Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2016, 08:54 AM   #91

QuoteOriginally posted by taita87 Quote
It's a tempting choice but... Adapters aren't cheap. You also lose the smaller size of the 21 compared to like a fujinon 23 f2 which is almost the same focal length, water resistant, faster, and a good lens too
No, you're right. I think most of the time, adapting lenses comes at either significant cost or significant compromise. The DA21mm is a fantastic lens, my favourite of the limiteds (despite generally being regarded as the weakest of the bunch) and it pairs great with any of the APS-C K-mount bodies.

What led me to investigate Fuji was that the mirror-shutter mechanism on the K-30 has a hard, clipped character which makes it sound louder than it really is and, after putting a good few rolls through an old Olympus Trip 35, I had decided that there was a real benefit in being able to see outside of the frame for the type of photography I really like (hence X-Pro 1 and the OVF). I could have gone K-5/K-3, but they are both much more camera than I need and I didn't want the extra weight.

When I consider the original launch price of the X-Pro 1 + 23mm f2 Vs K-30 + 21mm limited, there's really no contest. Pentax wins on IQ:cost basis hands down, with virtually no compromises in any of the areas where it counts. I would say the K-30 even feels more robust than the X-Pro 1, despite it not having an all-metal construction.

10-15-2016, 01:00 PM   #92

I have now bought a Fuji X-T1 with the 56mm and 23mm lenses. I have to say the X-T1 is indeed a beautiful camera. Feels very comfortable and the images are of superb quality when used with those lenses. I plan to use my Pentax system for times I know exactly where and what I will be shooting and Fuji for travelling and street photography.
10-15-2016, 05:37 PM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
The FOV of the 21mm on an APSC is very nice, very "normal." It looks like you're standing there looking at the scene yourself.

Agree with this -- I think it's in a sweet area, a little wider than a 35-equivalent but with a perspective not quite as distorted as a 28-equiv would be.

QuoteOriginally posted by Derwin Quote
No, you're right. I think most of the time, adapting lenses comes at either significant cost or significant compromise. The DA21mm is a fantastic lens, my favourite of the limiteds (despite generally being regarded as the weakest of the bunch) and it pairs great with any of the APS-C K-mount bodies.

The longer limited primes generally offer speed & bokeh that is noticeably improved from a zoom, but this is difficult to achieve in a wide angle. The qualities of the DA21 and DA15 are more subtle when compared to wide angle zooms. They're not generally faster, and combining this fact with the wider angle-of-view 'wow' bokeh becomes harder to come by, but they are compact, distort less, offer better flare & c/a performance.