Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2009, 06:45 PM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Bad Sectors?

I've just run into an almost identical problem with two Kingston 4GB class 6 SDHC cards. When I format them in the K10d, it formats but then at the end says "Memory Card Error". The K100d shows similar problems. I am able to shoot on them, but sometimes get odd errors. For example I've had the K100 shoot a photo, but then say "Photo not saved." This only seemed to happen after shooting quite a few photos on the card, maybe 2GB worth at a guess.

I ran the Windows error check, which found 1 bad sector on each card. I'm going to try the cards in the camera again and see if that fixes anything. In the meantime, anyone who has this same problem might try running an error check on their cards.

03-30-2009, 07:00 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have had 2 4GB and 2 8GB Kingston Class 6 SDHC cards in my K10D and K20D's for over a year and have not run into any problems whatsoever (except I fill them too fast!).
03-31-2009, 12:52 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by daniel deus Quote
I tried an 8gb class 6 Kingston in my K10D last weekend with the same 'memory card error' message popping up after formatting in the camera, I could take photos but they wouldnt save to the mem card...got my money back and ill keep on looking for a large capacity mem card from another brand i guess...
Gee i hope it doesnt happen to me as i've just bought 2 8gb class 6 sdhc cards and are due soon to arrive,mines a K20D so heres hoping maybe

cheers
03-31-2009, 12:54 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
I have just started using Kingston 4gb HCSD card. No problems recording shots, but had to go and purchase a different card reader. A HC card reader (mine is max 16gb $30Aus) will read everything from max down, but a 2gb reader will not read anything above. That is what I was able to Google up and have had no problems since.
When it comes to finer technicalities, I am not the person to approach for advice, a total novice in this area
I have a sandisk sdhc card reader with my other sandisk 4gb cards sdhc class6,so I think i can use this instead of buying a card reader

cheers

03-31-2009, 06:33 PM   #20

Same exact problem

Except it's not really a problem for me. I also have a K10D with 1.30 firmware and Kingston 4GB SDHC cards. Formatting in the camera produces the "memory card error" message, but nothing seems to be wrong.

I have been shooting on these cards for a few months now, and despite the ominous message, have not experienced any problems.
03-31-2009, 07:25 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pswann Quote
Except it's not really a problem for me. I also have a K10D with 1.30 firmware and Kingston 4GB SDHC cards. Formatting in the camera produces the "memory card error" message, but nothing seems to be wrong.

I have been shooting on these cards for a few months now, and despite the ominous message, have not experienced any problems.
Have you ever filled the cards to capacity? I'm guessing that there's a bad block near the end of the card (reason for message), but you haven't actually written the card "full enough" for the camera to encounter the bad block. Just a guess...
04-01-2009, 01:31 PM   #22

Jim:

Ooh, no, I've never thought about that. I've never filled either of my 2 Kingston cards to capacity. I actually kind of avoid them because they are slower than my 2GB Lexar cards. And the 2GB gives me plenty of storage for an average shooting outing.