Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2016, 12:54 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Copying image files to mac from K-1 using Wi-Fi

I have finally got my Pentax K-1 body, and I am busy trying to figure out how to best use all the features.

There is one simple use case that I have not figured out how to do, or even if it possible at all to do:

The K-1 has Wi-Fi. To me is seems obvious that a network (like Wi-Fi) should be possible to use to make a copy of files (like the image files with the photos in the K-1).

I have been trying to figure out if I can use Wi-Fi to copy image files from the Pentax K-1 to my mac computer.

I have been able to get Wi-Fi network connection between the K-1 and the mac.
I have been able to copy image files from the K-1 to an iPad (with Image Sync).
I have been able to take the SD card from the K-1 and plug it into my mac to copy image files to my mac.
But I have not been able to figure out how to copy image files from the K-1 to my mac using Wi-Fi.

Does anyone know if it is possible to copy image files from the K-1 to a mac using Wi-Fi?
Does anyone know how to copy image files from the K-1 to a mac using Wi-Fi?

Thank you in advance for your advise!

---------- Post added 09-27-16 at 10:04 PM ----------

I just noticed that there was already a thread discussing this: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/326014-help-k-1-wi-fi.html
Had I only found this in the search before posting, I could have avoided to bother you all again with this. Sorry.

09-27-2016, 01:13 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Doesnt fit my workflow.....

.....simply because i store my images on network drives. Once connected to the K1 wifi i naturally lose connnectivity to my network
09-27-2016, 01:50 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It's not really possible. There's a user developed windows app that can do it (originally developed for the K-S2, link in our in depth review of that camera), but on a Mac you'd basically be limited to running Image Sync using an Android emulator.

You can also tether via USB
09-27-2016, 02:48 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's not really possible. There's a user developed windows app that can do it (originally developed for the K-S2, link in our in depth review of that camera), but on a Mac you'd basically be limited to running Image Sync using an Android emulator.
I had a look at the source code for this windows app. It does not look that complicated. The general idea is to transfer JSON encoded data using HTTP...
If I get a spare moment I might try to implement this as a mac application.
(Don't hold your breath. As a software professional and photography amateur, I usually do not have time for everything I find interesting...)

09-27-2016, 03:00 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yup, it looks like a simple interface. I might toy with a Java application that can deliver the same functionality- then the cross platform issue will be solved

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-27-2016, 06:43 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How about Eye-Fi; isn't that available for Mac?
09-28-2016, 12:30 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TB-000 Quote
I have finally got my Pentax K-1 body, and I am busy trying to figure out how to best use all the features.

There is one simple use case that I have not figured out how to do, or even if it possible at all to do:

The K-1 has Wi-Fi. To me is seems obvious that a network (like Wi-Fi) should be possible to use to make a copy of files (like the image files with the photos in the K-1).

I have been trying to figure out if I can use Wi-Fi to copy image files from the Pentax K-1 to my mac computer.

I have been able to get Wi-Fi network connection between the K-1 and the mac.
I have been able to copy image files from the K-1 to an iPad (with Image Sync).
I have been able to take the SD card from the K-1 and plug it into my mac to copy image files to my mac.
But I have not been able to figure out how to copy image files from the K-1 to my mac using Wi-Fi.

Does anyone know if it is possible to copy image files from the K-1 to a mac using Wi-Fi?
Does anyone know how to copy image files from the K-1 to a mac using Wi-Fi?

Thank you in advance for your advise!

---------- Post added 09-27-16 at 10:04 PM ----------

I just noticed that there was already a thread discussing this: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/326014-help-k-1-wi-fi.html
Had I only found this in the search before posting, I could have avoided to bother you all again with this. Sorry.
I believe that you can run Image Sync on MAC by using BlueStacks BlueStacks App Player for Mac | MacUpdate and Android like we have for PC.

RONC