Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2016, 02:38 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter

Ever had one of those DOH! moments?

I was just checking out my new-to-me DA 18-135mm ED AL IF DC WR that arrived today from Ebay to make sure everything worked as it should when I noticed an oddity in my viewfinder. For some reason my shake reduction option was turned off which struck me as unusual as I normally keep it on.

When I went to turn it back on again I discovered that it was greyed out in the menu (and therefore unselectable) and the 'info' screen just jumped straight past the option too. At this point I was a bit baffled and admittedly I haven't used the camera in a while but I didn't think I'd forgotten how to use it to the point that I couldn't turn on a simple menu item!

After several minutes of frustration, endlessly pushing buttons to no avail, I resorted to opening up the PDF version of the Pentax manual and my e-book version by Yvon Bourque. Scanning through both didn't immediately give me an answer and it was only after careful perusal of the Pentax manual that I discovered the cause of my issues as an annotation to a section.

It turns out that the last time I used the camera I must have had it on my tripod because the shutter was set to the 2 second timer option. I had forgotten that this option also turns off shake reduction (as a feature) hence the inability to select it in the menu or info screen. Once I changed the shutter setting I had shake reduction back on again. Go figure!

This picture really sums up how I felt at that time...............

Now I need to take some shots to see how the lens performs.

09-28-2016, 02:47 PM - 1 Like   #2

I had two of those moments today. Thought my new lens had quality control issues: 1. It came with the hood (screw-in type) already attached, so I thought the filter size must be wrong. 2. I forgot it's a variable aperture zoom....

That's a great pic for illustrating the feeling.
09-28-2016, 03:11 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have all of my Pentax bodies set to use back button AF. But it never fails - when taking the first few shots, I'm pushing the shutter button frantically, trying to get the AF to work. 'Doh!
09-28-2016, 03:56 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote

It turns out that the last time I used the camera I must have had it on my tripod because the shutter was set to the 2 second timer option. I had forgotten that this option also turns off shake reduction (as a feature) hence the inability to select it in the menu or info screen. Once I changed the shutter setting I had shake reduction back on again. Go figure!

This picture really sums up how I felt at that time...............

Now I need to take some shots to see how the lens performs.
I've done this twice. The first time, my K-50 was fairly new and I just didn't have all the fine details sorted out yet. (That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.) I took a night skyline shot using a bench as a tripod and the timer and yep, took me till the next day to figure it out. The second time was the Canada Day fireworks with the tripod and I just plain forgot about that. I wanted to take a few street scenes after and aaargh! why can't I turn IBIS back on. It came to me... eventually...

Then there were the times when I thought I had a malfunction, then realized I'd been using a very slow shutter speed or was stopped way down, or both the last time I used the camera... and hadn't reset it ...

I got the 18-135 WR as the kit lens with the K- 50 and I love mine. It gives you so much in so many ways. I hope yours is a keeper.

09-28-2016, 04:56 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I've lost count of the number of times I've hit the shutter only to hear the "beep-beep-beep-..." of the count down timer.
09-28-2016, 05:36 PM   #6
mee
Site Supporter

Ever looked through the viewfinder and wondered why it was pitch black when you're in daylight? I have. It only took a few seconds to realize the lens cap was still on the lens though. followed quickly by a 'doh.'
09-28-2016, 06:29 PM   #7
PDL
Pentaxian

I was taking images of the Nile Project performers in a middle school class room setting. Talking to a person who was a sponsor of the event, trying to take a color balance image of my x-Rite color balance card. Using my K20D and FA 50mm f1.4 in aperture priority mode. The darn thing was giving me the flashing F in the viewfinder.

I thought oh great, I need this low light lens to shoot this performance and somehow my lens/camera has failed. Tried to tell the sponsor that I really needed to pay attention to what was going on with my equipment but you know how sponsors are, they want to be "helpful". Trying to explain color temperature to a 80+ year old lady and not be rude is somewhat of a trick and at the boarder of my capabilities (rude, blunt, snarky being the norm).

So, I took out the kit 18-55mm lens and confirmed it was not the body. I picked up the 50mm and slapped it on, but no joy, so I pushed the release (or thought so) and the aperture ring twisted in the wind. I had moved the aperture ring off of "A". DUH!

Almost as bad a shooting for the Seattle Piano Institute and wanting to get a shot of the fountain on the UW Campus. Mr know it all here did not check the ISO, shot almost directly into the sun at f2.8 with my 50-135. I could not see the numbers in the viewfinder so I shot a few images. Got back home and had some of the best near white images of water and Mt. Rainier on a cloudless day you ever will not get to see.

DUH moments are a matter of course for me these days.
09-28-2016, 07:12 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I think I have done nearly all of these things, another bad one was somehow setting the autofocus to work with a remote control, and then totally focus on the wrong thing.

09-28-2016, 07:13 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Ever had one of those DOH! moments?
Too many to list !
This is a daily occurrence for me ...
09-28-2016, 10:30 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I went to an event this summer. I started taking pictures but somehow the pictures were coming out blurry.
I realised that the camera was not focusing. I checked my back button focusing setting. I removed the lens, put it back. Nothing.
Panic sets in the K-30 is dying. Happiness sets in, a new reason to buy a new camera. Panic sets in where will I get the money, let alone convince the wife.

As I was still fidgeting with the camera try to sort my feelings out, I saw that the focus mode switch was set to manual. DOH!!!
Suddenly my confidence as a photographer dropped. Hope nobody saw that. Switched the focus switch to AFC and everything good.

It turns out I had switched to manual earlier in the morning when I was taking a picture of the family with me in it.

---------- Post added 29-09-16 at 08:37 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
I've lost count of the number of times I've hit the shutter only to hear the "beep-beep-beep-..." of the count down timer.
The annoying thing is if you have it on a count down timer and the shutter speed is set for long exposure.

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Ever looked through the viewfinder and wondered why it was pitch black when you're in daylight? I have. It only took a few seconds to realize the lens cap was still on the lens though. followed quickly by a 'doh.'
This tread is too funny.
I see me in a lot these. But these two? Always.
09-29-2016, 03:13 PM   #11

Same thing happens when you turn on the remote shutter option. What makes it more fun is that the shutter button still works as normal but shake reduction remains disabled...I've made that mistake...more times than I care to admit.
09-29-2016, 03:59 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
OOOH yesss. I forgot to mention that. When I was taking the long exposure on the bench, I pretty much had the place to myself, except for a young couple on what was clearly a romantic date. They knew I was there and I gave them as much space as possible. I thought I had all the notification beeping off. I put the camera on the bench, set the exposure, hit the timer and beep-beep-beep. Cringeworthy does not begin to cover it.