Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
10-10-2016, 08:12 PM   #31
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Saltwater Images Quote
Travelling light is an obsession for me. A former Infantry officer; I want tough, functional, exceptionally performing Spartan warrior worthy equipment. The Fuji bodies were sleek but I opted for a more rugged K-5II and the HD DA 21/40/70 stack of pancakes, a Joby wrist strap and a Domke F-5XB Rugged-Wear (weather sealed) bag. When it comes to the 3 Pancakes the 21 is the most used, the 40 is the most versatile and the 70 is the most loved (as it delivers pixie dust in portraits).

Fuji is a great system that you will enjoy for years. Pentax Limited glass you'll treasure for a lifetime.
I agree with this 100%. I also was looking at Fuji, mainly due to the OOC Jpegs (I don't have a proper post-processing rig) but in the end, I didn't think any of their lenses were comparable to the Pentax Limiteds, for their size and quality. I opted to spend money on a 20-40mm HD Limited, and will add a 15 and 70 in the future. My K-5II with the 20-40 Ltd is the perfect size for me as an every-day carry. I thought the X-T10 was actually too small. I'm sure I'd get used to it, and their 18-55 is highly-regarded, but the Pentax Limiteds are a notch above.

10-11-2016, 01:06 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Saltwater Images Quote
Hi MJKOSKI here is a balanced lens comparison:

- The M43 14mm f/2.8 is roughly 17.5mm on APS C. Yes it's a little wider than a DA 21.
- The difference in DOF between APS C and M43 is roughly 2/3 of a stop. The DA 21 on APS C has a slight advantage for DOF (M43 would have a comparable DOF of f/3.5).

All in all - I'd say the lens comparison is a wash.
I meant the way how the lens renders the image. And that 14/2.8 is APS-C lens...not micro four turds.
10-11-2016, 04:16 AM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
By that analogy I've still got an ME Super
Better to stay with what you know....me...film body also.... but colour at least.... (actually she's itallian... so sorta has high dynamic range setting as well)
10-11-2016, 04:12 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
Olympus E-M1 MK II is now on firesale

Are you sure about that?

10-11-2016, 06:25 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Are you sure about that?
It was when I wrote it. Some places had it at $699, which is maybe $50 more than used at KEH.
10-11-2016, 08:11 PM   #36
Pentaxian

OK, maybe you should look closely at your post.
10-11-2016, 10:22 PM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

As someone heavily invested in Pentax but who also owns a Fuji X-M1, I can say that if I were coming into photography now I'd almost certainly buy Fuji. The cameras are smaller and lighter than DSLRs, the lenses are more expensive but also faster and compact, and are virtually all reputed to be superb. Image quality is fantastic and the colours are the best I've ever seen from any digital camera.

FYI, with a PKA adapter, even the little DA limited lenses are very useable on Fuji - focus is manual but focus peaking works very well indeed (better than on my K3) and aperture priority auto exposure is available. Being mirrorless, any lens of any mount can be adapted to it (fun if you like playing with old lenses).

If small size and weight are very important to you then go with Fuji.

10-11-2016, 11:47 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by taita87 Quote
Hi all. I'm actually the owner of a Pentax k-x, bought in 2010 mainly for his compactness and because I own a M50mm 1.7 of my father (I was starting from scratch with photography).

I didn't have much cash at that time, hence I continued with the M50 and a A28 2.8 bought for a bunch of $$. My last exams, graduation, first job and so on did not give me much time to practice. I am trying to find some spare time to restart the process and I finally have some cash to spend on my own.
Fuji can be a bit expensive as far as systems go. I have a friend who shoots Fuji and she's always surprised by how little I've spent on my Pentax gear for the value I receive from it. That said, they're gorgeous and functional. If the Medium Format Fuji comes out soon, you may find a glut of used APS-C Fuji gear.

After some weeks of work, my k-x e-dial is somewhat laggy and it often acts in contrast to my thumb movement for the few first steps. It's somehow frustrating to use.
I had this issue too, it was eminently easy to fix. After consulting this forum, I grabbed some 'electric contacts cleaner' from a local auto parts shop. You just spray it into the wheel and spin it for a bit.

I also wanted to buy a new (or 2) objectives cause I always found difficulties on manual focusing at wide apertures. I don't mind about IQ, I just love how some pentax primes render: da21 / fa43 / da55 would probably be on my buying list.
I also prefer to go light geared. I hate to carry around a camera like a k3 with a 17-70, just to mention one.
I've been very satisfied with the Focus Peaking available on newer bodies. You might want to check up on some YouTube videos demonstrating it, as it makes manually focusing at wide apertures trivial and might meet your needs here. The K-70 and K-S2 are both quite light, as are many of Pentax's prime lenses (it's my favourite part of the system).

Then, I got interested in the fuji world. I fell in love with the x-t1 / x-t10. I just love how those manual dials could come in hand in addition to 2 dials (i'm coming just from 1), the compactness of the body (I have small hands), the focus peaking, the way evf works.
I can find a x-t10 with a 35 1.4 used in excellent condition and with warranty at 780$, which is a bargain here in europe...
My friend has an x-pro1 and I love the style and ergonomics. The K-30, K-50, K-S2 and K-70 all have two dials and focus peaking in compact bodies, so give those a look. There are definitely reasons to pick Fuji cameras (like the EVFs) but you've mainly focused on features you can get with a newer body.

The only downside to all of this is that fujinon lenses aren't small. At least with pentax I can live with a 21 + 55 (using the small 21 for daily compactness) and I know they're really good lenses with a particular character. I find the fuji 35 to be a bit long in focal, I often want something wider when i shoot with my A28. But if you look at the fuji 23 is heavier and bulkier compared to the already bigger (bigger then DA 21) fuji 35...
You may also wish to consider that Fuji has no plans to produce cameras with In-Body Image Stabilisation, a feature which helps keep primes small and light.
10-11-2016, 11:58 PM - 1 Like   #39
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Many here run multiple systems, it be the best way to have the right tools to get what you need done.
10-12-2016, 12:07 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Many here run multiple systems, it be the best way to have the right tools to get what you need done.
There's nothing wrong with multiple systems, but if you can stick with one, you'll save yourself a lot of money that can be spent on adventures or gear with more concentrated benefits.
10-12-2016, 12:59 AM - 2 Likes   #41
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
There's nothing wrong with multiple systems, but if you can stick with one, you'll save yourself a lot of money that can be spent on adventures or gear with more concentrated benefits.
I couldn't agree more, but unfortunately for me, I've yet to find one system that can do all I need.

Pentax is certainly for my pleasure, for work it's usually one of the other brands.
10-12-2016, 04:31 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Ricoh imaging will wait until you get a fuji system and release a better one under the Pentax brand , like they did with the full frame. Some guys could not wait more and jumped to Canon a few months because the K1 specs were leaked, now, they get 20 Mpixels instead of 36Mpixels and they promote 600mm lenses because they can't crop 400mm to get enough resolution LoL.
Nice joke, but did ever crossed your mind that some guys didn't wanted/needed a 36mp camera? 36mp and 50mp cameras existed before K1, but photographers still buy 20mp, 22mp, 24mp, 30mp full frame cameras. So...those guys had options long before the arrive of K1 (if the highest number of mp were important to them).

---------- Post added 10-12-16 at 11:31 AM ----------

Hi all. I'm actually the owner of a Pentax k-x, bought in 2010 mainly for his compactness and because I own a M50mm 1.7 of my father (I was starting from scratch with photography).

I didn't have much cash at that time, hence I continued with the M50 and a A28 2.8 bought for a bunch of $$. My last exams, graduation, first job and so on did not give me much time to practice. I am trying to find some spare time to restart the process and I finally have some cash to spend on my own.

After some weeks of work, my k-x e-dial is somewhat laggy and it often acts in contrast to my thumb movement for the few first steps. It's somehow frustrating to use.
I also wanted to buy a new (or 2) objectives cause I always found difficulties on manual focusing at wide apertures. I don't mind about IQ, I just love how some pentax primes render: da21 / fa43 / da55 would probably be on my buying list.
I also prefer to go light geared. I hate to carry around a camera like a k3 with a 17-70, just to mention one.

Then, I got interested in the fuji world. I fell in love with the x-t1 / x-t10. I just love how those manual dials could come in hand in addition to 2 dials (i'm coming just from 1), the compactness of the body (I have small hands), the focus peaking, the way evf works.
I can find a x-t10 with a 35 1.4 used in excellent condition and with warranty at 780$, which is a bargain here in europe...

The only downside to all of this is that fujinon lenses aren't small. At least with pentax I can live with a 21 + 55 (using the small 21 for daily compactness) and I know they're really good lenses with a particular character. I find the fuji 35 to be a bit long in focal, I often want something wider when i shoot with my A28. But if you look at the fuji 23 is heavier and bulkier compared to the already bigger (bigger then DA 21) fuji 35...

Pentax, make a x-t10 camera like I will run to the store to buy camera + 21 + 55 right now
I don't know what to do..

I played with a K-S 2 recently, it's quite good and small enough to be discreet. With a 21mm lens on it it's a very nice combo. It's a little bigger than X-T1, but the grip from K-S 2 it's a lot better.

Fuji it's good, but in general it's more expensive than Pentax (assuming you will want to buy some lenses also in the future). I would not overlook micro 4/3 cameras from Olympus/Panasonic. Their latest generation of cameras are really good.

If you don't print large and you don't need the ISO capabilities of a full frame body, then either Fuji (X-T1, X-T10), Pentax (K-S 2), Olympus (E-M1, PEN-F, E-M10 Mark II, E-M5 Mark II) can be good options. If in the near future you will want to upgrade to a full frame body, then K-S 2 is a good choice because the existance of a full frame body. Fuji just released a medium format camera, so I don't think that a full frame will be released in the near future and who knows what Olympus plans are regarding releasing a full frame camera?!?

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 10-12-2016 at 01:18 PM.
10-12-2016, 06:29 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Nice joke, but did ever crossed your mind that some guys didn't wanted/needed a 36mp camera? 36mp and 50mp cameras existed before K1, but photographers still buy 20mp, 22mp, 24mp, 30mp full frame cameras. So...those guys had options long before the arrive of K1 (if the highest number of mp were important to them).
I could be wrong, but I think the 20mp reference was about comparably priced models.
10-12-2016, 06:45 AM   #44
Veteran Member

if it was day one in my photographic odyssey Fuji is where I would go

I don't much care about specs

I just find Fuji outputs very satisfying images
10-12-2016, 06:49 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote

---------- Post added 10-12-16 at 11:31 AM ----------

I played with a K-S 2 recently, it's quite good and small enough to be discreet. With a 21mm lens on it it's a very nice combo. It's a little bigger than X-T1, but the grip from K-S 2 it's a lot better.

Fuji it's good, but in general it's more expensive than Pentax (assuming you will want to buy some lenses also in the future). I would not overlook micro 4/3 cameras from Olympus/Panasonic. Their latest generation of cameras are really good.

If you don't print large and you don't need the ISO capabilities of a full frame body, then either Fuji (X-T1, X-T10), Pentax (K-S 2), Olympus (E-M1, PEN-F, E-M10 Mark II, E-M5 Mark II) can be good options. If in the near future you will want to upgrade to a full frame body, than K-S 2 is a good choice because the existance of a full frame body. Fuji just released a medium format camera, so I don't think that a full frame will be released in the near future and who knows what Olympus plans are regarding releasing a full frame camera?!?
My guess is that a lot of folks who shoot with lower megapixel full frame cameras do so, either because cost is less (6D, D610) or because they want higher frame rates -- sports camera (D5, 1Dx series). If most folks buying a D610 could afford a D810, they probably would get one as memory and storage are cheap and there really isn't any other down side to high megapixel cameras.

That said, the main benefit if mirrorless in general are the EVF (if you like them) and smaller body size. Fujis are nice and while they don't have a big lens catalog, what they have is high quality. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them, particularly for jpeg only shooters.