Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2007, 04:41 PM   #31
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Thanks for your input. However, I have been shooting this way for years and never had a problem with that other brand..I would use the 17-40 lens sometimes literally placing the camera on the floor and the model towering sometimes up to six feet about eight feet from me, focus on the eyes and the eyes were in focus. That is all I really want. I think there is an issue with the camera and will probably just have to have a minor adjustment to remedy it.

The 40 and 70 aren't a problem. There is a problem with the 21 and somewhat less with the 16-45. They are both incredibly sharp lenses if focussed manually. In fact I would dare to say that the 16-45 is as sharp as the 21mm, which might make the 21mm redundant..and no I am not giving it away! I am reading your thoughts!

...and thank you so much for your input. I am as perplexed as you are. I'm am not a tech person, just a "Dumb" Fashion Photographer...

No, you are a VERY VERY fine Professional Fashon Photographer !!!!

wll

02-15-2007, 04:54 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I am Cursed..

QuoteOriginally posted by Denis Quote
SURE...!

I asked my son to quickly pose for me as a test. It was quick(teenage kids, no patience). Took images at 23mm F7.1 100 iso with focus offset to max on either side. Crop eye and foot to show difference. First set is with focus to right follow by left. Don't look at the image but the focus difference. AS I said this was very quick.
There you have it...Yours is fine! It is Perfect...Why? Because you hath been a loyal and unwavering "Pentaxcostel". You never wavered. But I hath betrayith my oath to the other God..This MUST be a spiritual conspiracy. I am paying my dues, this is my Karma for leaving Canon so abruptly and without the possibility of family counselling...Oh Krishna, be merciful..I hath sinned. Giveth me the strength to endure this test of intestinal fortitude and giveth me the strength not to shize myself the next time I have to pass a Canon booth in the Holy Temple of PMA...
Oh..Yee who walks through the temple of PMA and hath been banished from the Church of DP-Reviews shall suffer the anguish of low iso noise and linear banding and suffer the lose of your focus. But he who hath not wavered shall reap yee benefits for ever and ever...Amen

Now get me a VALIUM the size of a HOCKEY PUCK...

Last edited by benjikan; 02-15-2007 at 05:11 PM.
02-15-2007, 05:01 PM   #33
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thy sins have been forgiven thee, my son... er, brother.... er, fellow photo dude. Has anybody seen my robes?
02-15-2007, 05:09 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes "Bruthy"

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
Thy sins have been forgiven thee, my son... er, brother.... er, fellow photo dude. Has anybody seen my robes?
Yes "Bruthy" they are where you keep your mascara and stiletto high heels...

02-15-2007, 05:42 PM   #35

There you have it...Yours is fine! It is Perfect...Why? Because you hath been a loyal and unwavering "Pentaxcostel". You never wavered. But I hath betrayith my oath to the other God..This MUST be a spiritual conspiracy. I am paying my dues, this is my Karma for leaving Canon so abruptly and without the possibility of family counselling...Oh Krishna, be merciful..I hath sinned. Giveth me the strength to endure this test of intestinal fortitude and giveth me the strength not to shize myself the next time I have to pass a Canon booth in the Holy Temple of PMA...
Oh..Yee who walks through the temple of PMA and hath been banished from the Church of DP-Reviews shall suffer the anguish of low iso noise and linear banding and suffer the lose of your focus. But he who hath not wavered shall reap yee benefits for ever and ever...Amen

Uh, I think I'm in trouble. I switched from Canon to Pentax as well! I may be spared some of your grief, as I made the switch from Canon manual focus film cameras to Pentax digital. I think (hope) my transgression may not anger the gods quite as much.

Chris
02-15-2007, 06:04 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh Yeah?

QuoteOriginally posted by silverbullet Quote
Uh, I think I'm in trouble. I switched from Canon to Pentax as well! I may be spared some of your grief, as I made the switch from Canon manual focus film cameras to Pentax digital. I think (hope) my transgression may not anger the gods quite as much.

Chris
If you are soooo proud of your transgression, let's do a little experiment. It will be a kind of "Gauntlet" game. Go to DP Reviews and go to the Canon Forums section. Announce the fact that you converted to "Pentaxcostilism" and watch what transpires...Come back after the battle and tell us what happened. That is, if you can make it back...Now be brave, go in there and say the word!

OOOOHHH, I hope I haven't done another "Faux Pas!"
02-15-2007, 06:35 PM   #37
Inactive Account

Yes "Bruthy" they are where you keep your mascara and stiletto high heels...
Ah yes, and the blue dress. Now I remember. lol

02-15-2007, 10:22 PM   #38
wll
Veteran Member

benjikan

If you are soooo proud of your transgression, let's do a little experiment. It will be a kind of "Gauntlet" game. Go to DP Reviews and go to the Canon Forums section. Announce the fact that you converted to "Pentaxcostilism" and watch what transpires...Come back after the battle and tell us what happened. That is, if you can make it back...Now be brave, go in there and say the word!

Ben, Like I said before, you are a very fine photographer, I wish I had your talent.

wll
02-16-2007, 02:33 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You Do....

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
Ben, Like I said before, you are a very fine photographer, I wish I had your talent.

wll

You have something much more important, "You have your own talent!"

Like when I just got in to photography and one negativist said to me, "Ben there are over ten thousand photographers in New York, you'll never make it!" and me in my childlike naiveté said "Yeah maybe there are ten thousand photographers in New York, but there is only one Benjamin Kanarek!"...
02-16-2007, 02:36 AM   #40
Inactive Account

I hope all this works out as I would hate for Benjikan to g back to the darkside.

It is a pleasure to see a Pro photographer who is willing to share knowledge, experience on a level a pleb like me can understand and still maintain a sense of humour.

I hope Pentax have learnt from this
ie don't just grab a camera off the shelf, Make sure you check adjust and clean and polish the camera (then check it again and have a spare on hand just in case) you are going to give a sponsored pro!
02-16-2007, 03:00 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Backup

QuoteOriginally posted by Falcons Quote
I hope all this works out as I would hate for Benjikan to g back to the darkside.

It is a pleasure to see a Pro photographer who is willing to share knowledge, experience on a level a pleb like me can understand and still maintain a sense of humour.

I hope Pentax have learnt from this
ie don't just grab a camera off the shelf, Make sure you check adjust and clean and polish the camera (then check it again and have a spare on hand just in case) you are going to give a sponsored pro!
Before the shoot, I played around with both bodies but not critically. I do have two bodies, but used one primarily during the shoot and it was that one that was more out than the other..Oh well, live and learn, I guess...
02-16-2007, 04:18 AM   #42
Veteran Member

You have something much more important, "You have your own talent!"

Like when I just got in to photography and one negativist said to me, "Ben there are over ten thousand photographers in New York, you'll never make it!" and me in my childlike naiveté said "Yeah maybe there are ten thousand photographers in New York, but there is only one Benjamin Kanarek!"...
Good quote! I will remember that one. I know a lot of "professional" photographers but many are crap, most are average and very very few are superb, usually because they do their own thing and take risks to be creative within their medium.

Its hard work being average, but all the good ones have more work than they can handle...

Me? I need a lot more studio time and a few willing models, but I'll get there. Seems like you've been there a while
02-16-2007, 09:32 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
How long..

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
Good quote! I will remember that one. I know a lot of "professional" photographers but many are crap, most are average and very very few are superb, usually because they do their own thing and take risks to be creative within their medium.

Its hard work being average, but all the good ones have more work than they can handle...

Me? I need a lot more studio time and a few willing models, but I'll get there. Seems like you've been there a while
"Seems like you've been there a while"

Ah What time is it? I see it is 5:30 PM here in Paris...I've been doing this for ah let me see..Hmm diffiult one...Ah, let me get my calculator..OK..Yeah I've got it;

About an Hour and fifty six minutes!
02-16-2007, 09:57 AM   #44

Thanks for the offer Benjikan, but I think I'll pass. I'm happy to 'just' be a pentax supporter, without being a soldier / sacrificial lamb in the war. I'm proud of the choice I made, but I don't feel the need to carry my flag into the heart of the lions den. I'd rather just hang out here with like-minded users, or with my friends who are photographers. We all shoot different brands, and none of us care. Everyone has their reasons why they chose the brand they did, and for each individual, those reasons are valid. The important thing is that the choices were individual. I only know one other person who shoots Pentax. One of my friends shoots Oly. Many shoot Canon. We are all happy with our choices. The pictures we all take have nothing to do with the name on our cameras. Our photos are expressions of ourselves, not our camera brands.
We are happy to have you here Ben. No need to venture into DPR ever again!

Chris
02-16-2007, 10:38 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Time for a dumb question, perhaps......
Somewhere I have read that the extreme left and right autofocus sensors are vertical only, not crosses as the remainder of the sensore are. This means that they will be susceptible to error for certain types of images since they will work best on horizontal lines (normal camera orientation) or vertical lines (with the camera orientation you shot). Given the location of the sensor, and the image you have of the subject, is it possible that the focus was not where you thought it was?

p.s. The only really dumb questions are those not asked, but which should have been!