Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2008, 08:27 PM   #1

K20D Quirks

Received my K20 a couple days ago! I'm a very happy boy!

I have noticed a couple oddities with it and one in particular I'm am wondering if everyone else can relate.

This is my worry. Well not worry really... observation.
Time between taking the photo and it showing on screen. I hesitate to say the rendering process takes twice as long when up against my K10 but it is definately a longer wait.

I have tested this at reduced resolution in the K20, even down to 2MP, everything else being equal.
I even used a faster card (Sandisk Ducati) in the K20 (2mp, 3 star Jpeg) and the K10 (10mp, 3 star Jpeg) trumps it every time for chimping.

Not a huge deal just wondering if this is the same for everybody else?

___

The ease and range to manipulate Jpegs in camera in really great.

Auto white balance favours warmth.

My Tammy 17-50 doesnt under expose like it does with the K10.

The hot pixel problem almost exclusively rears it head only at iso800 on my body, at least its the worst here. Have not done the firmware update yet.

The little changes to the sd card and battery compartment latches make all the difference.

The focus drive pin is slightly off center on my body, it will ever-so-slightly catch on the rim of the hole when switching from manual focus to auto focus. Not something I am willing to send the body back to get fixed. Or should I? It just clicks when switching focus modes.

Loving the ability to dial in focus for my lenses. One of the main reasons for upgrading.

Wont hesitate to shoot at iso1600 with this camera.
The color of any given shot changes dramatically from iso1600, then shot at iso3200. Havnt really done much testing on this subject though. And then again at iso6400.

Overall I am more than happy.
Few maiden photos to come

Tamron 17-50. Resize 25%

FA50. ISO1600 Resize 25%

FA50. ISO800 Resize 25%

Also this might be of interest to someone.

Burst frame set. Shot from Liveview. Includes 50% Resize.

Last edited by bentax; 07-26-2008 at 09:56 PM.
07-27-2008, 09:09 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bentax Quote

Time between taking the photo and it showing on screen. I hesitate to say the rendering process takes twice as long when up against my K10 but it is definately a longer wait.

I have tested this at reduced resolution in the K20, even down to 2MP, everything else being equal.
I even used a faster card (Sandisk Ducati) in the K20 (2mp, 3 star Jpeg) and the K10 (10mp, 3 star Jpeg) trumps it every time for chimping.

I don't think the K20 processor is faster than the K10. It may well be the same one. The K20 files start out some 50% larger, and the processing times are, in my experience, also about 50% longer. Ramping down the resolution will actually increase processing time slightly, as the 14mp file has to be processed and then downsized in camera, though the write times will then be faster.
07-27-2008, 11:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I don't think the K20 processor is faster than the K10. It may well be the same one.
For what it's worth: the K20D's sensor is certainly NOT the same as the sensor in the K10D. That is in fact the major difference between the two cameras. The K20D has a CMOS sensor, the K10D uses a CCD sensor. I don't really know a lot about the technicalities here but I know that the choice of the CMOS sensor was one of the major changes if not THE major change in the K20D.

Will
07-27-2008, 02:05 PM   #4

Original Poster
Wheatfield is talking about the processing engine ie the mini computer, not the sensor.

Good to know, thanks for the information Wheatfield.

07-27-2008, 02:55 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
For what it's worth: the K20D's sensor is certainly NOT the same as the sensor in the K10D. That is in fact the major difference between the two cameras. The K20D has a CMOS sensor, the K10D uses a CCD sensor. I don't really know a lot about the technicalities here but I know that the choice of the CMOS sensor was one of the major changes if not THE major change in the K20D.

Will
This would be why the K10 is 10mp and the k20 is 14mp? The sensor is different?
I'd of never guessed that one.
07-27-2008, 06:21 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
no difference between K10/20D speed.

Tried this with the K10D vs K20D. Put both on ISO 100, lens on f4, pre autofocused on the couch. Set both cameras to 3 sec mirror lock up/wireless remote with both cameras set to AV mode. Both cameras were set to raw. Hit the wireless remote and watched screen of both cameras. So close can't even tell which was first! Maybe the K10D by a fraction of a second. They are basically the same speed in raw.
Do you have the K20D set for slow shutter speed noise reduction in custom function menu? ON will automatically double exposure time at longer shutter speeds! If set to auto it will if it thinks it needs it. Have mine set to automatic. Didn't shoot in very low light.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #8 in P&S forum. Enter #9. Any type camera except slr. Any brand. Any subject. Last night to enter! Enter now.
07-28-2008, 09:22 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I NEVER use any type of in-camera noise reduction. Third party software does it so much better.

09-16-2008, 04:11 AM   #8

Original Poster
Just checking through my past threads and came across this one.

I sent my K20D back and had it swapped in relation to the af coupler and its wild focusing antics....

but,

once i received the new body i also realized that in relation to the processing speed, the new body is much quicker.

FYI. Just incase someone has the same problem.
09-16-2008, 04:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I assume the sandisk ducati is a fast card so probably not relevant but I can notice the difference in writing speed between the sandisk ultra / sandisk basic? / and the 150X topram card. The 150x topram is much much slower for the camera to write than the other two cards.
09-20-2008, 02:32 AM   #10

Original Poster
...Also i like the focus mode selection switch better on the K10D. Thats pretty much it though.
09-27-2008, 05:51 AM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
For what it's worth: the K20D's sensor is certainly NOT the same as the sensor in the K10D.
The sensor is different, but I think they both use the same PRIME processor.

From the K20D camera brochure: The K20D incorporates the PENTAX-original PRIME (Pentax Real IMage Engine) image processing engine.

From the K10D camera brochure: The K10D incorporates the new PRIME (PENTAX Real IMage Engine) as its imaging engine.