Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-21-2016, 11:35 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Which one should I sell?

I own Pentax models K100D, Kx, and K50. I bought them in succession in the hope that I would get improved image quality with each new purchase. I am very happy with the images each gives but, for my type of photography, I don't detect much difference in them as far as the photos are concerned. I intend to keep the K50 and use bayonet mount lenses on it, while I will fit one camera with a Pentax adapter for my older threaded Pentax lenses.

I would like advice on whether I should sell the K100D or the Kx. What say ye, learned Pentaxians?

09-21-2016, 12:15 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the people at Sun Camera had managed to fix my *istDL (not their problem; the relevant parts were no longer available), I would have made it my permanent Takumar camera. My call would be to keep the earliest body for the Taks.
09-21-2016, 12:30 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by psoo Quote
I own Pentax models K100D, Kx, and K50. I bought them in succession in the hope that I would get improved image quality with each new purchase. I am very happy with the images each gives but, for my type of photography, I don't detect much difference in them as far as the photos are concerned. I intend to keep the K50 and use bayonet mount lenses on it, while I will fit one camera with a Pentax adapter for my older threaded Pentax lenses.

I would like advice on whether I should sell the K100D or the Kx. What say ye, learned Pentaxians?
K100D , 6MP CCD , mine give me better IQ than K5. Discusión about it in the Spanish Forum

k100dsuper dando ca
09-21-2016, 01:02 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K100D lacks sdm and is only 6mp but has a CCD sensor which some find renders colors different than the CMOS sensors in the other two cameras. I have not ever shot a K-x. I owned a K-50, I currently have two K-3's and a K100D and a K100D super. I keep the K100D around for converting lenses from SDM to screwdrive and the K100D Super is a bit of nostalgia for me as it was my return to SLR photography camera after a long hiatus. The K100D (and super) use a Pentamirror which is darker than a pentaprism which may be a consideration - I'm not familiar enough with the K-x to say. Finally the the sales prices of the K100D mean that I am not inclined to sell mine - there isn't a lot to be gained from it and my sentimentality keeps it on the shelf. The K-x market is unknown to me.

I'm sorry if that doesn't help. It's all I can offer.

Edit: I erroneously said the k100d lacked image stabilization originally.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 09-22-2016 at 12:02 AM.
09-21-2016, 01:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pasorro Quote
K100D , 6MP CCD , mine give me better IQ than K5. Discusión about it in the Spanish Forum

k100dsuper dando ca
?
To me they look very similar, but exposed differently, so the K5 looks washed out.
09-21-2016, 01:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I've had both. I still have a *ist DS (very similar to the K100d) and far prefer its output to the K-x I used to have. The K-x is better at high ISO, but you've got the K50 for that.
09-21-2016, 02:28 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do have the K100D, but have never touched a Kx, while currently shooting a K5IIs. Personally, I would let the Kx go and keep the K100 for the CCD sensor. It was the first Pentax body with stabilization. I might even consider selling it and acquiring either a K10D or K200d, both of which has a 10MP CCD (upping the resolution by 60% from 6MP to 10MP) - the last ones made by Pentax with a CCD (well - excluding the 645D - which is still too expensive).

The CCD is much more colorful - more saturated than the CMOS sensors. What you give up is LiveView and the higher ISO levels.

09-21-2016, 04:05 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Keep the K100d, get the Kx converted to IR
09-21-2016, 06:43 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You're not going to get much for either, keep them both.
09-21-2016, 08:06 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You do not state what your "types of photography" are! Help us out here so we can give you some more input.

Regards,
09-21-2016, 08:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I have a K100D, a K2000 and a Kx (blue body) and have recently acquired a K10D. If I had to pare it down to just two, it would be the K10D and the Kx. The K2000 would be a logical cut because it's so similar to the Kx but lacks video capability (not that I really use it much) and has lower resolution—10mp vs. the Kx's 12mp. Likewise, resolution, along with weather resistance and a host of advanced features, would be a deciding factor for the K10D over the K100D, which had pretty much been taking up drawer space since I got the Kx a little over a year ago. I pulled it back out this summer when I started selling off my dad's toy collection on eBay earlier this summer. The lower resolution isn't an issue with those shots, for which I've been using a Sigma 28-80 macro zoom lens. I don't really need four camera bodies but I too struggle with the question of what i could hope to get for the lesser ones vs. the modest benefits of keeping them all. Since there's not much chance of them appreciating in value, the decision to sell would logically need to come sooner instead of later.
09-21-2016, 09:08 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Uh, the K100D does have image stabilization, it says so on the front of the camera;

If I still had my K100D (stolen) I would have an OEM M42/K-mount adapter installed permanently in the thing. I think it would be preferable for the CCD sensor, LCD top display, and more metallic build versus the Kx.

I'd sell the Kx.
09-22-2016, 12:00 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Uh, the K100D does have image stabilization, it says so on the front of the camera;

If I still had my K100D (stolen) I would have an OEM M42/K-mount adapter installed permanently in the thing. I think it would be preferable for the CCD sensor, LCD top display, and more metallic build versus the Kx.

I'd sell the Kx.
Yes it does. I had a brain fart; it lacks sdm not sr.
09-22-2016, 01:23 AM   #14
Veteran Member

The only gripes I have with my K100D Super are 1. lack of resolution and 2. just terrible for low light shooting...
The first is a function of the generation of the camera, the second of the generation of the sensor...

I agree with pres589, using a low-ish-res lens that one employs mainly for the rendering it gives than for its sheer resolving power is probably the way to go.

Ah, and uncompressed RAWs... my K-01 produces files that are not even twice as big, but contain more than two times the pixels...
09-22-2016, 10:24 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
The only gripes I have with my K100D Super are 1. lack of resolution and 2. just terrible for low light shooting...
The first is a function of the generation of the camera, the second of the generation of the sensor...
Sell the kx. Though I agree with another post that you are unlikely to get much for either, my feeling is one should keep the kit cleaned out unless using items. I have a k5 and I actually prefer the images from the K100D Super more, when resolution and low light are not issues as pointed out above. So with the two, you will be left with a very capable vintage CCD shooter and a very recent high resolution, high iso camera.