Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2016, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by emergo Quote
There is a very valid reason for Pentax Nikon and Canon to continue to develop their DSLR product lines: decades of existing lenses that can still be used on them. For many longtime photogs, the ability to keep using the same lenses that they have owned for ten, twenty, thirty years or more on a modern digital camera can be an incredibly important factor in their choice of a camera system.

However, I personally feel that by keeping a foot in the past, the major manufacturers can be hesitant to adopt some of the newer technologies and further develop their product lines into new directions - leaving the door open for other manufacturers like Sony, Fuji, Olympus and Panasonic to do so. Are Pentax, Nikon and Canon wrong in continuing DSLR products? Of course not. There will likely always be customers who value DSLR products.
Yes, and no.

In 1995 I moved from Pentax to Canon, mostly because I liked Canon's AF solution so much better than what Pentax was providing. {A year ago I returned to Pentax because of the bodies} As nearly as I can tell, the KAF4 lens system that Pentax recently announced, with exactly one lens so far, is essentially the same as the USM system that attracted me to Canon back then {and the best way Pentax can get me to buy a K-70 soon would be to provide a few more KAF4 lenses}. When Canon went to that EF-mount system, they provided no convenient upgrade path as far as I knew {as a Pentax user, that didn't interest me in any case}; Canon users must have largely retired their FD-mount systems and bought new EF-mount systems. When I was a Canon user, I didn't hear Canon users talk about using older lenses - people were excited about the new stuff coming from Canon - and Canon has sold a lot of new lenses. My personal belief is that Canon lenses remain the standard against which others are measured. When Canon introduced their EOS-M line, they did provide a convenient way of using their now-very-popular EF-mount lenses with it. Their first MILC cameras looked like a waste, but the newly announced EOS-M5 finally looks like they are trying {although the price seems high to me}. Yes, there will always be users - most likely those buying the expensive stuff - who will value DSLR products, but there will also be customers who value MILC products. I believe that Canon's lens solution makes sense - electronic lenses at both levels, with an easy way to use larger lenses on the MILC system - even though they don't always have the bodies right.

10-03-2016, 10:04 AM - 1 Like   #47

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Yes, and no.

In 1995 I moved from Pentax to Canon, mostly because I liked Canon's AF solution so much better than what Pentax was providing. {A year ago I returned to Pentax because of the bodies} As nearly as I can tell, the KAF4 lens system that Pentax recently announced, with exactly one lens so far, is essentially the same as the USM system that attracted me to Canon back then {and the best way Pentax can get me to buy a K-70 soon would be to provide a few more KAF4 lenses}. When Canon went to that EF-mount system, they provided no convenient upgrade path as far as I knew {as a Pentax user, that didn't interest me in any case}; Canon users must have largely retired their FD-mount systems and bought new EF-mount systems. When I was a Canon user, I didn't hear Canon users talk about using older lenses - people were excited about the new stuff coming from Canon - and Canon has sold a lot of new lenses. My personal belief is that Canon lenses remain the standard against which others are measured. When Canon introduced their EOS-M line, they did provide a convenient way of using their now-very-popular EF-mount lenses with it. Their first MILC cameras looked like a waste, but the newly announced EOS-M5 finally looks like they are trying {although the price seems high to me}. Yes, there will always be users - most likely those buying the expensive stuff - who will value DSLR products, but there will also be customers who value MILC products. I believe that Canon's lens solution makes sense - electronic lenses at both levels, with an easy way to use larger lenses on the MILC system - even though they don't always have the bodies right.
i was speaking in generalities, as we all know that most SLR lenses can be converted for use on mirrorless cameras and a clever manufacturer could easily make that an integrated part of a new mirrorless system. The continuation of existing SLR mounts is only one factor in many at play, of course, in the continuity of the SLR camera designs: lower R&D costs, performance, protection of current product lines, marketing, the belief that SLR is just "better" for one reason or another, etc etc. I do believe continuity of the Pentax K mount or Nikon F mount or what have you is a major consideration in the continuation of the SLR design, especially for the manufacturers - but also for users. How many times on this forum has someone feared the discontinuation of the K mount? For a manufacturer, it's a hell of a marketing claim (and they all do it) to say that "you can mount nearly every Pentax lens from the past fifty years on this camera" - plus, they don't have to spend a bunch of R&D cash on developing non-SLR systems.

Perhaps SLRs have a competitive edge over mirrorless in some applications - but those days will soon be over, and we will still be left with user preference and the market to decide what is manufactured in the future. In the film days, I shot with Pentax, Canon and Nikon SLRs. I've owned both Canon and Pentax DSLRs. Now, except for my two Nikon Fs, I do not own any SLRs. I've made the switch to mirrorless, first with the Q and K-01, and now with micro four thirds, and I'm watching what Sony is up to with a keen eye.

Like you, I am really interested in the Canon EOS-M5. It looks like it could finally be a successful mirrorless for Canon - but one has to wonder if Canon and Nikon (and possibly Pentax) have released lackluster mirrorless camera systems in the past to protect their DSLR business.

So much is changing so quickly these days, that we have more options than ever before. I think it really comes down to the individual to educate themselves, try the gear, and make a decision based on what is right for them and what they do. People like what they like for reasons that are honest and justified for them, and I would never presume to think that one of us or the other was wrong with our approach.