Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2016, 10:04 AM - 1 Like   #16
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 238
Just be aware that the K-s2 hasnt completely solved the aperture block problem. Flagship models are more durable i think.
When I upgraded from k-30 to k-s2 the significant improvements I noticed were: 1. More reliable autofocus, my ks2 beats my k30 in low light focusing. 2. Tilting screen is just so useful, I can never live without it anymore 3. Wi fi feature lets me share the best quality picture (small jpeg beats any iphone when indoors) while the moment still matters. And this kinda justifies the expensive purchases.
The extra resolution (higher mp and no aa filter) is noticeable if you crop a lot or pixel peep, I dont really notice it that much, maybe because the largest print i make is only a4 size and most of my shots i only publish in the web.
The wireless pttl master fx i occassionally miss from the k30. But k-s2 lets you choose the output of the onboard flash manually, i find this more useful.
The ability to use an adapter for AA batteries is lost in k-s2. I thought i'd miss it, but so far never did.. The pentax batteries are so much lighter anyway, just be sure to carry a spare. ( ks2 and k30 same battery).
If you print big (pixel shift, 14-bit) or into video as well (phase detect on sensor), or just want a more conventional looking camera (silver/black vs black/orange) you have to look at the k-70.

09-24-2016, 11:44 AM   #17
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,614
K3/K3-II/K1 feature much better AF and also much better build construction and are made to last. Depending of your market, there may not be much difference between a K3 or K70 in term of price. If you don't have that much money, you can also look for some used gear. Many people still sell their K3. That's a way to get some very nice camera for a low price. And there still some K5, K30/K50 out there if you look for them.

I'd advise to take at least a K3 if you can afford it and you are an enthousiast about photography, take quite some photos (10K/year or more), are interested in sport/action or simply precise AF (shallow dof portraiture using off center AF point for example). If you care about low light focussing, you'll need at least a K5-II, KS2 or K70 or obviously K3. Avoid K30/K50 or first generation K5.

If you don't really care and just want nice landscapes and a few great shoots from time to time, a KS2 or K70 would be very conveniant, maybe more affordable and possibly a better fit for the orientable screen and good resolution but honestly a used K30/K50/K5 would do the trick. The camera may not last as long through, K5 already old, and K30/K50 are not up to same standards, but that shouldn't be an issue if you don't make too many photos (<5000/year).
09-24-2016, 04:59 PM   #18
Des
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sth Gippsland Victoria Australia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,800
QuoteOriginally posted by Knock Quote
I didn't see any mention of the K-S1. Why no love? Is it mainly the weird shape that turned people off or is there more to it? I saw a used K-S1 body for $240 which seems cheap.
The UFO type lights, candy colours, the marketing of it as an upgrade from a phone, the lack of two control wheels, lack of WR, and the small grip, sent an unfortunate (and perhaps misleading) message that the K-S1 wasn't a serious camera. Ignore the title, but see the discussion in this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/184-pentax-k-s1-k-s2/282363-k-s1-worst-camera-year.html

But the fundamentals are good. $240 seems a good price. Basically the same feature set as the K-30 (but for two wheels and WR), 20Mp sensor and no AA-filter, which seems like a worthwhile upgrade on the K-30/K-50 line. There was a helpful comparison with the 16Mp sensors here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/184-pentax-k-s1-k-s2/283229-comparison-be...k-50-k-s1.html

One bonus is that (unlike even the flagship K-3), with a free firmware update it can use new lenses that use the KAF4 mount, starting with the DA 55-300 f4.5-6.3 PLM. (But while that lens is WR the camera isn't.)

Last edited by Des; 09-24-2016 at 05:33 PM.
09-25-2016, 01:32 AM   #19
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,614
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
The UFO type lights, candy colours, the marketing of it as an upgrade from a phone, the lack of two control wheels, lack of WR, and the small grip, sent an unfortunate (and perhaps misleading) message that the K-S1 wasn't a serious camera. Ignore the title, but see the discussion in this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/184-pentax-k-s1-k-s2/282363-k-s1-worst-camera-year.html

But the fundamentals are good. $240 seems a good price. Basically the same feature set as the K-30 (but for two wheels and WR), 20Mp sensor and no AA-filter, which seems like a worthwhile upgrade on the K-30/K-50 line. There was a helpful comparison with the 16Mp sensors here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/184-pentax-k-s1-k-s2/283229-comparison-be...k-50-k-s1.html

One bonus is that (unlike even the flagship K-3), with a free firmware update it can use new lenses that use the KAF4 mount, starting with the DA 55-300 f4.5-6.3 PLM. (But while that lens is WR the camera isn't.)
Honestly loosing 1 control wheel and having very basic AF are 2 things that would mean I'll not ever get one. There features that I don't really care (optionnal AA filter, pixel shift, astrotracer...) thing I can live without (WR) and things that are a must (decent AF, good ergonomics). KS1 fail both on AF and ergonomics so for me its the worst camera of the whole K-mount line still sold. And the AF performance on one side and the real difference in longevity between the entry level and flagship level make me think a K3 or K3 II are still a much better choice for anybody already sure is in photography for the long term.

KS1/KS2, K30/K50/K70 are interresting is you really don't know if you'll still do that many photos in a few years, are new to photography, or simply do quite a few photos every years. And that's a good share of the customers.

And I still feel like the K70 marketing is lying, implying a good AF performance it doesn't have neither in LV or OVF... The better high iso are there through, even if moderate improvement.


Last edited by Nicolas06; 09-25-2016 at 07:51 AM.
09-25-2016, 07:31 AM   #20
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 341
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
K-5/K-5ii/K-5iis - 16mp pro body. K-5 may lag autofocus functionality slightly but other aspects will be better. Larger, grip capable, etc. $$
My K30 is still working, and I'm happy with it, but due to some sensor staining ( long story omitted - my bad ), I'm also considering a replacement. I'm wishing I had scored a new K5iis when they were going cheap. Now the used ones are few and far between here in Canada.

Like the OP, I do a lot of macro/close-up work, so I also rely on manual focus a lot.

One advantage of the flagship models that is missing on the K30 is having DOF preview on the on/off switch. My K200 had that, and I missed it when I first got my K30. Yes, you can assign DOF preview to the FX button, but I always find it awkward to find that button when looking through the viewfinder, and half the time I end up popping up the flash instead, so I rarely use DOF preview now. It used to be something I did fairly frequently.

Another advantage of the K5/K5ii series that hasn't been mentioned - I believe those cameras still used mechanical SR in video mode. I don't shoot video, but if my K30 had the mechanical SR in video mode, I might have started. One of the reasons I'd consider getting a K5iis over something more recent.
09-25-2016, 07:57 AM   #21
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 4,614
QuoteOriginally posted by arkav Quote
My K30 is still working, and I'm happy with it, but due to some sensor staining ( long story omitted - my bad ), I'm also considering a replacement. I'm wishing I had scored a new K5iis when they were going cheap. Now the used ones are few and far between here in Canada.
Looking for it 2 minutes on the market place here gave me one asked for $350 (USD) in Canada (Toronto). I'd say you didn't spend that much time looking for it

@everybody: Finding used gear is easy and cheap. There no reason to pay more for less.

Currently there a used K5 for $200, K01 for $200, and that K5-IIs for $350, a K30 for $230, K5-II + Battery grip for $375

Going to ebay you'd find even more like lot of K3...

Last edited by Nicolas06; 09-25-2016 at 08:15 AM.
09-25-2016, 08:14 AM   #22
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 341
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Looking for it 2 minutes on the market place here gave me one asked for 350$ in Canada (Toronto). I'd say you didn't spend that much time looking for it
I haven't looked recently, and more importantly, I haven't checked the forum marketplace in a long time. Thanks for the heads up.
09-25-2016, 11:35 AM   #23
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,878
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
The UFO type lights, candy colours, the marketing of it as an upgrade from a phone, the lack of two control wheels, lack of WR, and the small grip, sent an unfortunate (and perhaps misleading) message that the K-S1 wasn't a serious camera. Ignore the title, but see the discussion in this thread

But the fundamentals are good. $240 seems a good price. Basically the same feature set as the K-30 (but for two wheels and WR), 20Mp sensor and no AA-filter, which seems like a worthwhile upgrade on the K-30/K-50 line. There was a helpful comparison with the 16Mp sensors here:
I'm indifferent to the lights and particular colors {my only requirement is that it not be black - I don't want to scare off potential subjects who think I might be a professional}
To me, "small" grip is highly desired - I still want a camera as small as my beloved Super Program.

I got a K-30 instead based on WR and price at the time.

09-25-2016, 01:37 PM   #24
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 341
QuoteOriginally posted by Knock Quote
At first the problem happened only on occasion, but now it's permanent. I've been very happy with the k30
Does anyone know if there is a trigger for the problem? If one were looking at a used K30, is there any way to tell if the person is selling it because it has begun to exhibit this problem?
09-25-2016, 03:23 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 8,486
QuoteOriginally posted by arkav Quote
Does anyone know if there is a trigger for the problem? If one were looking at a used K30, is there any way to tell if the person is selling it because it has begun to exhibit this problem?
A claim is that a part inside can get magnetized over time and starts to stick, resulting in dark photos.

After all this time, mine is perfect, so can't comment any further.

Members were asked to do a survey, but we haven't seen let alone attempted to interpret the results.
09-25-2016, 03:56 PM   #26
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 341
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
A claim is that a part inside can get magnetized over time and starts to stick, resulting in dark photos.
Thanks. So there's occasional dark photos, and eventually it fails completely? That's the impression I got from reading a long thread about a possible fix ( where they discussed the russian forum theory about the magnitization ).

Mine is still working fine as well in that respect. I just spotted a second hand one for a good price and was wondering if there was anything I should look for that might be a warning of problems to come. If it's just the occasional dark frame, that might not occur during a few test shots while I'm checking the camera out.

Cheers, Rick
09-25-2016, 04:03 PM   #27
Des
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sth Gippsland Victoria Australia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,800
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
my only requirement is that it not be black - I don't want to scare off potential subjects who think I might be a professional

Most togs seem to use the opposite strategy: a serious looking camera, an earnest look, and suddenly attractive subjects are more than willing to pose for them.
(I often look at portraits here and think, "How did you do it, dude?")
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
To me, "small" grip is highly desired - I still want a camera as small as my beloved Super Program.
There is a lot of the NFMSNFA syndrome on this forum ("Not for me so not for anybody"). I've been guilty of it myself. But ergonomics particularly are very much a personal preference. Some people love the size and grip of the K-S1, others hate it.
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Looking for it 2 minutes on the market place here gave me one asked for $350 (USD) in Canada (Toronto).
That doesn't mean the K-5iis is plentiful Nicholas. The more that are around the more picky you can be. From watching classifieds and ebay in Australia, I don't see nearly as many of the K-5iis as of the K-5 or K-5ii, let alone the lightweight models.
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Finding used gear is easy and cheap.
But finding good gear isn't quite as easy. If you only want a K-x with cheap Sigma zooms, there are many to choose from. K-5iis or K-3 and premium lenses - very few. I put that down to three factors: fewer sold than the cheaper models; people hold on to them longer; and they last longer.

I'm not disputing your general point about the second-hand market. I've got two cameras, 9 lenses and a TC and got all but one - DA 35 f2.4 - second hand. But it's taken some years to build up that collection. And every secondhand purchase is more risky than a new purchase.

QuoteOriginally posted by arkav Quote
If one were looking at a used K30, is there any way to tell if the person is selling it because it has begun to exhibit this problem?
Apart from trying it, I don't think so.
QuoteOriginally posted by arkav Quote
If it's just the occasional dark frame, that might not occur during a few test shots while I'm checking the camera out.
Exactly. And it might develop the problem, even if the seller hasn't experienced it.

Like @Clackers I haven't had the problem with two K-30 bodies, but if buying a K-30/K-50/K-500 I think the price needs to reflect the risk. Feeling lucky?

Last edited by Des; 09-25-2016 at 04:40 PM.
09-25-2016, 05:00 PM   #28
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,878
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote

Most togs seem to use the opposite strategy: a serious looking camera, an earnest look, and suddenly attractive subjects are more than willing to pose for them.
(I often look at portraits here and think, "How did you do it, dude?")
I am an amateur, and I want other people to know that. Most of what I do is "like Street Photography" - there are people in the picture and I don't want their behavior to be affected by the presence of my camera. I don't want to be interrupted by someone who wants to know "who are you with", or who wants me to know that images of them or their stuff are valuable, and they had better share in any revenue. I definitely don't want anyone to pose for me. I want to be ignored as the goofy guy with the goofy looking camera.
09-25-2016, 05:20 PM   #29
Des
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sth Gippsland Victoria Australia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,800
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I am an amateur, and I want other people to know that. Most of what I do is "like Street Photography" - there are people in the picture and I don't want their behavior to be affected by the presence of my camera. I don't want to be interrupted by someone who wants to know "who are you with", or who wants me to know that images of them or their stuff are valuable, and they had better share in any revenue. I definitely don't want anyone to pose for me. I want to be ignored as the goofy guy with the goofy looking camera.
Makes perfect sense. (I live in the country and mostly take nature shots, so the challenges of street photography are another world for me.)

Anyway, I'd like to see an end to black as the default colour for cameras. When I got my first K-30 I ordered a blue one like yours, but the supplier could only give me a black one. I'm still getting over the disappointment. Your yellow K-01 looks great.

09-25-2016, 05:35 PM   #30
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,878
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
....
Your yellow K-01 looks great.
Actually, that is a Q-7, but thank you.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dilemma, k30, pentax help, photography, troubleshooting
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Macro Waiting for a victim.............. eaglem Post Your Photos! 8 03-28-2016 03:24 PM
Black & White Snow plow victim bobbotron Post Your Photos! 2 01-26-2016 04:28 PM
Corpse ( Presenting the victim of a ) old4570 Macro Photography 4 11-05-2014 12:09 AM
and yet another K30 memory qustion manmarco Pentax K-30 & K-50 3 02-24-2014 06:23 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:33 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top