Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2016, 08:32 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Wireless Trigger for sports

Any way I can use my k-3ii and cactus v6 (transceiver and flash combo) to wirelessly trigger my k-5 set in a stationary position behind a basketball backboard? I wanna catch a shot from behind the backboard and will myself be stationed some 30 feet away. I know I can use the v6 but what if I want both cameras to take photos together, simultaneously firing, capturing two sets of images from two different angles, and at acceptable sports shutter speeds... 1/1000 of a second!? Make sense?

Last edited by mattieyp3; 10-05-2016 at 08:52 AM.
10-05-2016, 08:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mattieyp3 Quote
Anyway I can use my k-3ii and cactus v6 (and flash) to wirelessly trigger my k-5 set in a stationary position behind a basketball backboard? I wanna catch a shot from behind the backboard and will myself be stationed some 30 feet away. I know I can use the v6 but what if I want both cameras to take photos together, simultaneously firing, capturing two sets of images from two different angles, and at acceptable sports shutter speeds... 1/1000 of a second!? Make sense?
Maybe, but I think you'd need 4 triggers; 1 on the K-3 hotshoe to fire the flash, 1 on the flash to receive the signal, and one connected to the x-sync port of the K-3 to fire the K-5, and 1 on the K-5 to receive the signal (hooked into the remote port?).
10-05-2016, 11:01 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
one connected to the x-sync port of the K-3 to fire the K-5.
Will the x-sync fire beyond 1/180th?
10-05-2016, 11:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Will the x-sync fire beyond 1/180th?
ah, shoot. No it probably won't. But you could freeze the action with the flash instead.

10-05-2016, 11:36 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
ah, shoot. No it probably won't. But you could freeze the action with the flash instead.
Thanks enoeske!
10-05-2016, 01:01 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is this for a practice? I can't imagine you will be allowed to put flashes behind the basket during a game.
10-06-2016, 12:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Any way I can use my k-3ii and cactus v6 (transceiver and flash combo) to wirelessly trigger my k-5 set in a stationary position behind a basketball backboard? I wanna catch a shot from behind the backboard and will myself be stationed some 30 feet away. I know I can use the v6 but what if I want both cameras to take photos together, simultaneously firing, capturing two sets of images from two different angles, and at acceptable sports shutter speeds... 1/1000 of a second!? Make sense?
Good trying. But you may end up pulling hair rather than taking pictures. The challenge is just insurmountable not to mention that flash does cause huge distraction to the basketball player. It is better off jacking up iso and freezing action IMO

10-06-2016, 02:35 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Is this for a practice? I can't imagine you will be allowed to put flashes behind the basket during a game.
Game, not practice. No flash. I'm using the V6 and flash as transceivers/receivers for the cameras to communicate. I would put a snoot or something like that on the flash bulb to black it out. The challenge is figuring out a way to get the camera to send a signal through the transceiver at a shutter speed faster than 1/180th which is why I asked about the x-sync port.

---------- Post added 10-06-16 at 05:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by danielchtong Quote
Good trying. But you may end up pulling hair rather than taking pictures. The challenge is just insurmountable not to mention that flash does cause huge distraction to the basketball player. It is better off jacking up iso and freezing action IMO
Thanks! But I'm not looking to use flash. Im simply looking to use the V6 transmitter and flash as triggers for my cameras. I want two cameras to take two simultaneous photos of the same moment in time. I would muzzle/snoot the flash to black it out. The challenge is figuring out if my camera will fire the transceiver at a sports acceptable shutter speed... 1/800th or faster.
10-07-2016, 12:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Im simply looking to use the V6 transmitter and flash as triggers for my cameras. I want two cameras to take two simultaneous photos of the same moment in time. I would muzzle/snoot the flash to black it out. The challenge is figuring out if my camera will fire the transceiver at a sports acceptable shutter speed... 1/800th or faster.
As I understand it [Cactus v6 manual, p47], when you use the Cactus v6 as a remote shutter release, there are no shutter speed limitations. Plus if you set all your v6's to the same channel, everything connected to them might shoot simultaneously ...

If that doesn't work, you may also look into using relay mode on the v6 [p-49 of the v6 manual].