Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2016, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

The thing with the optical viewfinders, is that they depend very much on the format - the larger the format, the better the viewfinder.
Your K-r has a lower quality pentamirror viewfinder; when I said a good DSLR (actually a DSLR with a good viewfinder) I was thinking at the very least of an APS-C pentaprism viewfinder (pretty much any current Pentax model). The K-1 is better than that, but it doesn't appear you're considering to spend that kind of money on "full frame".
I see now you also have a ME Super... now that's a viewfinder! (for a small format camera). Sorry, can't have one on a "full frame" DSLR. Blame the autofocus, which steals light.

And since you were specifically asking about the K-01 - sorry for side-tracking along the question: there's no advantage in buying the K-01, except if you think it's fun (and, perhaps, a smaller size). The K-01 is just a DSLR with it's SLR system removed, and permanently stuck in Live View. There's no EVF support at all - you have to use the back viewfinder.
But some people here have it and enjoy using it a lot, I think.

---------- Post added 29-09-16 at 08:41 PM ----------

P.S. It has begun

09-29-2016, 10:43 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
So mirrorless also won't have that "clunk" I hear every time I take a snap with my K-r?? That might be useful in nature shots when I'm trying not to startle the squirrels.
09-29-2016, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

There are DSLR cameras much quieter than your K-r (which is quite noisy) - try a K-5 or K-3 series camera. But you're correct, the mirrorless won't have that "clunk" generated by the mirror moving up
However, some mirrorless cameras do have mechanical shutters, and some of them are quite noisy. The A7R (not II) was described by having a "clunk" more vigorous than a Pentax 645 DSLR. That's some achievement!

Oh, it's too late to warn you but you just opened a can of worms a billion times more foul than mere "DSLR vs. MILC" discussions. You'll see
09-29-2016, 10:47 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Your K-r has a lower quality pentamirror viewfinder; when I said a good DSLR (actually a DSLR with a good viewfinder) I was thinking at the very least of an APS-C pentaprism viewfinder (pretty much any current Pentax model). The K-1 is better than that, but it doesn't appear you're considering to spend that kind of money on "full frame".

---------- Post added 29-09-16 at 08:41 PM ----------

P.S. It has begun
Yup, I'm aware that my K-r is a beginners camera. Since I'm a beginner still I'm cool with that. I'm putting money into glass at this point. When I manage to actually get more decent shots than cruddy shots I'll consider upgrading.

---------- Post added 09-29-16 at 10:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote

Oh, it's too late to warn you but you just opened a can of worms a billion times more foul than mere "DSLR vs. MILC" discussions. You'll see
Ok, can I be sneaky and change it to "is a Pentax branded camera strap more desirable than a plain one"? Although that might cause a ruffle as well.

09-29-2016, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by madison_wi_gal Quote
So mirrorless also won't have that "clunk" I hear every time I take a snap with my K-r?? That might be useful in nature shots when I'm trying not to startle the squirrels.
My understanding is that the K-01 is like a K-30 permanently in LiveView, so it won't move a mirror for each picture, but it will move a focal-plain shutter. My {limited} experience with a K-30 in LV is that the shutter is almost as noisy as the mirror. My only truly quiet camera is my Q-7, with its leaf shutter, but I'm not aware of any other ILC with that kind of arrangement.
09-29-2016, 10:54 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
South Bend! Yay Studebaker.

Now back to the thread...
09-29-2016, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Pentax Q series is also mirrorless.

09-29-2016, 11:03 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Ok, can I be sneaky and change it to "is a Pentax branded camera strap more desirable than a plain one"? Although that might cause a ruffle as well.
It's about that post's (#17) last word; but let's not write it again!
09-29-2016, 11:05 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This issue is also mixed up with other issues in photography such as: what manly man photographer of manly sportsmen is going to want to show up on the sidelines with a dainty little mirrorless camera? There's an unspoken rule that bigger cameras take better pictures and mirrors do add bulk. So if you care more about what others think of your equipment than you do about your pictures, that might influence your choice.

The advantage of opening a can of worms is that you get to see all the worms and figure out which ones you want. And it's all worms. Although I tried to list the advantages of mirrored vs. mirrorless, you can flip those lists to be the disadvantages of the other.

Kunzite gave the best advice: try stuff and have fun!
09-29-2016, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I didn't mention the K-01 specifically, although I own one. The K-01 is an odd bird. Pentax kept the same mount as for normal Pentax SLRs, so it isn't particularly smaller than any of the other tiny Pentax SLRs out there (like the kx or K-S1). It doesn't have an EVF so you have to compose using the rear screen. The biggest positive is that it is relatively small and it can take any k mount lens without an adapter.

If I wanted a small k mount camera, I would probably get a K-S1 as that has significantly better performance over the K-01 and is very similar in size while still having a viewfinder.
09-29-2016, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

South Bend! Yay Studebaker.
I always wanted an Avanti.
09-29-2016, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #27
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Ok, so that might explain why the K-01 was sold with the flattie 40. Kind of made it a high end point and shoot. It's just that I see a lot of K-01's on eBay, but that might be just because they are more in my price range (or people are dumping everything to pay for the K-1) and it is my imagination that they are more prevalent.
The K-01 is a bit of an oddball because DSLR cameras like the K-30 and K-50 have its entire feature set, also have the mirror to fall back on, and are more ergonomic yet only slightly heavier. So think of the K-01 as a subset of a DSLR (note this doesn't apply to most other mirrorless cameras).

Because the K-01 uses a lens mount designed for DSLRs, true compactness can only be achieved with select primes. Pentax never made any mirrorless-only K mount lenses.

Finally, Pentax's second generation live view AF (found in the K-01) isn't the fastest with telephoto lenses, so keep that in mind.

Not hating on the K-01, just trying to throw out the facts as I see them to help you make an informed decision There are many happy K-01 owners here and elsewhere, but there are also plenty of other equally affordable and capable Pentax DSLRs on the used market such as the ones I mentioned above.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-29-2016, 12:16 PM - 1 Like   #28

Three years ago I pitted a Panasonic GH1 against a Canon 50D and chose to keep the GH1. Before digital I was using an SLR, so went from optical finder to evf. My reasons, at the time were:

1. Lighter smaller body and lenses. (In my experience, normal and telephoto m43 lenses are not as large as DSLR. Case in point, my lovely, compact and sharp Panasonic 45-200.)
2. At the time, a mirror less flagship system was more affordable.
3. The copy I had of Canon's 15-85 IS lens was soft at the sides, so that I had to crop to the point that 16 mp were no advantage over 12. My Pannie 14-45 was sharp except in the far corners, and more affordable.
4. The evf was smaller than I'd have liked (same as my GH3) but never gave me issues other than in very low light. Maybe all evfs are not created equal.
5. Ergonomics. (Rarely have i needed to go digging into my Pannie's menu. There are buttons on it I have never used.)

Then I stumbled across the Pentax K3II, and it was just a matter of finding a lens or two I could love. But I will say, if it was mirrorless, I'd like it even more.
09-29-2016, 12:16 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
I always wanted an Avanti.
Depends on the Avanti. Original had the modified Packard-Loewy Hawk 289 engine, which was awesome and took no sh** from anyone (my dad had a '64 Grand Turismo Hawk and that could pass cars going up a mountain pulling a horse trailer). The Avanti II had a Chevy Corvette engine and further permutations wound up with Ford engines. Studebaker vs. Chevy vs. Ford, that is a whole new can of worms, isn't it?
09-29-2016, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

More worms! Never drove one, just liked the styling. There's one here in town I see occasionally.

Now, back to the thread...