Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2008, 10:09 PM   #1

K100D want power up

So I'm ready to actually start using this camera now that I understand a few things about it ~
and having taken a couple of photos with the setup batteries supplied with the camera ~
I noticed that the camera stopped powering up ~
no Back screen LCD ~
no Menu ~
No Function ~
no nothing at the back ~
though I got to see the LCD on top of the camera display some info AT TIMES ( not consistantly ) ~
so in with some new batteries ~
only nothing is changed ~
the camera's condition is still the same ~
so down the road and cough up big bucks for some Lithium Batteries ( camera rated ) and in with them ~
no change.

So what am I missing ?

Any suggestions anyone ?

NB: When I first put the new Lithium batteries in I did actually get to see the back screen LCD ~
enough to be able to use the function button to turn the flash to manual ~
though after that 5 seconds of normal operation ~
I cannot do anything but take the occasional photo when I see some info on the top LCD ~
then back to nothing.

Last edited by Snapafun; 07-25-2008 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Some functionality happened
07-26-2008, 04:05 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
By chance, did you insert one of the batteries in backwards?.(I am referring to the lithiums, 40 shots, if lucky, with alkalines). I did that one time.
If not , then your unit is hosed up.

Cheers.
Mike.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 07-26-2008 at 04:13 AM.
07-26-2008, 03:54 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply ~ greatly appreciated

Er.... no, the batteries are correctly installed and this morning when I picked the camera up - it actually worked for a few photos ~ then got stuck with the 'Card Access Lamp' staying on.

Turned it off and once the Card Access Lamp went out ~ back on again and back into action. ( Bloody frustrating when these things happen ~ can't define the actual problem to be able to get on with it.)

So I'm wondering if there is a card problem or ~

does the camera have an internal power resourse that needs to be charged up ~

( I left the batteries in the camera overnight and with it apparently trying to work this morning - I'm curious.)

Going to try for a power adaptor today to see if that helps find the issue by eliminating the batteries.
07-26-2008, 04:47 PM   #4
Moo

QuoteOriginally posted by Snapafun Quote
So I'm wondering if there is a card problem or ~
Take the card out.. The camera should power on and everything should work properly.. If you have the relevant custom menu option enabled, you should be able to take pictures too, which go nowhere..
Should quickly tell you whether its related to the card or not.

07-26-2008, 05:04 PM   #5

Original Poster
Sometimes it's the simple things ~ Thanks heaps Moo ~ the camera is working flat out without the card and is yet to crash ( Auto focus at different light sees the focus ring working at a great rate of knots and no stopping it ~ thanks again. )

So for now it appears this problem may well be solved ~ I'll go out and buy another card right now so as to confirm it is the card and not the contacts within the camera.

The card I have removed is a "TEKQ "Secure Digital" 1GB 80X if that is of interest to anyone.

I'm wondering, at this point, before I try anything, whether or not having downloaded the first group of photos from the card direct using the SD card reader in my laptop and running Vista Ultimate, may have somehow formatted the card in a way that the camera is not happy with ?

Any thoughts anyone ?
07-26-2008, 05:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Snapafun Quote

The card I have removed is a "TEKQ "Secure Digital" 1GB 80X if that is of interest to anyone.

I'm wondering, at this point, before I try anything, whether or not having downloaded the first group of photos from the card direct using the SD card reader in my laptop and running Vista Ultimate, may have somehow formatted the card in a way that the camera is not happy with ?

Any thoughts anyone ?
It is usually wise to buy a well-known brand of memory cards. That's one solid piece of advice right there.

Try inserting the card into the card reader. Format it; see what happens.
07-26-2008, 07:25 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks ftpaddict ~ will try that also this afternoon
07-26-2008, 09:02 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
It is usually wise to buy a well-known brand of memory cards. That's one solid piece of advice right there.

I agree with the first statement - top of the line cards are not all that expensive - but respectfully disagree with the second. Format the card in camera, not in the reader. The camera is a bit fussier.

07-26-2008, 10:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote

I ran into trouble doing that - I filled up a card but then Windows wouldn't recognize its own formatting! Had to boot into Linux and get them off there. Ever since, I format only in the camera.
Try cleaning the contacts of that card - they may just be dirty.
07-27-2008, 04:04 AM   #10

Original Poster
Never fear ~ I took it that any formatting is done within the product that intends to use such storage media ~ something I learnt when playing around with my camcorder.

So far so good but yet to really test the camera ~ keeping the Super A handy just in case.

Am looking at getting the AC adapter sorted so that I can clean up all the other possibilities once and for all.
02-14-2009, 06:07 PM   #11

Original Poster
Resolved ~ sort of.

About time for the final update for this thread~ it turns out that by replacing the body and nothing else, the problems have evaporated. So, nothing to do with cards etc, just a faulty body, and when I suggested to the supplier that the firmware needed to be seen to, they backed out and sent me a new body instead. Now have heaps of photos to play with.
02-14-2009, 11:48 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Glad to see it's all working for you. Now post us some pics to enjoy.
02-15-2009, 12:47 AM   #13

Original Poster
One of the advantages of having a camera that can be used without flash for better capture ~ say hi to my grandson Reuben.