Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
10-11-2016, 08:09 AM   #16
Forum Member

I had a K-5IIs and a K-S2. Sold both and now using a K-3II because I want Pixel Shift capability. K-3II is fantastic but low angle is not its strength. K-S2 is great for low angle or odd angle. I just might pick up a K-70 for the articulating screen. Even though K-S2 (& K-70) is not top line model, I have no issue with using or handling and IQ is great. I don't need the top LCD screen. The main issue is shutter noise. Pentax top line models are extremely quiet.

10-11-2016, 08:12 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
The k3ii has better build and performance, but it is also more expensive. When I bought it, I was deciding between it, the ks2, and an olympus m43. Of these, it felt the best built by far. I like the top lcd, 8fps and large buffer. However, except for gps/astrotracer and maybe dual card slots, all improvements may not be that relevant to landscape photographers, and I'm reading that that's your main interest. Don't know what to say about durability, just because the k3ii feels like, as one review put it, "it has no empty spaces inside" doesn't mean it will survive falls better.
I agree - while it feels quite tough, if you drop it from some height, something will probably give.
10-11-2016, 08:23 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K3ii has no onboard flash. K70 has one and the flash works for master/controller wireless flash.

K3ii has gps built in. K70 does not.

K3ii has dual SD card slots. K70 does not.

K3ii has a grip option, a top lcd, etc.

K70 has flippy screen.

Honestly this is a tough choice.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 10-11-2016 at 10:41 AM.
10-11-2016, 09:13 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Yea, its different features and comes down to your own priorities. The K-70 is still so new that nobody has real experience with it yet. The K-3/K-3II is known to be quite reliable and is popular on these forums

Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax K-5 IIs - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

If you cannot decide based on features (flip screen, astrotracer, burst speed, bracketing options, composition adjustment, weight, KAF4, different battery), then get the cheaper one. Might even get the classic K-3.

But to me, the K-70 looks really promising. I never need burst speed high, and don't really use astrotracer GPS. Flip screen might help me sometimes.

10-11-2016, 10:09 AM   #20
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote

K3ii has dual sad card slots. K70 does not.

I find it sad that they changed the normally-happy card slots on the K-3 to the sad slots on the K-3II..... totally bummed me out.....
10-11-2016, 10:40 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I find it sad that they changed the normally-happy card slots on the K-3 to the sad slots on the K-3II..... totally bummed me out.....
Lol. Whoops!!! Typing on a phone. Fixed.
10-11-2016, 10:58 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K3ii has no onboard flash. K70 has one and the flash works for master/controller wireless flash.

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure it just acts as a dumb flash to trigger the external flash via light sensing.

10-11-2016, 11:03 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
Are you sure? I'm pretty sure it just acts as a dumb flash to trigger the external flash via light sensing.
All native Pentax wireless flash control is via light not radio. The KS2 and KS1 do not have the controller/master function. The K3 and k50 do. I don't have a k70 to test but it was reported to have this feature.

However. Many have said this isn't true apparently. Can someone with the k70 confirm this?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/326690-why-pentax-dropping-wireless-flash-mode.html
10-11-2016, 11:03 AM   #24
Pentaxian

K3ii has gps built in. K70 does not.

K3ii has dual SD card slots. K70 does not.

K3ii has a grip option, a top lcd, etc.

K70 has flippy screen.

Honestly this is a tough choice.
My next camera will undoubtedly be a K-70 ... but I'm an easy task-master - the current shutter count on the K-30 I got 17 months ago is just 1090 - those of you who work your cameras harder should be asking durability questions, and unfortunately we don't have enough evidence to answer those questions yet.
10-11-2016, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-3 (if you can find one new) or a K-3II. The metal body is more rugged and the shutter life is much longer. If you had a K-10D for such a long time then the body & shutter durability of a K-3 or K-3II is a solid investment.
10-11-2016, 02:30 PM   #26

Location: Milky Way Galaxy, Planet Earth, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster
I chose the K3ii ...considered the K-70...yet since the K-3ii uses the same bat's as my K-5ii..(and also dabble in Astro)...went that way...(haven't picked it up yet...will retreive this weekend) and begin the learning process...might not be all that "steep" since I have been using the K5ii..

Looking forward to trying out the Astrotracer function to see how it preforms...
10-11-2016, 02:44 PM   #27

all mentioned is bells and whistles. more important, that k-3ii has newer and better AF module, then k-70, which has same as k-s2.
althrough, k-3ii is more expensive.
10-11-2016, 03:22 PM   #28

I guess it might be interesting to check out the in-depth review of the K-70. It should be going live on the website this week. Most likely (or should i say hopefully) it will contain some comparisons with comparable models, like the K-3II.
10-11-2016, 03:55 PM   #29
Pentaxian

I'm also thinking of picking up a K-70 even though I have a K-3. Flip screen plus pixelshift and a bit lighter and smaller, at an affordable price... (Of course, the K-3ii also has pixelshift.) Unmentioned so far is the fact that the K-70 has a bulb timer, which is a new feature and should be very handy for long exposures. Adam has also stated elsewhere that high-iso noise reduction is significantly improved, but that might be just for JPGs - we'll know more once the PF review goes live, I guess.

But I agree that the shutter durability as well as quieter sound is a big plus of the K-3 series. It may be an odd thing to say, but I find the shutter sound on my K-3 extremely satisfying. I wish I had access to a K-70 locally to check out the shutter sound before taking any decision. FWIW, the K-70 is also lacking composition adjustment.
10-11-2016, 05:48 PM   #30
Pentaxian

I had a K10D which I passed down to my son and it is still going strong. I replaced it with a K-5 and a K-3. Everything I liked about the K10D is even much better with the newer flagship bodies, especially the K-3. I cannot comment on the K70 but if you are used to a flagship body like the K10 D you will likely prefer the current flagship K-3 or K-3ii. The flip screen and other features of the K70 are less important to me than the better build quality and better and quieter shutter.
Good Luck, I am sure you will be happy with what ever you decide on.