Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2016, 10:34 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I found the K100D had REALLY LOUD mirror slap. Kind of embarrassing in quiet places.

09-22-2016, 11:10 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
You're not going to get much for either, keep them both.
I am doing a fair amount of traveling in retirement and love to do landscape work, especially out in the western National Parks. Mountain and ocean photography are my favorites. I also like to take macro shots of flowers and insects and some bird photography. I have an array of modern zoom and fixed FL lenses as well as a lot of old Pentax treaded lenses. I often need to crop heavily to enlarge bird and insect images. Much of my work I make into slide shows but sometimes I'll enlarge a print to 10x8 inch size. I like to go for sharp images, even though I'm reminded by the pros that sharpness is not always an important criterion - lighting and composition are just as important.

---------- Post added 09-22-16 at 02:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I found the K100D had REALLY LOUD mirror slap. Kind of embarrassing in quiet places.
It's because Pentaxians like to make their presence known So don't be embarrassed, be proud
09-22-2016, 11:42 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
It still pales compared to the 6x7...
That's like a thunderclap in a church.
09-22-2016, 02:35 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The K100D lacks sdm and is only 6mp but has a CCD sensor which some find renders colors different than the CMOS sensors in the other two cameras. I have not ever shot a K-x. I owned a K-50, I currently have two K-3's and a K100D and a K100D super. I keep the K100D around for converting lenses from SDM to screwdrive and the K100D Super is a bit of nostalgia for me as it was my return to SLR photography camera after a long hiatus. The K100D (and super) use a Pentamirror which is darker than a pentaprism which may be a consideration - I'm not familiar enough with the K-x to say. Finally the the sales prices of the K100D mean that I am not inclined to sell mine - there isn't a lot to be gained from it and my sentimentality keeps it on the shelf. The K-x market is unknown to me.

I'm sorry if that doesn't help. It's all I can offer.

Edit: I erroneously said the k100d lacked image stabilization originally.
Thanks for your insight.

09-22-2016, 05:51 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
You're not going to get much for either, keep them both.
I'm leanng that way
09-22-2016, 06:21 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by psoo Quote
I'm leanng that way
Donate the least loved to a school or needy family.
09-23-2016, 06:44 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
Sell the kx. Though I agree with another post that you are unlikely to get much for either, my feeling is one should keep the kit cleaned out unless using items. I have a k5 and I actually prefer the images from the K100D Super more, when resolution and low light are not issues as pointed out above. So with the two, you will be left with a very capable vintage CCD shooter and a very recent high resolution, high iso camera.
Thanks for your comments. It seems that most people feel that the K100D is worth keeping along with the K50. I enjoy collecting vintage cameras since I can now afford to buy them for a song, while they were way beyond my reach when I was a boy, umpteen years ago. So maybe I'll keep the Kx as well since it seems that It isn't worth a lot at this time.
09-23-2016, 07:04 AM   #23
Site Supporter

I would keep CCD K100D.
It may be subjective of course, but I believe that some old lenses work better with my K200D than with new K-1. (in sufficient light)
Not like K-1 is the bad camera , perhaps on contrary it is too good for some F, FA and older lenses.

09-23-2016, 09:02 AM   #24
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
I would keep CCD K100D.
It may be subjective of course, but I believe that some old lenses work better with my K200D than with new K-1. (in sufficient light)
Not like K-1 is the bad camera , perhaps on contrary it is too good for some F, FA and older lenses.
Thanks for your insight