Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2016, 06:01 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K70 or K3ii, please help

My beloved K10d finally died and I need to get another Pentax. I'd love some thoughts from y'all. I think I've narrowed it down to K70 or K3ii (the K1 is so tempting but I really don't need a full frame). I'm not a professional, but I shoot daily, and I've sold some of my photos. Really want to be able to capture the night sky. I've fallen with my old camera a few times (out in the desert) so I need something rugged.

10-11-2016, 06:12 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

I can't speak for the K70, but I have the original K3 and it is a pretty dependable tank.
10-11-2016, 06:12 AM - 1 Like   #3
amateur dirt farmer...
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3II - if it's anywhere near as rugged as my K-3 (and why wouldn't it be?), it would be my choice...
10-11-2016, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I was buying now, I would still buy the K-3II.

10-11-2016, 06:18 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you need an onboard flash? Would you benefit from built-in GPS? That's the decision between K3 and K3II. If you're happy with the K10 I'd go for the flagship again. Build quality is great and you get the top LCD. I don't know about you but I use that all the time in the field, it's easier to see in bright sun than looking through the viewfinder to check your settings.
10-11-2016, 06:21 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

I'd say K-3ii as well.
Although, the K-70 has a flippy screen.... so it's not like it doesn't have anything to offer, and I have to admit the flippy screen on my K-1 is even more useful than I anticipated, and i've been drooling over them for years.

Taken at ground level with Live View. Without a flippy screen this is a real pain.

But maybe you don't do this.
10-11-2016, 06:47 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I'd go straight for the K-3II if I had to get a camera today.

However, I'd hold off for a few more months with a used K10D from eBay to see what Pentax does with the next-gen flagship instead.
10-11-2016, 06:48 AM - 2 Likes   #8
a5m
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'd second (or third?) the K-3 II. I first bought a K-S2 (which is very similar to the K-70) mainly because of the flip screen and because I didn't think I'd care for the stronger, more durable build and more buttons and features of the flagship models like the K-5/II/s or K-3/II.

I couldn't have been more wrong. I got a used K-5 IIs off the forums here and immediately knew why people liked it so much, and why the flagship models are generally preferred. After shooting only with the K-5 IIs for a few weeks, I picked up the K-S2, and the best way to describe how it felt was 'lacking'. I'm nowhere near pro level and just an amateur. It became obvious to me why the K-S2 is not a flagship model.

So my point is although the K-70 has the same sensor and a lot of the same features as the K-3/II, the features it doesn't have like the extra buttons, the top LCD and just the more professional feel of the camera make a big difference. I had to really think about when I was really going to make use of the flip screen on the K-S2 and realized that I would need it only once in a blue moon, and if I didn't have it the shot I would miss wouldn't be that important anyway.

The best option I think would be to have both, a K-S2 or K-70 and K-3/II. But if I had to choose one, for my type of shooting, it'd be the K-3 II every time.

10-11-2016, 06:50 AM   #9
amateur dirt farmer...
Loyal Site Supporter

^^^this^^^

I use my K-3 daily and my K-50 a couple of times every week and the 'feel' is completely different between the two....
10-11-2016, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #10
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

If you want a good rugged build like you are used to then K3ii. Astrotracer might even be your friend out there in the desert.
10-11-2016, 07:10 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Build quality of the K-3 II is better than that of the K-70. More rugged. If you are used to the K10D it will seem small. The K-70 even smaller (This has a flippy screen but lacks the top-lcd display). Also if you want to astro trace (prevent star trails) the K3-II can do it out of the box, the K-70 needs the gps adapter. In your case I would recommend the k-3 II
10-11-2016, 07:27 AM   #12
Pentaxian

K-3 II for build and performance. I have one. As has been said, it has a top lcd screen and GPS which are handy to have.
10-11-2016, 07:54 AM   #13

At least on paper, it's the K-70 for me. Can't speak out of experience, but probably getting the K-70 soon.

The K-70 is quite a bit cheaper (if you dont get the seperate GPS unit that is), roughly same IQ, native Wifi support, fully articulated screen, apparently even better high ISO performance, still a very durable rugged build. The astro tracer can be bought seperately so you can still get the astro tracing.

But the K-3II has an even better build, has slightly better AF, has the GPS astro tracer out of the box, better battery life, Wifi can still be added though the FluCard, and it will probably feel more as a true flagship model.

Basically the flippy K-70 screen was already enough for me to 'dismiss' the K-3II. Especially for night sky photography it will come handy, not to mention the fact that the screen can go in the red coloured night mode.
10-11-2016, 07:56 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The k3ii has better build and performance, but it is also more expensive. When I bought it, I was deciding between it, the ks2, and an olympus m43. Of these, it felt the best built by far. I like the top lcd, 8fps and large buffer. However, except for gps/astrotracer and maybe dual card slots, all improvements may not be that relevant to landscape photographers, and I'm reading that that's your main interest. Don't know what to say about durability, just because the k3ii feels like, as one review put it, "it has no empty spaces inside" doesn't mean it will survive falls better.
10-11-2016, 08:09 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can only answer durability via my K5 which has been abused a bit. Lenses trashed, but the body keeps ticking. I'm trying to be more careful with the K3II - though a couple of those incidents were unavoidable. I have great faith in the durability of these cameras with full metal bodies.