Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-05-2016, 02:42 AM   #1
Pentaxian

K3 firmware update wishlist

Hi there,

I've not get the funding for the K1 yet so I will stick with my K3, it is well used survived bumps and soaks and still ticking, there is one thing Pentax could do to extend the life time of their 'old cameras' which is firmware update. Mine got the 1.21 which is current, there are improvement but not obvious, I've a wishlist on my mind I guess I am not alone.

1. Enable electronic shutter on LV.

2. User selectable screw drive AF.
- To save those SDM lenses without complicated hacking procedure.
3. Multi format crop mode on LV.

4. USM sharpening option
- USM produces better result than regular sharpening
5. Enable matrix metering with manual lens.
- I don't know why can't

What's your take ?

10-05-2016, 02:57 AM   #2
Pentaxian

1. Might not be supported by the sensor

4. Did you try the Fine and Extra sharpening options?
10-05-2016, 02:58 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Those would be nice features, but I don't think you'll see any more firmware updates for the K-3. It's an outgoing model (with the K-3II not long behind - some time next year), with new stocks apparently quite low now. I don't think there's any incentive for Ricoh to add new features, and every reason for it not to (ie. sales of new models). Lobbying Ricoh to include these features in the K-3II replacement might be a good idea, though
10-05-2016, 04:59 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Matrix metering relies on knowing more than just focal length and aperture.

10-05-2016, 07:02 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
KAF4 compatibility, but Ricoh said no.
10-05-2016, 07:56 AM   #6
Forum Member

It seems electronic shutter in LV should be possible for K-3II. After all, electronic shutter is used when pixel shift is enabled. If K-3 and K-3II share the same sensor, then it should also be possible for K-3.
10-05-2016, 11:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The truth be known, most manufacturers do not want to extend the life of the product that has already been sold. They feel it is detrimental to their business. They want to sell new products, that's how they stay in business. The only way you will get any new features, Is if someone does a software hack, and includes the new features in that hack. the only software updates you will see for the K-3 Is bug fixes. you're better off making a wish list for future products.

10-05-2016, 03:40 PM   #8
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by promacjoe Quote
The truth be known, most manufacturers do not want to extend the life of the product that has already been sold. They feel it is detrimental to their business. They want to sell new products, that's how they stay in business. The only way you will get any new features, Is if someone does a software hack, and includes the new features in that hack. the only software updates you will see for the K-3 Is bug fixes. you're better off making a wish list for future products.
Completely agreed. It makes more business sense to offer a new product a year or two later with the new features than it does to let people buy one item and ride it out for 4 or 5 years with updates. I wouldn't expect them to spend money on a product already sold..

Last edited by mee; 10-05-2016 at 04:49 PM.
10-05-2016, 04:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by promacjoe Quote
Yeah, why would they pay money to people to develop new things for a product that was discontinued a year ago?
10-05-2016, 06:45 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm surprised so many people take this lack of support for granted. Apple refreshes computers frequently yet continues to support computers made back to 2010 (and a few from 2009). In the imaging world, Sony provided updates to the A7 and A7r as recently as the end of July of this year, cameras that came out in the same year as the now abandoned K-3. The Fuji X-Pro1 was released in 2012 and got a firmware update today!

I'm not abandoning Pentax, but I am disappointed by their lack of attention to firmware updates.
10-05-2016, 07:08 PM   #11
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
I'm surprised so many people take this lack of support for granted. Apple refreshes computers frequently yet continues to support computers made back to 2010 (and a few from 2009). In the imaging world, Sony provided updates to the A7 and A7r as recently as the end of July of this year, cameras that came out in the same year as the now abandoned K-3. The Fuji X-Pro1 was released in 2012 and got a firmware update today!

I'm not abandoning Pentax, but I am disappointed by their lack of attention to firmware updates.
That is just how Pentax rolls. They do offer firmware updates, but those generally are for a specific lens or accessory support. Extremely rarely do we see functionality added/updated in a firmware revision. It is just how it has been.

Perhaps, with the K-1, they have decided to do more.. but yeah I wouldn't hold my breath on any functionality updates for the K-3 anymore.
10-05-2016, 07:15 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
That is just how Pentax rolls. They do offer firmware updates, but those generally are for a specific lens or accessory support. Extremely rarely do we see functionality added/updated in a firmware revision. It is just how it has been.

Perhaps, with the K-1, they have decided to do more.. but yeah I wouldn't hold my breath on any functionality updates for the K-3 anymore.
Yeah...

It's caused me to stay away from buying camera bodies. "Is this really worth the money when something even better will come out soon? The money could be spent on lenses, which won't be replaced anytime soon."
10-06-2016, 01:34 AM   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
It's caused me to stay away from buying camera bodies. "Is this really worth the money when something even better will come out soon? The money could be spent on lenses, which won't be replaced anytime soon."
I understand the rationale, but the problem with that is you can forever play the waiting game... plus, brand new models always have teething problems that need to be sorted out. These days, I'd rather buy a well-established or even an outgoing or discontinued model, knowing that (a) all of the early adopter problems have been addressed, and (b) I'm getting the best possible value for money. Peace of mind on both counts has become more important to me than any incremental improvements in performance and features from the latest gear...
10-06-2016, 01:48 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I understand the rationale, but the problem with that is you can forever play the waiting game... plus, brand new models always have teething problems that need to be sorted out. These days, I'd rather buy a well-established or even an outgoing or discontinued model, knowing that (a) all of the early adopter problems have been addressed, and (b) I'm getting the best possible value for money. Peace of mind on both counts has become more important to me than any incremental improvements in performance and features from the latest gear...
It actually prompted me to turn to film. It's not going to get any better than the PZ-1P and keeps me from drooling over new gear so much. Meanwhile, the K-30 is still perfectly capable for when I need to quickly turn around an assignment.