Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2016, 04:42 PM   #16
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rich_S Quote
I still plan to upgrade to a K-70 when the family budget permits
Or a used K-3 for about the same money: better AF, better metering, more durable body, excellent ergonomics and many other little advantages that the flagship models offer. That is, unless wifi, an articulating screen, pixel shift or lighter weight is a must-have.

12-06-2016, 09:01 AM   #17
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Or a used K-3 for about the same money: better AF, better metering, more durable body, excellent ergonomics and many other little advantages that the flagship models offer. That is, unless wifi, an articulating screen, pixel shift or lighter weight is a must-have.
I believe the K-70 will also produce better high-ISO JPEG images, and the sliver variant isn't as ugly as the K-3 {I am really really tired of the T-90 black stealth look}.
12-06-2016, 03:46 PM   #18
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I believe the K-70 will also produce better high-ISO JPEG images, and the sliver variant isn't as ugly as the K-3 {I am really really tired of the T-90 black stealth look}.
We've discussed this before: it's a pity the market seems to think (or camera makers think that the market thinks) that a serious DSLR has to be a serious colour. Whether that's a deal-breaker depends on the individual. I recently got a white K-S2 because it was a lot cheaper, but I actually really like the look of it. What you have said before is right: people find a camera that is not black less intimidating.

As for the high-ISO jpg performance of the K-70, personally I think the differences are fairly marginal (and for anyone who shoots RAW, pretty much irrelevant). And any gains would be far outweighed by the better AF and metering of the flagship models, IMO.
12-07-2016, 07:15 AM   #19

Original Poster
Ha! I was just thinking last night while looking at my *istD across the room, that it would be nice to get a silver DSLR next time.

I think the white K-S2 was designed for Imperial Storm Troopers, although they all have trouble aiming it at the subject.

09-25-2017, 10:16 PM   #20
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rich_S Quote
I have to credit PaulH with the only suggestion I've actually followed so far. He got me thinking about lenses, and I went ahead and found a nice old-timey manual focus SMC Pentax-A 2.8 135 mm. It's quite a bit faster than the old zooms I've been using. As a card-carrying old fart, I'm comfortable with manual focus and the fixed 135 mm focal length is just about perfect for high school basketball from the second row of the bleachers. It wasn't exactly cheap, but it's a helluva lot cheaper than a modern fast AF zoom.

The 135 mm makes for a nice compact rig on the *istD body. Yesterday was my first outing with it (My daughter's team won 30-20!) and I realized halfway through the game that it was nice NOT to have to worry about fiddling with the zoom. The PK-A lens handles exposure, I take care of the focusing, and zooming is a non-issue. The little bit of extra aperture is a welcome improvement, the since the *istD was maxed out at 1600 ISO. Like the doofus, I got carried away with the "traveling light" theme, just took the camera with me, then realized that I should have brought the bag, because that's where the white balance cards are. Doh! I had to make do with using the white stripe on the uniform for adjusting white balance this time out, next time I'll take the cards to the game. I did minimal post-processing on the two photos below - horizon adjustment, a tiny bit of cropping, and white balance.

I still plan to upgrade to a K-70 when the family budget permits but for now, a small investment in a good lens has made a large improvement in my rusty old DLSR.
Nice shot! Is that your kid?