Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-22-2016, 12:46 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

another K30 victim

It seems my k30 has fallen ill to the aperture actuator motor problem I have read about on several threads on the forum. At first the problem happened only on occasion, but now it's permanent. I've been very happy with the k30 up to this point. From what I've read it sounds like it'll be more cost effective to just buy another camera. The downside of my dilemma is that I need to get a new camera...the upside of my dilemma is that I will be getting a new camera! Any suggestions on an upgrade from k30 for a budget minded shopper?

09-22-2016, 01:26 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-30/K-50 would be replacing like for like so I'll leave those off. $

KS2 is a 20mp with weather sealing and most features but loses the on board master/controller flash function and some other minor bits. The menus are quite a bit different as well. Tilting screen... wifi. $$

K-5/K-5ii/K-5iis - 16mp pro body. K-5 may lag autofocus functionality slightly but other aspects will be better. Larger, grip capable, etc. $$

K-3/K-3ii - 24mp pro body, dual sd slots, grip available, pixel shift on K-3ii... $$/$$$

K-70 - K30 on steroids. Pixel shift, 24mp, etc. Not too budget friendly at this point. $$$

K-1 - $$$$ (not compared to other full frame - just in this comparison)
09-22-2016, 02:24 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Now would be the time to step up to a K-70 or K-3II. I'd rather leap to the K-3II for about $200 more. This is only if you plan on getting KAF4 lenses later on.

If KAF4 lenses are not in your future, The K-3 is a pretty good buy. I've seen some used ones go for cheap on eBay. A used K-5II or K-5IIs would also be a decent buy if you can score one for cheap. I saw a low shutter count K-5II on eBay with the DA 18-55mm WR lens lens for only $375 a couple of days ago. I almost bought it.
09-22-2016, 03:01 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That price is insanely good.

09-22-2016, 04:33 PM   #5
mee
Veteran Member

K-S2 -- you'll get 25% more resolution, lack of AA filter (potentially sharper images), flip screen, KAF4 support (by firmware update)

For 120 dollars more:
K-70 -- you'll get another 20% more resolution (from the K-S2), 14-bit output, and Pixel Shift
09-22-2016, 05:00 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't forget to grab an m42 to K adapter and keep using your K30 with your Takumars and other screwmounts.

Last edited by paulh; 09-22-2016 at 05:07 PM.
09-22-2016, 06:00 PM   #7
Pentaxian

K-3II to accomodate your present lenses, K-1 if you are looking to go into full frame area.

09-22-2016, 07:26 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'd consider either the K-S2 or K-70, depending on your budget. Both are nice upgrades over the K-30

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-22-2016, 07:52 PM   #9
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
People have listed the options. See the DSLR comparison tool for more detail: Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax K-1 vs. Pentax K-3 II - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

I went K-30 -> K-3, which I got second-hand for an excellent price. The K-3 or the K-5iis seems to me the value models at present. These are flagship models. They don't always have the very latest feature set, but have many little extras that add up to a lot. For one thing, they have a metal chassis rather than plastic - this makes them a little heavier, but much more durable (and they are rated for double the number of shutter actuations). They use a larger battery, which provides more power for faster autofocus and more shots. They have more dedicated buttons - e.g a button for ISO - rather than having to use the four-way controller so much. And there are many small extra features. Many people like the top LCD. One I particularly like is the far superior anti-dust system: I have had endless problems with dust in two K-30 bodies, but only once got dust in the K-3. And while the K-30 did all I asked of it, the quiet shutter, and faster and more accurate AF on the K-3 have been a revelation.

A camera with a 20mp sensor or better still 24mp sensor is a big advantage if you crop a lot. Also, after having a camera without an AA-filter, I would never buy another with one: resolution is notably better without.

If you want one of the lighter-weight models, the K-70 takes many of the best features from the previous models - flippy screen from the K-S2, 24mp sensor with no AA-filter from the K-3 - and adds incremental improvements to video and other things, in a light-weight body. It's kind of a K-3 Lite - more bling (maybe it is unfair to called the flippy screen bling - it could be very useful), but without things like quiet shutter, top-of-the-range AF, improved dust control, 2 SD card slots and greater durability and more solid construction.

Last edited by Des; 09-25-2016 at 03:55 PM.
09-22-2016, 09:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Knock Quote
It seems my k30 has fallen ill to the aperture actuator motor problem I have read about on several threads on the forum. At first the problem happened only on occasion, but now it's permanent. I've been very happy with the k30 up to this point. From what I've read it sounds like it'll be more cost effective to just buy another camera. The downside of my dilemma is that I need to get a new camera...the upside of my dilemma is that I will be getting a new camera! Any suggestions on an upgrade from k30 for a budget minded shopper?
What kind of shots are you taking? If you want an improved AF, then K-3 will be the best choice (or a Nikon D500, Canon 7D Mk II frankly).

If you are ok with the AF in K-30, I would suggest a K-5 II (K-5IIs if you can find it). It will be more durable, will have a more silent, less shaky shutter, will be overall nicer in use with some extra controls and nicer feel of the buttons. And it will likely be cheaper than a new K-70/K-S2. I would just buy it from a place with warranty like KEH, Adorama, BH or UsedPhotpro and be on my way. Those are probably around $350 now. Or just buy another k-30 and use it until it breaks. It will be quite cheap second-hand.

Bit pricey, but they have 10% off right now with a code SAVEANDSAVE, until tomorrow night, will come out to ~$360 before tax.
https://www.keh.com/shop/pentax-k-5-iis-digital-camera-body-16-3-m-p-672612.html
09-22-2016, 10:03 PM   #11
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
Bit pricey, but they have 10% off right now with a code SAVEANDSAVE, until tomorrow night, will come out to ~$360 before tax. Pentax K-5 IIS Digital SLR Camera Body {16.3 M/P} | KEH Camera
Good recommendation. Or you could get a like-new K-3 for not a lot more: Pentax K-3 Digital SLR Camera Body, Black {23.35 M/P} | KEH Camera
09-23-2016, 06:55 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for all of the input. This forum is always helpful. Most shots that I take are of the up-close or macro variety so I normally end up manual focusing--so primo auto focus isn't the most important thing on my mind. Most of the time I utilize natural light, but at times I do use the on-board flash to help with macro. I prefer to stay in lower ISO (100-400). I'm curious about the K-S2. I don't know much about the AA filter. I didn't see any mention of the K-S1. Why no love? Is it mainly the weird shape that turned people off or is there more to it? I saw a used K-S1 body for $240 which seems cheap. I've never bought a new camera---the idea of a new K-S2 is very tempting!
09-23-2016, 07:16 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In addition to that K-3 at KEH, they also have a couple of K-5IIs models. And, today is the last day for a 10 percent discount plus free shipping on orders over $149 when you use the code "SAVEANDSAVE," So, you can get a K-5IIs in excellent condition for $376.20 or one in like new condition for $404.10. The K-3 with the discount is $494.10. These prices seem hard to beat especially since you get a six month warranty with the camera.
09-23-2016, 09:18 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Knock Quote
Thanks to everyone for all of the input. This forum is always helpful. Most shots that I take are of the up-close or macro variety so I normally end up manual focusing--so primo auto focus isn't the most important thing on my mind. Most of the time I utilize natural light, but at times I do use the on-board flash to help with macro. I prefer to stay in lower ISO (100-400). I'm curious about the K-S2. I don't know much about the AA filter. I didn't see any mention of the K-S1. Why no love? Is it mainly the weird shape that turned people off or is there more to it? I saw a used K-S1 body for $240 which seems cheap. I've never bought a new camera---the idea of a new K-S2 is very tempting!
Ks-1 isn't weather sealed. That's the main objection I have. Since the k30 is sealed I felt like recommending the ks1 was a step backwards.
09-23-2016, 09:36 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you don't need the weather-resistance, the K-S1 is a fine camera. I came very close to getting one during the big closeout sales late last year. I ended up getting a used K-5 instead.
Check out the photos and user comments here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/184-pentax-k-s1-k-s2/280044-fun-k-s1.html