Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2016, 10:56 AM   #31

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My fellow forum members have really made great points. Just like Norm put it, I did not buy the 50-135 for the auto focus performance. That purchase was purely about IQ, fast glass and the way it renders to out of focus areas. However with some practice and learning the lens I lock focus about 75% of the time. Us old folks shot sports with manual focus 35mm film cameras and got keepers. I even shot a volleyball tourney with a Yashica range finder because my dad said he took priority over me using his Spotomatic.

10-10-2016, 01:13 PM   #32

By the way, anyone did a test of Pentax lens lineup in terms of AF speed?
10-12-2016, 07:00 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GraySaint Quote
By the way, anyone did a test of Pentax lens lineup in terms of AF speed?
the last test I saw was Pentax K-3 against D7100, at that time. Pentax focused just as fast as Nikon, in fact a teeny tiny bit better, Nikon tracked better than Pentax, but again, not much. Of course since then the D7200 has come out and Pentax is still using the same system. But these folks who say Pentax AF isn't as good as ___________ fill in the blanks are misguided. Some Nikons, and some Canons are better than all Pentaxes but not all Nikons and all Canons are better than all Pentax's.

This whole "Canon makes faster focussing cameras than Pentax" is extremely misleading. "Some Canon cameras are faster focussing than anything Pentax makes." would be the accurate statement. But the statement should be constructed in such a manner that folks understand, the way to get fast Canon AF is to buy gear that is much more expensive than anything Pentax sells, and at a cost of resolution.

And in fact, I don't really know how the testing methodology would work in this kind of test. I know the forum clams to test such things. maybe one of them should jump in.

Last edited by normhead; 10-12-2016 at 07:11 AM.
10-12-2016, 07:36 AM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
the last test I saw was Pentax K-3 against D7100, at that time. Pentax focused just as fast as Nikon, in fact a teeny tiny bit better, Nikon tracked better than Pentax, but again, not much. Of course since then the D7200 has come out and Pentax is still using the same system. But these folks who say Pentax AF isn't as good as ___________ fill in the blanks are misguided. Some Nikons, and some Canons are better than all Pentaxes but not all Nikons and all Canons are better than all Pentax's.

This whole "Canon makes faster focussing cameras than Pentax" is extremely misleading. "Some Canon cameras are faster focussing than anything Pentax makes." would be the accurate statement. But the statement should be constructed in such a manner that folks understand, the way to get fast Canon AF is to buy gear that is much more expensive than anything Pentax sells, and at a cost of resolution.

And in fact, I don't really know how the testing methodology would work in this kind of test. I know the forum clams to test such things. maybe one of them should jump in.
I did not make myself clear. I meant, a list of Pentax lenses, tay say "AF speed on lens A is better then lens B". All on Pentax. Not to compare systems, but to compare lens.

10-12-2016, 07:42 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Just as a general rule anything SDM is slow. Some screw drive lenses on K-3 or K-1 cameras are pretty fast. The 18-135 and 16-85 are both pretty fast as are the 70-200 and 150-450. Rule of thumb, any DC type motor is fast. Screw drives vary. There are so many screw drives, it's best to ask of a particular lens. For example my F-70-210 is very fast. My SIgma70-300 is ok at best.
10-12-2016, 09:00 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
For example my F-70-210 is very fast. My SIgma70-300 is ok at best.
That's interesting. I find my old F28-80 one of my fastest too... so fast, it feels brutal