Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-10-2016, 02:24 PM   #1

BH not offerening extended warranty anymore?

i noticed that BH photo does not offer the additional 2 year warranty anymore.

does anyone know why they stopped selling this?

if someone is buying a pentax dslr i would suspect they would buy elsewhere from another company that still does offer the extended warranty.

---------- Post added 10-10-16 at 05:34 PM ----------

just noticed on another thread BH still selling the extended warranty but now for $50!

but then i noticed adorama is still selling the $20 warranty?

kind of confusing.

10-10-2016, 02:36 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Ricoh appears to be changing the Terms even though the website still says purchased within 2 months.

My extended warranty card specifically states that it must be purchased at the time with the camera.

I had received mine from Amazon so I expect that I have eaten it, at least it was cheap.

I expect B&H and Adorama might be running into the same inconsistencies.
10-10-2016, 02:44 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lgbalfa Quote
i noticed that BH photo does not offer the additional 2 year warranty anymore.

does anyone know why they stopped selling this?

if someone is buying a pentax dslr i would suspect they would buy elsewhere from another company that still does offer the extended warranty.

---------- Post added 10-10-16 at 05:34 PM ----------

just noticed on another thread BH still selling the extended warranty but now for $50!

but then i noticed adorama is still selling the $20 warranty?

kind of confusing.
pentax extended warranty | B&H Photo Video
10-10-2016, 02:46 PM   #4

Original Poster
$110 for the extended warranty compared to the previous $20 might prevent a lot of buyers to purchase it i would imagine.

10-10-2016, 03:13 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
$110 for the extended warranty compared to the previous $20 might prevent a lot of buyers to purchase it i would imagine.
It's now $50 for consumer ILCs (K-50, K-S1, K-S2, K-70, Q-S1):
Pentax Extended Warranty ENTWARRANTY-ENTRYMIDILC B&H Photo Video

$110 for flagship DSLRs (K-3, K-3 II, K-1):
Pentax Extended Warranty for Advanced ADVWARRANTY-ADVILC B&H

And $30 for compacts (Theta, WG-M2):
Pentax Extended Warranty for all Ricoh and PANWARRANTY-PANDS B&H

Let's be honest, $20 was too good to be true. Likely below cost for the repair shop...

The current warranties are still a good value, though third-party options such square trade w/ accidental protection may be more attractive depending on your situation.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-10-2016, 03:17 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
After you just spent $2000US on a K-1?
10-10-2016, 03:17 PM   #7

Original Poster
thank you for the follow-up and links.

10-10-2016, 03:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Let's be honest, $20 was too good to be true. Likely below cost for the repair shop...

The current warranties are still a good value, though third-party options such square trade w/ accidental protection may be more attractive depending on your situation.
I'm not sure that I agree with this assessment. I don't know Ricoh's standard failure rates, but if it's even 10% for a $200 repair, they break even. I highly doubt that they were doing worse than breaking even. Since the de facto warranty is only one year, a two-year extension for a little added gravy seemed like a good compromise. Asking the consumer to fork over $50-100 for a warranty that likely should have been included with the original product seems a bit greedy.
10-10-2016, 04:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I have a rider on my homeowners insurance that covers damage, theft or failure of all my photography equipment.
It is cheaper and covers more contingencies.
I pay $115.00 per year. It covers everything, everywhere. Bags, stands, lights, cameras, lenses at home, on site at a shoot.
You all might want to look into it.

Last edited by sarge; 10-10-2016 at 04:33 PM.
10-10-2016, 05:44 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

In case anyone needs to know, a buyer does not need to purchase a Pentax extended warranty from the same seller as they bought a Pentax DSLR from. You can buy the warranty from another seller within the time period requirement, hold on to the receipt, and you are set.
10-10-2016, 06:26 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ofer4 Quote
I'm not sure that I agree with this assessment. I don't know Ricoh's standard failure rates, but if it's even 10% for a $200 repair, they break even. I highly doubt that they were doing worse than breaking even. Since the de facto warranty is only one year, a two-year extension for a little added gravy seemed like a good compromise. Asking the consumer to fork over $50-100 for a warranty that likely should have been included with the original product seems a bit greedy.
Since the extended warranty is optional Ricoh can't spread their actual second and third year warranty costs over every unit sold. At their low volume their per unit cost is higher than CaNikon to begin with!

The 96% of Pentax purchasers who never experience a warranty claim get the benefit of a lower price. The risk-averse among us get the benefit of a 2-year warranty Rider for $55 a year (on flagships).

IMHO the ability to choose the length and cost of my warranty is a positive reason to own a Pentax.
10-10-2016, 07:00 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No more extended warranties for lenses it seems, either.
10-10-2016, 09:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sarge Quote
I have a rider on my homeowners insurance that covers damage, theft or failure of all my photography equipment.
It is cheaper and covers more contingencies.
I pay $115.00 per year. It covers everything, everywhere. Bags, stands, lights, cameras, lenses at home, on site at a shoot.
You all might want to look into it.
This is interesting. Which company is it? I am assuming that you had to specifically ask about the photo equipment?
10-10-2016, 09:43 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I purchased mine from adorable. I had a thread about it here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/329320-pentax-ex...-warranty.html
10-11-2016, 12:13 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
This is interesting. Which company is it? I am assuming that you had to specifically ask about the photo equipment?
The company is Travelers.
Yes you do have to specify you want this. Most companies require a list of equipment with replacement costs and serial numbers where appropriate.