Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2016, 11:32 PM   #1

Body for family videos?

Hi

Sold my Km year ago and bought Q-s1. Happy for it but now I am looking for Dslr for photos and family videos.
I could buy K-s1 really sheap - but Looked videos I found they looked really jellous and not very good.
Is there difference on video quality between K-3 and K-s1 or K-s2?

Another option is to bue used Pana G7 or G6, but I have some pentax lenses..... and I dont need 4k

Thanks
Perttu

10-06-2016, 01:44 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe7 Quote
Hi

Sold my Km year ago and bought Q-s1. Happy for it but now I am looking for Dslr for photos and family videos.
I could buy K-s1 really sheap - but Looked videos I found they looked really jellous and not very good.
Is there difference on video quality between K-3 and K-s1 or K-s2?

Another option is to bue used Pana G7 or G6, but I have some pentax lenses..... and I dont need 4k

Thanks
Perttu
All the current Pentax bodies are more or less the same in terms of video features/performance. I'd go for the Panasonic to be honest- other brands just do better in that area at the moment.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-06-2016, 04:40 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-01 does pretty well and it is pretty inexpensive.
10-06-2016, 04:54 AM   #4
Pentaxian

K-01 is no better than any other post K-5 for video. They all use 'jello' making digital SR.
I agree with Adam.

10-06-2016, 05:56 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If it is not for anything too creative, is there any reason not to just get a dedicated video camera? A reasonable quality compact model can be had for much cheaper than a DSLR.
10-06-2016, 11:39 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for comments. I use mostly wide angles - so with dslr it is easy. Also its winter time and I live quite north so it is allways dark. Compact video cameras have small sensors so I tought dslr might be better on low light?

If you turn Sr off would that make video quality better - no jello?
Does anybody use K-s1 for video?
Thanks
Perttu
10-06-2016, 10:48 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Yes, turn off Movie SR and use a tripod or monopod. When I had my K-01 and K-50, I used a Sigma lens which had optical stabilization, it was excellent for hand held video. But they aren't easy to find with a Pentax mount now.
I have since bought an Olympus OMD EM10MkII which has 5-axis IBIS and higher bitrate (cleaner) video.
10-07-2016, 07:14 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My K-70 with continuous AF in video is surprisingly good provided I do the following:

1. Turn off Digital SR in video mode and the wobbly rolling shutter is stopped.
2. Use an external DSLR Stabilizer, picked up a $60 at Best Buy that works great.
3. Quality external microphone.

Looks like a cheesy Hollywood production but my family videos, and other content, looks fantastic for 1080P.

Pentax should allow use of Mechanical SR with a noise disclaimer. Pentax could then sell a branded external microphone for the "pros"