Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2016, 06:03 PM   #1

Folder naming

The system in Pentax SLRs that I have create folders beginning with 100, 200 etc. I also have the date added to the folder. But when copying them to my computer and backing them up, they do not always sort chronologically. Has anyone found a method that overcomes this?

Maybe I am too old school, but I do not like the software to think for me in the way files are organized. I create the folders I want, but would still like the folders in the camera to be dated according to shooting date.

Any suggestions?

10-10-2016, 06:12 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check the way your OS is sorting folders. Try sorting by creation date if filename ordering isn't giving you the expected results.

You can of course instruct your camera to instead save to custom folders suffixed by numbers. The option for this is found in the setup (wrench icon) menu.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-10-2016, 06:13 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I share your pain!!!

Sorting folders chronologically using the operating system has the quirk (some consider it a feature) of using the date that the folder was last changed which can readily happen during various image sorting, editing, and weeding activities.

When I copy a set of folders over from the camera's card, I replace those first 3 digits with the 4 digit year and also add a few descriptive words to the end of the folder name (e.g., a place name, event, or subject matter). That way, sort-by-name keeps them sorted by date and I can see at a glance what's in the folder.

Last edited by photoptimist; 10-10-2016 at 06:15 PM. Reason: typo
10-10-2016, 07:16 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Rename the folders with the date in the folder name!
Some examples:
Year, month, day: 2016-10-11
Year, month subject: 2016-10 Kittens
Or Year, subject: 2016 Kittens

I use the last system, and the folder "2016 Kittens" would be inside a folder 2016 Photos, which is inside my Photos folder.

10-10-2016, 08:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I copy directories from each of my cameras to my pc with a hierarchy like this

IMAGES
CAMERA_NAME
YEAR
DATE
IMAGE_NAME

after the directories are pasted I strip the prefix from the folder name and am left with the four digit date...001_0101 becomes 0101
using a padded four digit folder name allows for easier sorting

post processed images are stored in separate folder XTRAS_yyyy
usually less than 1k the images can be sorted or searched via file name or exif data

I try to backup every day

if I miss a few I use bulk rename utility (freeware) to rename the folders

the IMAGES folder is backed up to at least two drives (one mounted and another stored in a safe) and in the cloud as well
10-10-2016, 09:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm sorting by year, month and day
..2016_01
...20160123.wedding_karl
....done // processed pictures
....PK1_number.dng //raw pictures PK1=Pentax K1
....PK1_number.xmp // Development seetings
..2016_02
10-10-2016, 09:31 PM   #7
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
I rename the files (to start with YYYY-MM-DD) rather than the folder after copying to the computer. I include a letter code for the camera body and another for the lens, and add the location. Sounds complicated, but it's really simple using a renaming utility with scripts for the file names. The script takes the date from the EXIF; I have a different script for each body/lens combinations, and just add the location. The utility that I use is Rename Master.

Then I move the files into folders that I have by month and subject and format (e.g. 2016-10 DNG birds). I cull as I go, and use lossless rotation for jpgs. I tend to process the RAW images in batches by folder (e.g. I'll do all the bird photos from October 2016 in one batch).

You could use a rename utility to change the folder names to YYYY-MM-DD (or whatever) so they sort alphabetically, but automating the insertion of the date to the date the photos were taken rather than the date the folder was created on your computer might be tricky.

Last edited by Des; 10-10-2016 at 09:36 PM.
10-10-2016, 09:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Some examples:
Year, month, day: 2016-10-11
I second this approach. yyyy-mm-dd sorting works with any two-bit half-broken implementation of a sorting algorithm and is even a standard: ISO 8601 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sadly, this is not the default out of the camera but if you copy your pictures frequently changing them isn't too hard.

If you have a huge number of folders named in different ways you could use a bulk renaming utility (search around for your OS) or the command line. For example, for the Pentax scheme of 102_0315, in Ubuntu you could use

Code:
rename 's/..._(..)(..)/2016-$1-$2/'
to put the folders in the form 2016-03-15 - you'd still have to do this for each year though.
10-11-2016, 12:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I name my folders on the computer by date yyyy-mm-dd and the filenames from the camera indicate which body captured the image. My Lightroom folder are organized in a hierarchy with a top folder for each year, i.e. "2016," each containing folders for each month, i.e. "01" "02" "03" etc. Into each monthly folder I copy the day's image folder from the camera then rename it in the format yyyy-mm-dd. Then when I start lightroom I just synchronize the parent folder and any new images are imported. It keeps things organized by date and it avoids fiddling with the lightroom import dialog.
10-11-2016, 07:48 AM   #10

Original Poster
I appreciate the tips. I started out deleting the first 3 digits and leaving the dated folders, but was hoping for a workaround in the camera. I can change the sorting order in the computer, but the folders themselves do not retain the creation date when copied for some reason. The date they were copied becomes the sorting order.

Since I do not fill up the memory card for several days, I like to leave the original images on the card as a backup. Then when I copy the new ones later it takes more time to make sure I copied the right ones over. I guess if I renamed the folders on the card before copying them it would help.

I could find no way to change the system in the camera of the first 3 digits 100, 101, etc, only the last ones of that dating system which I like. There is my problem. Sometimes later folders will start with a lower number I guess when I switch cards? The K-1 might be doing something different than the K-20.
10-11-2016, 08:45 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
I share your pain!!!

Sorting folders chronologically using the operating system has the quirk (some consider it a feature) of using the date that the folder was last changed which can readily happen during various image sorting, editing, and weeding activities.

When I copy a set of folders over from the camera's card, I replace those first 3 digits with the 4 digit year and also add a few descriptive words to the end of the folder name (e.g., a place name, event, or subject matter). That way, sort-by-name keeps them sorted by date and I can see at a glance what's in the folder.

This is what I do as well.
10-11-2016, 03:42 PM - 1 Like   #12
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DSLRnovice Quote
I could find no way to change the system in the camera of the first 3 digits 100, 101, etc, only the last ones of that dating system which I like. There is my problem. Sometimes later folders will start with a lower number I guess when I switch cards? The K-1 might be doing something different than the K-20.
Yes it's a pity there is no option in the camera to set yyyy-mm-dd as the folder naming system. We are all doing roughly similar workarounds on our computers.
10-11-2016, 09:24 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Yes it's a pity there is no option in the camera to set yyyy-mm-dd as the folder naming system. We are all doing roughly similar workarounds on our computers.
The reason for the restriction is DCIM and the JEITA specification (CP-3461) Design rule for Camera File system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
10-11-2016, 09:37 PM - 1 Like   #14

File and folder names are compliant with Design rule for Camera File system (DCF) is a JEITA specification (number CP-3461).

Folder names have start with a unique directory number 100-999 followed by five alphanumeric characters.

On my K10D folders with date option set start 100 and are in the format nnn_MMDD, e.g. 100_0621. The three digit prefix number sequentially by one for every unique date. Thus 100_0621 is followed by 101_0622, 102_0630 and so one.

If the card is blank the prefix starts over at 100. What I do is leave the last folder on my card with at least one image in it so the prefix is always sequential. You can always rename to folder after copying it to a hard drive to YYYY_MMDD.

I'm not sure what two cards system do if there is a 701_MMDD folder on card one and card two is empty does it create a100_MMDD or a 701_MMDD or a 702_MMDD folder?
10-12-2016, 03:13 AM   #15
Veteran Member

There are two separate sort options in Windows...Date Modified and Date Created. The Date Modified should change on copying, but not Date Created.
However, if you import direct from the card from within an application, the application itself may instead create a new folder and copy the image files, rather than copying the folder.
Personally I use LR import to create a date-based folder system, and use its browser, so I never actually look at the Windows folder structure.