Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2016, 12:24 PM   #61
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The problem with that survey is that it has a certainty rate of plus or minus 3%, if I remember correctly. Therefore, the difference from 4-8% between brands becomes insignificant.

11-27-2016, 02:16 PM   #62
Pentaxian

presumably the figures for Canon are more robust than those for (say) Pentax just because of numbers of records?
11-27-2016, 02:46 PM   #63
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
presumably the figures for Canon are more robust than those for (say) Pentax just because of numbers of records?
Theoretically, the certainty rate would be better if the sample size was bigger for any given brand. We don't know if they have calculated for that in their statistical analysis or not. They seem to indicate that the average failure rate of DSLRs, after 3 years of ownership, is only 4% across brands. This makes DSLRs much, much more likely to still be working after 3 years than, for instance, point and shoot cameras or other digital devices such as laptops and tablets. There's simply not enough data to say any given brand of DSLRs are more/less likely to fail than others.
11-28-2016, 06:19 PM   #64
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
The problem with that survey is that it has a certainty rate of plus or minus 3%, if I remember correctly. Therefore, the difference from 4-8% between brands becomes insignificant.
5%

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
My understanding is the stats are based on a sampling from the full dataset to normalize for differences in sales numbers. Brands with very low sales are not included in the table.

Steve

11-28-2016, 06:54 PM   #65
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
5%

My understanding is the stats are based on a sampling from the full dataset to normalize for differences in sales numbers. Brands with very low sales are not included in the table.

Steve
Are you saying the certainty rate is 5%?
11-28-2016, 09:30 PM   #66
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Are you saying the certainty rate is 5%?
I remembered wrong. 4% is the figure. Below is the Consumer Reports statement regarding the 2016 reliability report:

QuoteQuote:
No one digital camera brand stands out as the most or least reliable; however, Olympus interchangeable lens cameras are more repair-prone than Fujifilm, Canon, Nikon and Sony interchangeable lens cameras. That’s what we found when we asked nearly 70,000 readers who purchased a new digital camera between 2011 and 2016 about their experiences. Our statistical model estimates failure rates for three-year-old digital cameras not covered by a service contract. Differences of fewer than 4 percentage points aren’t meaningful. Models within a brand may vary, and changes in design or manufacturer might affect future reliability. Still, choosing a brand with a good reliability estimate can improve your odds of getting a dependable model.

Steve
11-29-2016, 02:30 PM   #67
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Aha, Thanks Steve. That would explain why they've averaged it out to 4%.
07-02-2017, 12:58 PM   #68

Hi
Did you buy the k-70?
I am also looking at the k70.

07-02-2017, 03:37 PM   #69
Pentaxian

Two Pentax failures but one was not a dslr. The sprocket on a Spotmatic F broke and ws replaced under warranty in mid 70s and my wife's K10D, after 27000 shots had its auto focus stop working after it was dropped onto a hard floor. Plus I had to apply contact cleaner to the e fail of my Kr.
07-02-2017, 08:49 PM   #70
mee
Pentaxian

Everyone's thoughts on their cameras from the 70s and 80s don't matter to someone looking for a camera built last year. Pentax wasn't even owned by the same people 30 years ago. Or even 10..

09-09-2017, 07:09 PM   #71

QuoteOriginally posted by rmagnotti Quote
Hi
Did you buy the k-70?
I am also looking at the k70.
Yes I have been using it for about 2 months.
The only issue I have is with auto ISO, I
it seems to jump around.