Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2018, 09:21 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
I've taken one shot on purpose with DA18-135 and K30 after ABF to test how it works and if I could use it to shoot against the sun. It didn't work quite as well as I hoped.
Is this a JPEG created by the camera??

06-21-2018, 09:36 AM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
How long ago was the warranty repair? There is evidence that the aperture control units used by Pentax in to "repair" have the same kind of solenoid as is in the original unit, so they are just as likely to fail.
The repair came back 2/28/2016. It was there for months awaiting parts.
06-21-2018, 10:07 AM   #78
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Is this a JPEG created by the camera??
No. DNG developed in Zoner photo studio, if I rmember correctly. I was switching to C1 about that time, so not really sure. Had to leave it a bit dark due to flare and PF.
06-24-2018, 04:50 AM   #79
Pentaxian

What happens if I try to use modern lenses at f/22 only?

I know that diffraction would be a factor, but how much?

Has anyone looked at DNG files? Is there actually something there if I process them enough??
For anyone "keeping score at home", as the broadcasters say.... My wife and I went on an outing yesterday. The K-30 performed flawlessly {mostly using the Sigma lens} after I exercised the aperture mechanism "until it worked" the night before, so this is still hypothetical thinking on my part.

06-24-2018, 12:40 PM   #80
Veteran Member

For anyone "keeping score at home", as the broadcasters say.... My wife and I went on an outing yesterday. The K-30 performed flawlessly {mostly using the Sigma lens} after I exercised the aperture mechanism "until it worked" the night before, so this is still hypothetical thinking on my part.
Glad yo're still getting use out of it in spite of the failure
06-24-2018, 04:11 PM   #81
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Glad yo're still getting use out of it in spite of the failure
Thank you. I tried another this afternoon and it worked right first time. I may have to do something everyday to keep it working correctly.
06-24-2018, 07:40 PM   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mine is the opposite. It exposes a few images properly, and then after I start stopping down the aperture, it freaks out and over exposes images like crazy and I have to use full manual mode or adjust eh EV or shutter manually to correct the exposures. If it was not my backup, I would have sent it in for repair by now.

06-24-2018, 07:48 PM   #83
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bhbrake Quote
Mine is the opposite. It exposes a few images properly, and then after I start stopping down the aperture, it freaks out and over exposes images like crazy and I have to use full manual mode or adjust eh EV or shutter manually to correct the exposures. If it was not my backup, I would have sent it in for repair by now.
When you use "full manual", how are you adjusting the aperture?
(1) on the lens via aperture ring
(2) from the body using rear e-dial
06-24-2018, 08:17 PM   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When you use "full manual", how are you adjusting the aperture?
(1) on the lens via aperture ring
(2) from the body using rear e-dial
I don't have an aperture ring on most of my lenses, so I use the e-dial. This does of course mean the aperture block has not completely failed as there is still an ability to control it electronically, but it doesn't communicate properly with the shutter release. If I shoot in shutter priority it selects the wrong aperture, and aperture priority selects the wrong shutter speed, so I have to end up setting the S, A,and ISO all manually to get a correct exposure.
06-26-2018, 10:08 AM   #85
Pentaxian

Thank you. I tried another this afternoon and it worked right first time. I may have to do something everyday to keep it working correctly.
Pattern continued today - one dark one, followed by roughly a dozen good ones.
06-26-2018, 10:14 AM   #86
Pentaxian

I don't have an aperture ring on most of my lenses, so I use the e-dial. This does of course mean the aperture block has not completely failed as there is still an ability to control it electronically, but it doesn't communicate properly with the shutter release. If I shoot in shutter priority it selects the wrong aperture, and aperture priority selects the wrong shutter speed, so I have to end up setting the S, A,and ISO all manually to get a correct exposure.
Someone with more experience than me with this issue may need to respond. This doesn't sound like usual "aperture control issue", which consists only of camera body's inability to implement proper f-stop .... resulting in lens's going to smallest possible opening.
06-26-2018, 12:01 PM   #87

Photos: Gallery
I had such a problem long time ago, with my K10D, until I was repaired under warrantee. Camera had lost control of the aperture. They exchanged not the motherboard, but a smaller, subordinated one. Not sur what is the correct name of that part. It seems it may happen not only with certain models.

Cheers - Klaus
06-26-2018, 12:33 PM   #88
Veteran Member

have you cleaned your lens and mount contacts and made sure they are not gunked up? Your intermittent issues sound like they could have other causes. Stevebrot is the forum member who is best at diagnosis via forum chat so i would PM him.
06-26-2018, 04:01 PM   #89
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For those still wondering about more recent models I've not had this issue with either of two KS-2's or the K-70 with a few thousand shots each.. Here's hoping the chain stopped with the K-50.
06-26-2018, 04:33 PM   #90
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
For those still wondering about more recent models I've not had this issue with either of two KS-2's or the K-70 with a few thousand shots each.. Here's hoping the chain stopped with the K-50.
It's certainly been reported with the K-S2, Gatorguy.

The issue seems to be that solenoid used in the low end models. It can be not up to spec.