoning behind this is that it is painfully obvious that these cameras have a manufacturing defect and that they fail under normal use.

Hamiltom, let us know how that swap of a solenoid from a film era camera works out. FYI, In one of the other threads on this subject in the K-30/K-50 forum, I was told that the solenoid from an MZ-50 worked, but there were other postings that some of these earlier solenoids had the wrong polarity (which you could fix by reversing the wires) or too great a holding power and thus wouldn't work.

06-09-2018, 06:48 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Seriously, get one of the flagship models, used if you have to. K5 ii(s) K3 K3ii. In addition to having a more reliable ACB, there are more color bits to work with and the shutters are quiet. (Veteran of 2.5 ACB failures)
06-09-2018, 11:52 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kernos Quote
Seriously, get one of the flagship models, used if you have to. K5 ii(s) K3 K3ii. In addition to having a more reliable ACB, there are more color bits to work with and the shutters are quiet. (Veteran of 2.5 ACB failures)
And they are just much nicer cameras to work with in every way. I like my K-50 but LOVE my K-3.
06-09-2018, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #37

I agree that the flagship models are excellent. (I've had one since they came out.)

That said, I also like having a lighter body and the ergonomics of the K30 were wonderful.

It's such a shame that Ricoh won't do the right thing and admit to the defect and rebuild customer confidence in the Pentax brand.

Here's an example:

The current price of a KP is about US$900. Intro price was US$1100.

Ricoh could have sold a lot of KP's and made a lot of happy customers by offering $200 trade in credit to aperture block failure owners.

As it is, I get to look at my K30 on the shelf as a reminder everyday.

I guess the bean counters don't get the big picture.

06-09-2018, 04:06 PM - 2 Likes   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree that the flagship models are excellent. (I've had one since they came out.)

When my K30 failed, I mounted a kipon m42 adapter and have been having fun since. There are a lot of old cheap (and not so cheap) m42 lenses to experiment with. A nice second camera to have and no worries about an acb failure.
06-09-2018, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

That said, I also like having a lighter body and the ergonomics of the K30 were wonderful.

It's such a shame that Ricoh won't do the right thing and admit to the defect and rebuild customer confidence in the Pentax brand.

Here's an example:

The current price of a KP is about US$900. Intro price was US$1100.

Ricoh could have sold a lot of KP's and made a lot of happy customers by offering $200 trade in credit to aperture block failure owners.

There is no reason for your K-30 to sit on the shelf.

Put a FA lens on it, and it will work fine, the only change is that you would have to press the green button to perform the metering. You can complain about a cracked egg, or you can make an omelet.
06-09-2018, 06:48 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
There is no reason for your K-30 to sit on the shelf.

Put a FA lens on it, and it will work fine, the only change is that you would have to press the green button to perform the metering. You can complain about a cracked egg, or you can make an omelet.
Yeah, but I bought eggs, not an omelette! 🤣

---------- Post added Jun 9th, 2018 at 05:52 PM ----------

My K-30 didn't see much action once I got my K-3. I have no idea the shutter count, but it only got about a year's use. Kept it at the office as a secondary camera. Then, one day found it had the problem.
06-09-2018, 07:00 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
Yeah, but I bought eggs, not an omelette! 🤣

My K-30 didn't see much action once I got my K-3. I have no idea the shutter count, but it only got about a year's use. Kept it at the office as a secondary camera. Then, one day found it had the problem.
Evidence is that "parking" the camera is the best way to bring on this problem; to answer your original question, rate may be close to 100% if it goes unused for six months or so, but it will still work fine with FA lenses, which both plentiful and reasonably priced.
06-09-2018, 10:28 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Evidence is that "parking" the camera is the best way to bring on this problem; to answer your original question, rate may be close to 100% if it goes unused for six months or so, but it will still work fine with FA lenses, which both plentiful and reasonably priced.
I do have a lot of legacy glass and can use those lenses with the K-30, but I consider that the lemonade from this lemon.
06-09-2018, 11:01 PM - 1 Like   #43
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Evidence is that "parking" the camera is the best way to bring on this problem; to answer your original question, rate may be close to 100% if it goes unused for six months or so,
Your figures and source data, please, Reh!

I have a K-30 that's often gone six months between uses since 2012, doesn't my experience count?

Last edited by clackers; 06-10-2018 at 01:30 AM.
06-09-2018, 11:18 PM   #44

Then there are K-50s like this:
Pentax durability - PentaxForums.com
06-10-2018, 07:11 AM - 1 Like   #45

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Your figures and source data, please, Reh!

I have a K-30 that's often gone six months between uses since 2012, doesn't my experience count?
He can't count you if you didn't raise your hand before or missed seeing it

Then there are these:
Pentax Aperture Block Failure Survey Results - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
Poll to establish relationship of K-30/50 frequent failure issues - PentaxForums.com