Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2016, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I could be wrong, but I think the 20mp reference was about comparably priced models.
I know what Biz-engineer refers to. It was a "debate" in another thread regarding Sigma/Tamron lenses coming to Pentax (particularly the 150-600mm lenses were the subject of that thread)...

---------- Post added 10-12-16 at 02:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
My guess is that a lot of folks who shoot with lower megapixel full frame cameras do so, either because cost is less (6D, D610) or because they want higher frame rates -- sports camera (D5, 1Dx series).
Partially correct. For weddings and stuff like that you don't need 36mp. D750 and 5D Mark III are the most used cameras for weddings these days. There are a few who shoots with D810 and fewer with 5Ds. High resolution cameras needs a little more attention to shooting due to the demanding sensor. And processing huge files for weddings may or may not be important...

If most folks buying a D610 could afford a D810, they probably would get one as memory and storage are cheap and there really isn't any other down side to high megapixel cameras.
I can afford to buy any camera I want, but as an amateur photographer I don't need the best gear, I need the one suited for what I do.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 10-12-2016 at 01:20 PM.
10-12-2016, 08:13 AM - 2 Likes   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
I know what Biz-engineer refers to. It was a "debate" in another thread regarding Sigma/Tamron lenses coming to Pentax (particularly the 150-600mm lenses were the subject from that thread)...

---------- Post added 10-12-16 at 02:15 PM ----------

Partially correct. For weddings and stuff like that you don't need 36mp. D750 and 5D Mark III are the most used cameras for weddings these days. There are a few who shoots with D810 and fewer with 5Ds. High resolution cameras needs a little more attention to shooting due to the demanding sensor. And processing huge files for weddings may or may not be important...

I can afford to buy any camera I want, but as an amateur photographer I don't need the best gear, I need the one suited for what I do.
I guess so. But if you were given the option of a sensor with more dynamic range and resolution for the same price as a lower one, I would think most folks would choose the one with more resolution over the sensor with less.

The K-1 in the US is priced pretty close to the D750 and I would prefer the K-1 to the D750, but I do landscape. For portrait work, it probably doesn't matter.
10-12-2016, 08:58 AM   #48
Veteran Member

I guess so. But if you were given the option of a sensor with more dynamic range and resolution for the same price as a lower one, I would think most folks would choose the one with more resolution over the sensor with less.

The K-1 in the US is priced pretty close to the D750 and I would prefer the K-1 to the D750, but I do landscape. For portrait work, it probably doesn't matter.
Depends... 6.5fps (D750) vs. 4.4 fps (K1) and faster af tracking capabilities can have a serious impact to some.

I had to prepare a portfolio for the exam in order to get the photographic licence in wich I had to include 5 landscape images. I've searched on all my hard drives and I found only 2, despite the fact that I have more than 7.000 images stored. What I'm trying to say is that for me dynamic range is not that important.

But this is a conversation to have over a beer, not here.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 10-12-2016 at 12:50 PM.
10-12-2016, 10:26 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had to prepare a portfolio for the exam in order to get the photographic licence
What does the license allow you to do?

10-12-2016, 10:39 AM   #50
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Fuji can be a bit expensive as far as systems go. I have a friend who shoots Fuji and she's always surprised by how little I've spent on my Pentax gear for the value I receive from it. That said, they're gorgeous and functional. If the Medium Format Fuji comes out soon, you may find a glut of used APS-C Fuji gear.
It's as cheap as a fuji... I can find a used x-t10 with a 35 1.4 (body+lens equal to a k-70 + DA21, a lot slower too) for 700€ still with 18months warranty. A k-70 costs 600€ body only.

I had this issue too, it was eminently easy to fix. After consulting this forum, I grabbed some 'electric contacts cleaner' from a local auto parts shop. You just spray it into the wheel and spin it for a bit.
This could be a nice thing... Tomorrow I'll check if that works. In case it works, I can stay with my k-x and buy a DA 21 for 300€... Stay with my manual 50 till I can find a good 55, for example...
This could be the cheaper solution, still small although k-x body isn't that good.

I've been very satisfied with the Focus Peaking available on newer bodies. You might want to check up on some YouTube videos demonstrating it, as it makes manually focusing at wide apertures trivial and might meet your needs here. The K-70 and K-S2 are both quite light, as are many of Pentax's prime lenses (it's my favourite part of the system).
Do they focus peak through live view? I hate not to use the viewfinder.

My friend has an x-pro1 and I love the style and ergonomics. The K-30, K-50, K-S2 and K-70 all have two dials and focus peaking in compact bodies, so give those a look. There are definitely reasons to pick Fuji cameras (like the EVFs) but you've mainly focused on features you can get with a newer body.
I don't have particular reasons to prefer a EVF instead of a OVF. They have pros and cons, I'll be ok with both. It's a hobby, I don't need 60k megapixels. I just want a compact system, and possibility to buy good lenses with character (like da55, fa43, fuji 35 1.4 etc). I like how fuji x-t10/1 body and commands are designed.
10-12-2016, 10:45 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by taita87 Quote
It's as cheap as a fuji... I can find a used x-t10 with a 35 1.4 (body+lens equal to a k-70 + DA21, a lot slower too) for 700€ still with 18months warranty. A k-70 costs 600€ body only.
I don't think they are comparable. The X-T10 is a 16mp camera without Pixel Shift. If anything a K-50 or K-S2 might be the better comparison. However the X-T10 is a 14 bit raw camera so maybe the K-5iis would be more comparable.
10-12-2016, 11:57 AM   #52
Veteran Member

What does the license allow you to do?
If you want to start a business and work legally as a photographer (in Romania) you need a photographic licence released by National Authority for Qualifications (it's a state agency). In order to get this licence you have to participate at some trainings with an authorised photographer (there are intensive trainings of 2-3 months, or there are extended trainings of 11-12 months - depends on your skills level). At the end of these trainings you have to present a portfolio of images to a commission of photographers and representatives of the National Authority for Qualifications and you also have to take a test (35 or 38 questions regarded to photography). If you pass the test and if you also get a good score for your portfolio, you will get the photographic licence.

10-12-2016, 12:00 PM   #53
Pentaxian

Depends... 6.5fps (D750) vs. 4.4 fps (K1) and faster af tracking capabilities can have a serious impact to some. I had to prepare a portfolio for the exam in order to get the photographic licence in wich I had to include 5 landscape images. I've searched on all my hard drives and I found only 2, despite the fact that I have more than 7.000 images stored. For me dynamic range is not that important. But this is a conversation to have over a beer, not here.
To be honest, I was influenced by your arguments. So , I went to camera shop again, but every other alternative better than my K1 combo in Nikon or Canon is significantly more expensive. The only direction I could get cheaper Canikon gear would mean lower specifications. So, I'm still content with the Pentax K1 solution that is right at the door of the pro and very expensive gear: the next jump into better Canikon lens/camera specifications is > $10K.

Short version: for the same price as my K1 combo, I can'T find any other better system whatever the brand.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 10-12-2016 at 12:30 PM.
10-12-2016, 12:10 PM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Short version: for the same price as my K1 combo, I can find any other better system whatever the brand.
Can't? (Typo?)

BTW - I would have PM'd you but you have that turned off.
10-12-2016, 12:30 PM   #55
Pentaxian

Can't? (Typo?)
Can't , yeah, :-) :-).
10-12-2016, 12:37 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
To be honest, I was influenced by your arguments. So , I went to camera shop again, but every other alternative better than my K1 combo in Nikon or Canon is significantly more expensive. The only direction I'd need to go to get cheaper Canikon gear would mean lower specifications. So, I'm still content with the Pentax K1.
If I had a K1 I'm pretty sure I'll be content of it, as I was with all my Pentax cameras (K-5 II and K-3 II). If I lived in USA, the situation probably would have been different. But in Romania Pentax is almost invisible and not having (at that time) access to:
- triggers (I'm not buying stuff from Ebay or Amazon, etc. ; I want to be able to test something before I buy it)
- lenses to test or to rent
- service
- discounts
- etc.

makes you jump in other boats. I chose 6D over more expensive bodies because for what I do has everything I need. If I were a landscape photographer (as Rondec), I would stayed with Pentax and I would have bought a K1 for dynamic range, astrotracer, build quality, pixel shift and ISO capabilities compared to K3 II. So, there is no reason not to like K1 because is an amazing camera. I played with it, I loved it and I hope to play a little more with it at the annual Pentax meeting which is scheduled in a week.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 10-12-2016 at 01:38 PM.
10-12-2016, 01:39 PM   #57
Pentaxian

- discounts
Hmm...
10-12-2016, 02:28 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Hmm...
You just have to look at the official Pentax store page to realise that it has no offer/discounts since they launched the new website (I think this was half a year ago). Not a single new article on the News page either... They builded a new website and let it to die the second day after the launch.

I told you this is going to happen, but you didn't agree with me. Well, their website looks identical as it looked 6 months ago. I wonder if they remember the password to acces their website.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 10-12-2016 at 02:39 PM.
10-12-2016, 03:06 PM   #59
Pentaxian

Indeed, they didn't do much to the site but hmm...
10-12-2016, 07:14 PM   #60
Pentaxian

Considering the price to get into a fairly recent Fuji,perhaps a used(older) body maybe a more of an economical path?

The X-E1 is a highly rated one(price wise espescially) that would be a good introduction to the system.

A speedbooster/focal reducer makes the M50mm into a 35mm with a stop more speed(f1.2?)

This direction leaves a fair amount of the budget for some AF lenses and eventually the body becomes a backup.