Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2016, 11:30 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
My k100d has an extra ball bearing... where does it go?

I dissassembled my k100d. a ball bearing fell out when I turned the camera over to retrieve a screw I dropped.

now I dont know where to put it. It emerged up near the LCD, probably between the flash and the lcd while the main computer was looseened to let me get to the ccd and SR system.

hints appreciated! a parts list or exploded view would probably be helpful, havn't been able to locate one.
(The images i found of the K20d weren't detailed enough to distinguish a smudge form a screw from a ball bearing)

~nicholas

10-02-2016, 12:20 AM - 1 Like   #2

It's probably from the e-dial: there's a small ball bearing on top of a spring underneath the dial. If it's this that's fallen out the dial will turn more freely and won't have clearly defined clicks.

It's fairly easy to put back: you'll need to take of the top LCD then undo the screws which hold the dial assembly in place. With the wheel off you should see a little tube on the lower half of the assembly. Hopefully the spring will still be in place so all you'll need to do is pop the ball in the top of the tube, put the wheel back then screw the assembly back together.
10-02-2016, 12:21 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Search this site for k100d service manual. Theres a thread. Not sure its up to date.
10-02-2016, 12:24 AM   #4

Original Poster
found it, page 15/94 the ball detent for the selector dial.
Not the SR system as I had previously suspected yet each inspection showed all 6 bearing to be with the sr.
yay!

---------- Post added 10-02-16 at 12:45 AM ----------

drats, I mangled one of the flex cables on the back board. the wider one. scratched accross the contacts, then cut the 5 or 6 contacts at bottom right when looking at the back of camera (picture soon).

should I power it on anyways?

can i get a replacement cable?

how do you get that flex cable attached again!?

10-02-2016, 08:13 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Given the age of the camera it's doubtful you can find a replacement connector unless you find a parts body. At least in North America Ricoh does not sell parts to end users. Probably for the very good reasons as we can see here. If the flex connector is only scratched you might be able to repair the traces with some conductive paint. Otherwise you'll have to solder jumper wires between the connector terminals.

If you didn't disassemble any of the dials or switches it's not likely the ball bearing came from any of them.
10-02-2016, 02:06 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Given the age of the camera it's doubtful you can find a replacement connector unless you find a parts body. At least in North America Ricoh does not sell parts to end users. Probably for the very good reasons as we can see here. If the flex connector is only scratched you might be able to repair the traces with some conductive paint. Otherwise you'll have to solder jumper wires between the connector terminals.

If you didn't disassemble any of the dials or switches it's not likely the ball bearing came from any of them.
Bummer about ricoh not even offering parts. I did contact them and maybe they will connect me to a supplier.

Jumper cables... hmm. I managed to remove the CCD without any need for soldering, and maybe now I will need some =(

Even if I did manage to do jumper cables I need advice on how to recconect the flex cable, it does not want to recconect! (I completed my reassembly, leaving the cable disconnected, and the camera works fine. it is interesting that the LCD powers, but no image, I guess the large flex cable gives information, and the small one power.)

I did take off the dial wheel, so that is where the ball bearing came from.

thanks NaN