Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
10-11-2016, 06:06 PM   #31
KDD
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Or waiting next new high-end aps-c camera K-4???

10-11-2016, 06:24 PM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-3II, built better, no aperture motor problems, built in GPS with astrotracer, more stable and silent shutter. All of those will be useful to you.

---------- Post added 10-11-16 at 06:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by KDD Quote
If I was to wait, I would wait for the rumored mirrorless - even if just for a fast and accurate single-point CDAF.
10-11-2016, 06:30 PM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KDD Quote
By which time there will be another new model just around the corner. Although the next flagship will probably make the K-3II cheaper, there is no real benefit to waiting around for rumours to come true...
10-11-2016, 06:37 PM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
By which time there will be another new model just around the corner. Although the next flagship will probably make the K-3II cheaper, there is no real benefit to waiting around for rumours to come true...
In other words, don't just stand there, buy something.

10-11-2016, 07:18 PM - 1 Like   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My paper purchase between the two would be the k3ii (I've never held either). Flippy screen would be nice for odd angles, but otherwise I don't see much advantage in the k-70. Okay, price I suppose, but given you were still using a k10d, I expect you're willing to commit to a body for a long term so a few extra hundred bucks spread out over several years is less shocking.

For that matter, if you can afford a k-1 today, consider how long you might use and enjoy it. The cost per year over its expected life starts to make it silly not to purchase one.

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Especially if the OP's busted k10d is his only camera, waiting makes little sense.
10-12-2016, 05:33 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
For that matter, if you can afford a k-1 today, consider how long you might use and enjoy it. The cost per year over its expected life starts to make it silly not to purchase one.
A valid consideration if you have the budget. The body isn't going to be replaced in two years, so get what you think will suit you the best (and make you happiest).
10-12-2016, 06:19 AM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
True, the increased price might be less of an issue if you look at how much longer it might last thanks to the supposedly higher build quality.

But I always tend to be scared off by the K-1's weight and size.

It's not exactly the most travel-friendly package if you consider the lenses too. The K-1 body isn't that much heavier than a K-70 or K-3II, but when you attach some of the recent native lenses to it....then the weight and size quickly grow on you Besides, any native fast lens for the K-1 is significantly more expensive than the fast lens options we have for the APS-C Pentax cameras.

Or am I exaggerating the K-1's size and weight?

10-12-2016, 06:45 AM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Adam has also stated elsewhere that high-iso noise reduction is significantly improved, but that might be just for JPGs - we'll know more once the PF review goes live, I guess.

But I agree that the shutter durability as well as quieter sound is a big plus of the K-3 series. It may be an odd thing to say, but I find the shutter sound on my K-3 extremely satisfying. I wish I had access to a K-70 locally to check out the shutter sound before taking any decision. FWIW, the K-70 is also lacking composition adjustment.
I have a K-70 which is an upgrade from a prior K-50. The high ISO noise reduction is available in RAW as that is how I shoot. I then use Lightroom for post production JPEG rendering.
I don't have external flash equipment so I cannot test if wireless flash control present. K-50 came with a real thick guide, K-70 comes with thin starter guide and the full guide is a PDF on the website.

Camera is easy enough with past Pentax experience, but the full guide would have been nice.

A drop on the back was survived by the screen turned into the camera when not in use. Not a long drop so cannot speak to durability but it's a champ so far. Good tthing it had ano old 50mm lens or it would have fallen on the front from lens weight. My new 55-300mm PLM feels fragile.
10-12-2016, 07:43 AM - 3 Likes   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Decision made - K 3 II it is!
Thanks for all of your input! I appreciate your taking the time to comment!
10-12-2016, 08:13 AM   #40
Pentaxian

You can't go wrong with a K-3II.
10-12-2016, 08:52 AM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You can't go wrong with a K-3II.
Agree!
10-12-2016, 10:11 AM   #42
Pentaxian

I 3rd the agreement. The K-3II will give you years of excellent IQ & durability. You'll be able to skip the next-gen APS-C flagship & get the one after that when it's being blown out due to the following APS-C flagship coming in.
10-12-2016, 10:22 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The one gotcha is that it doesn't have an onboard flash, but the K-70 appears to have a crippled onboard flash itself - although sources vary on this. I wish someone could confirm this.

Grap a small flash and be happy - the older AF201 with auto (thyristor) modes and no bounce is small and light but there are probably dozens of similar options.