Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2016, 08:10 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Jump to fuji or not?

Hi all. I'm actually the owner of a Pentax k-x, bought in 2010 mainly for his compactness and because I own a M50mm 1.7 of my father (I was starting from scratch with photography).

I didn't have much cash at that time, hence I continued with the M50 and a A28 2.8 bought for a bunch of $$. My last exams, graduation, first job and so on did not give me much time to practice. I am trying to find some spare time to restart the process and I finally have some cash to spend on my own.

After some weeks of work, my k-x e-dial is somewhat laggy and it often acts in contrast to my thumb movement for the few first steps. It's somehow frustrating to use.
I also wanted to buy a new (or 2) objectives cause I always found difficulties on manual focusing at wide apertures. I don't mind about IQ, I just love how some pentax primes render: da21 / fa43 / da55 would probably be on my buying list.
I also prefer to go light geared. I hate to carry around a camera like a k3 with a 17-70, just to mention one.

Then, I got interested in the fuji world. I fell in love with the x-t1 / x-t10. I just love how those manual dials could come in hand in addition to 2 dials (i'm coming just from 1), the compactness of the body (I have small hands), the focus peaking, the way evf works.
I can find a x-t10 with a 35 1.4 used in excellent condition and with warranty at 780$, which is a bargain here in europe...

The only downside to all of this is that fujinon lenses aren't small. At least with pentax I can live with a 21 + 55 (using the small 21 for daily compactness) and I know they're really good lenses with a particular character. I find the fuji 35 to be a bit long in focal, I often want something wider when i shoot with my A28. But if you look at the fuji 23 is heavier and bulkier compared to the already bigger (bigger then DA 21) fuji 35...

Pentax, make a x-t10 camera like I will run to the store to buy camera + 21 + 55 right now
I don't know what to do..

10-10-2016, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First it sounds like you have a limited amount invested in Pentax. Second it appears you want smaller than typical lenses and cameras. Third you like having a lot of controls. Lastly money is not growing on trees.

Fuji and Samsung and Sony all make APSC cameras that are excellent. Being apsc fast lenses are not small. Good Lenses are also not cheap.

I suggest two things, first check out the KS1 as it is quite small. It may give you what you are looking for.

Second have you looked any m43 cameras? I like the GX7, GX85 style bodies. You are giving up some IQ but mainly low light performance. I recently printed 13 x 19 shots and did not see big differences between the 16mp gx7 and the 24mp k-3. Yes there were differences to the trained eye, but nothing anyone commented on.
10-10-2016, 08:33 AM   #3
Pentaxian

That is the dilemma with mirrorless vs. DSLR. Mirrorless bodies are more compact until you put fast lenses or zooms on them. In the DSLR world Pentax offers some of the most if not the most compact bodies in the market. As it turns out they also offer compact fixed focal lenses too. When you get into fast zooms, all bets are off. I do not know anyone who has fast compact zoom lens. The exception being Olympus and Panasonic offerings. There you get compact body and fixed focal lens, even compact zoom combos. The cost is small sensor of Micro 4/3.

I switched from Canon to Pentax four years ago. Pentax system is serving my needs very well. I love my compact FA lenses. I wish they had compact fast zooms. But I know that is not going to happen because of the laws of physics.I like the convenience of zoom lenses and I reluctantly use them when I have to.

If I had to start over again with choosing a system, I would be bewildered with all the choices that are out there.

Good luck with your search. I would be curious as to what you end up choosing.
10-10-2016, 08:43 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Changing systems is expensive. As well as the body, you must consider lenses. I note that the body you are looking at comes with quite a reasonable and flexible option for the price.

Adapters are great for manual focus, manual-aperture lenses where there is little to lose in the way of functionality (especially if the adapter has an aperture controller built in), but if you have an AF lens ecosystem you will lose all that (unless Fuji happens somehow to support K-mount aperture control, then you lose AF only).

The problem with creating an XT-10 camera in K mount is that the flange-to-film-plane distance has to be maintained. And while that is what makes mirrorless cameras excellent for mounting just about any old film-era lens with the right adapter, it's a hassle if you want to retain full K-mount optical functionality. Then you would need a glassless collar that passes all the lens data and screwdrive to maintain that distance, and your DA21 might end up sticking out from the front of the body as much as any Fujinon lens does.

That being said, a 35mm lens on an APS-C camera has an equivalent FOV to a 50mm-ish lens on full-frame, and that f/1.4 would certainly come in handy. That combination you mentioned would be an excellent starting point while you saved up to expand your Fuji lenses to suit your shooting.

Ultimately the decision is yours, but as with all new equipment purchases, be sure to think seriously about what you are gaining by changing systems and what you are losing, and whether it is worth the cost. This is especially the case when switching between different basic types of system (DSLR to mirrorless).

If all I had was manual focus lenses and I was swapping over from film, Fuji APS-C would be a very tempting choice as the ergonomics are very similar to those of a film camera. The only major issues for me would be battery power (electronic viewfinders are a continuous drain in active mode, and street or candid photographers can't afford to lose valuable time spooling up from idle mode) and viewfinder lag. However, I am too deeply invested in Pentax AF lenses to want to go down this road.

My advice would be this: read about the downsides of mirrorless when compared against DSLR. Then go try one out in a store and see if any of the downsides are a deal-breaker for you before you put hard money down. It might be that none of the disadvantages matter to you for what you do, in which case, by all means, go Fuji. If not, then IMO it makes more sense to stick with Pentax than consider a different SLR system and you need to consider your options.

10-10-2016, 08:44 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is a bewildering array of choices. Add bridge cameras and items like the Ricoh GR and you have a tough decision.

I can say the DA21mm is my favorite lens for outings - unless I really want a zoom or weather resistance. It's tiny and fun, and IQ is tough to beat at wide angle. On a KS-1 it might be the Fuji-killer.

People do love those Fujis, though. It all depends on what you're shooting. I'm in the sun doing macro work a lot, so an OVF is a must. If I want pocket-sized I have a Q with -01 lens.
10-10-2016, 08:51 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I'm in the sun doing macro work a lot, so an OVF is a must.
This is what stopped me from even considering the K-01 as an option. I have a cousin who was thinking about getting into photography not long ago and it would be perfect for her size-wise, especially with a DA35/2.4, DA40 or DA50 as a starter prime, but terrible for composition if she was outdoors shooting in the sun (which she almost certainly would be, a lot), and far worse if she wanted to use manual focus lenses.
10-10-2016, 09:01 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Ultimately the decision is yours, but as with all new equipment purchases, be sure to think seriously about what you are gaining by changing systems and what you are losing, and whether it is worth the cost. This is especially the case when switching between different basic types of system (DSLR to mirrorless).
I'm considering myself almost starting from 0. The k-x was an entry level in 2009 when it was released, I never invested in lenses due to lack of $$, I have no lenses to sell... The k-x itself, I don't care if it's 6 years old, but that e-dial problem is really frustrating as you can't change settings without losing time and attention to match your desired value.

10-10-2016, 09:14 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by taita87 Quote
I'm considering myself almost starting from 0. The k-x was an entry level in 2009 when it was released, I never invested in lenses due to lack of $$, I have no lenses to sell... The k-x itself, I don't care if it's 6 years old, but that e-dial problem is really frustrating as you can't change settings without losing time and attention to match your desired value.
In that case you really have nothing at all to lose by changing systems, though you might want to consider a K-to-Fuji adapter so you can hang on to your M and A lenses. I would still look very carefully at the potential disadvantages of mirrorless and see if any of them really matter to you, but if they don't (or if the ergonomic benefits outweigh them in your eyes), then go ahead and best of luck.
10-10-2016, 09:15 AM   #9

Subscribing to this thread as I am in the same boat...
10-10-2016, 09:20 AM - 1 Like   #10

Both system are good, you really can't go wrong with them, I thought about switching to Fuji and actually tried, but I do prefer Pentax. Just want to add a few points here since I've use both fuji(x100 and xpro1) and Pentax.

1. I like the JPEG output of Fuji, it's good but it's not good enough for me to shoot only JPEG, so I still shot RAW and process in post, but the dynamic range from my Fuji RAW files are not as good as Pentax. However, if you shoot JPEG only, then Fuji is your best choice.
2. The x-trans sensor produce very nice color for portrait work, however for landscape I do get some weird effect from Fuji files, maybe I am using the wrong software, but my Pentax files works great in all condition.
2. The dials on Fuji camera are good, but I think Pentax is also pretty good. On top of that, I prefer Pentax glass because the metal construction and the distance scale. However I do wish Pentax makes some fast DA prime in the future.
3. To me, the soul of Fuji system is their hybrid viewfinder, not evf. Focus peaking is not very good on fuji, because I can only do peaking in white color..... if you want to adapt old manual lens on mirrorless camera, go with Sony.
3. Price and build quality, I still think Fuji charges quite a bit for what it is. I picked up a used Xpro1 for 330 USD and I just can't image this thing was selling for 1600 USD 4 years ago...... The XT2 and Xpro1 is selling for 1600USD, and Pentax K1 is selling for 1799.

I did keep X100 for my JPEG only walk around camera.
10-10-2016, 09:37 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Probably the best solution to replace the da 21 as a walk around lens would be the fujinon 18 f2, also cheap, but I don't know if it's as good as the 21 and I don't see the "character" the 21 shows on sample photos (for what they're worth on the internet).

Yes, raw vs jpeg could be a drawback...
Price: I don't think the difference is huge... at least choosing a used x-t10 I found for 400€
10-10-2016, 09:47 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Okay, that's a seriously impressive small package. It sort of makes even my ME look biggish. Granted, the ME is supposed to be the smallest full-frame film SLR ever made, but still...
10-10-2016, 10:09 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Pentax, make a x-t10 camera like I will run to the store to buy camera + 21 + 55 right now
Ricoh imaging will wait until you get a fuji system and release a better one under the Pentax brand , like they did with the full frame. Some guys could not wait more and jumped to Canon a few months because the K1 specs were leaked, now, they get 20 Mpixels instead of 36Mpixels and they promote 600mm lenses because they can't crop 400mm to get enough resolution LoL.
10-10-2016, 10:21 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Ricoh imaging will wait until you get a fuji system and release a better one under the Pentax brand , like they did with the full frame. Some guys could not wait more and jumped to Canon a few months because the K1 specs were leaked, now, they get 20 Mpixels instead of 36Mpixels and they promote 600mm lenses because they can't crop 400mm to get enough resolution LoL.
Lol. Given that, I'll wait
10-10-2016, 10:35 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Lol. Given that, I'll wait
Don't wait , buy a Fuji, they make good cameras, especially the GF.