Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2016, 10:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member

My K3 is acting weird.

Not real weird, but not right either. Since a month ago, whenever I take a photo, the display says no card in camera. I use sd1, and tried inserting in sd2 and both, but the same thing happens. It's taking the picture just fine, but the display still says no card in camera. Is this some sort of setting problem that can be changed?

Larry

09-27-2016, 10:09 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
have you tried replacing the SD card with a different card?
09-27-2016, 10:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
have you tried replacing the SD card with a different card?
Yes, still does the same thing
09-27-2016, 10:24 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by larryinlc Quote
Try cleaning inside the SD card slots by giving it a few shots of "canned" air. You may have something lodged in the slots that are preventing sending a signal to the processor. Also try a reset to factory defaults.

09-27-2016, 10:30 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by larryinlc Quote
Is either card readable by another device?

What you describe is often the result of the card having file system issues. The cause is often traceable to not doing a proper "eject" (unmount) before removing the card from a computer's reader or similar.* That might leave the residual stuff on the card that makes clean read/write impossible for your camera.

The solution is to reformat the card, but the camera won't let you and the computer operating system format utility is often not a good thing to use (long story). There is a safe format utility designed for SD cards available for download from the SD Association Web site that users on this site have had good success with.

SD Card Formatter - SD Association

Format using the utility and repeat the format in the camera.

Steve

* May also happen with direct USB connection to the camera if cord is unplugged without an explicit eject/unmount. This may need to be done separately for both cards if two are in the camera.

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-27-2016 at 10:54 AM.
09-27-2016, 10:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I would check the write protected tab of the SD card (if it is loose or in the lock position) and while inserting into the camera slot, do it very carefully so the lock tab is not pushed down.
09-27-2016, 10:52 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I have had a similar issue:

I have an SD card in one of the 2 slots but none in the other slot get notice of "no card" but when I check image has been stored on SD card.

If I put second card in the other slot as well no warning

What am I doing wrong

Is this a fault

09-27-2016, 11:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I have had a similar issue:

I have an SD card in one of the 2 slots but none in the other slot get notice of "no card" but when I check image has been stored on SD card.

If I put second card in the other slot as well no warning

What am I doing wrong

Is this a fault
This is exactly my issue too. I have two cards and tried them both in my Ricoh GR with no problems. I put a card in slot 1 of my K3, take a shot, and instead of getting photo result on the screen, I get no card in slot 2. I switch to slot 2, take a shot, and get no card in slot 1. Like you, I install cards in both slots, and all is well.
09-27-2016, 01:54 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You may have the playback mode set the SD2 / the opposite slot. Change it via the button with the blue SD card icon next to it

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-27-2016, 04:57 PM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Adam

tried pushing that button no result that I could see

is it the black button just up to the right of the menu button correct??

Adam and/or anyone else:

another problem, I got a scare while taking photos at the zoo today. K 3 working fine but all of a sudden lost all function, no buttons worked. had two batteries went to one, no difference, switched out lens, no difference. turned off camera but it didn't not turn off completely

ran to local camera shop no idea, had me take out all batteries and press random buttons to "discharge".

reinstalled batteries and camera worked

?????

any thoughts
09-27-2016, 07:15 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I occassionaly have my K-3 freeze (maybe once in a few thousand photos). I just pop out and then reinsert the battery and all is good again. No need for random button pushing. I'm on firmware 1.21.
09-27-2016, 07:21 PM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

the guy at the camera shop couldn't explain the "freeze" but explained the lack of complete shut down of the camera when I "turned it off" as a residual charge? and by removing all batteries and randomly pressing a few buttons, it did shut the camera down completely

I then reinstalled the batteries and the K 3 appears to work fine. I have the most up to date firmware

????
09-27-2016, 09:34 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
the guy at the camera shop couldn't explain the "freeze" but explained the lack of complete shut down of the camera when I "turned it off" as a residual charge? and by removing all batteries and randomly pressing a few buttons, it did shut the camera down completely
Pushing buttons does send electrical impulses to drain any residual charge. While I haven't had this issue with my Pentax, I have had it with a larger electronic device, and trying to start the item while unplugged allowed it to shut down and reboot. I did eventually have to exchange the item (warranty "repair") for this issue, so I would keep an eye on your camera and take it seriously if this issue repeats itself.
09-27-2016, 09:38 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have an idea. Check the section in the menu where you set how you write the files. If you have it set to write raw to sdcard 1 and jpg to slot two and either slot is empty you get this message. Also check the cards you may have images, some raw, some jpg...