Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2008, 04:53 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K10D - Kingston SDHC issue

Hello all....

I just acquired three (3) kingston 4gb sdhc cards (class 4)
There is no way I can format them on my K10D. All three.
I get the 'formatting' message with the 'memory card error' at the end instead of the 'exit'

They work correctly on the camera and on my laptop and desktop.
I shot some snapshots on all three and downloaded the pictures without any issues.

I used the SDFormatter (V2.0.0.3) on them, with no changes.
I used the HDDGuru Lowlevel format on them, with no changes.

I can, however, format them with m K100D without any problems.
I can format my other 2Gb kingston and 4gb Lexar on my K10D without any problems.

Now, I cannot conceive having THREE bad cards from the same supplier/retailer at the same time.
I know there are some bad cards out there, but this is quite odd.

On the kingston website, the cards should be compatible.

The K10D has the latest firmware.

Any ideas ?

Namaste

Althor33

07-27-2008, 05:19 AM   #2
Forum Member

Our local Camera Guru said that if you format your card in anything other than the camera you are using it in, you may have problems with the card in the camera... He recommended keeping the card in the camera and formatting it and downloading from there rather than putting the card into the computer/reader.
07-27-2008, 07:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Don't think you can't get 3 bad SD card, specially if you bought a 3-pack and all came from the same manufacturing batch.

Cameras format cards using FAT32, so there's no difference whatsoever between what the camera formats and what the computer formats as long as you format it FAT32.

As to why 3 cards are failing to format on your K10, but format OK on the K100 is quite odd. The fact you can format another 4GB HCSD on the K10 is the clincher for me - the camera is mostly ruled out at this point but the Kingston cards look suspect.

If you have access to another K10 (maybe at the camera store?) try it out there and see if it works.

Otherwise, I would just return them, get something else.
07-27-2008, 09:17 AM   #4

Original Poster
Follow-up - K10D - Kingston SHDC issue

Thanks to everyone for your inputs....

I did some more testing. When formatting on my Laptop (Vista) in FAT (not FAT32) then formatting the card in my K100D, it kinda works. Meaning that I can format the card in my K10D without any problems. Butas soon as I take pictures an try to reformat, it happens again.....

I'll keep on testing.....

Thanks again

Namaste

Althor33

07-27-2008, 06:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Hi,

QuoteOriginally posted by Althor33 Quote
Thanks to everyone for your inputs....

I did some more testing. When formatting on my Laptop (Vista) in FAT (not FAT32) then formatting the card in my K100D, it kinda works. Meaning that I can format the card in my K10D without any problems. Butas soon as I take pictures an try to reformat, it happens again.....

If you formatted the card in FAT16, then you end up with a file system of only 2 GB in size, as it is the maximum for FAT16. You are wasting half of your 4 GB SDHC card.
File Allocation Table - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Did you try doing a full format on the computer in FAT32, as opposed to a quick format ?
07-27-2008, 06:52 PM   #6

I have professionly used Kingston SDHC cards on my K10s and K20 with no problems what so ever. I have a four 4 GB and four 8 GB, but they are all class 6. I always format in the camera and read them on a card reader. Never had a problem.

I would think returning them to your retailer would be the easiest thing to do. Did you buy them for a legit store? Just wondering if they could be fakes.
07-27-2008, 06:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
Hi,
If you formatted the card in FAT16, <snip>
Good point - You should definitely format 4GB and higher cards as FAT32. This might be why the card is having an issue with this.

08-04-2008, 08:35 PM   #8

I tried an 8gb class 6 Kingston in my K10D last weekend with the same 'memory card error' message popping up after formatting in the camera, I could take photos but they wouldnt save to the mem card...got my money back and ill keep on looking for a large capacity mem card from another brand i guess...
08-04-2008, 09:43 PM   #9

Are you sure you have the 1.30 firmware loaded?
08-05-2008, 06:17 AM   #10
Forum Member

This is an interesting issue, since I've had a slightly different problem with a 4GB card by PNY, which I bought at a sale price several months ago. It formatted and worked fine in my K10D, but strangely my card reader can not read it. I just decided that was due to the several year old design of the card reader, but now I wonder.

Olin
08-05-2008, 06:31 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had a Kingston 1GB card, and after 1,000 pictures or so it died in a Canon P&S.
Bought another one (2GB) and same thing.
So it may just be a problem with Kingston.
08-05-2008, 12:54 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by daniel deus Quote
I tried an 8gb class 6 Kingston in my K10D last weekend with the same 'memory card error' message popping up after formatting in the camera, I could take photos but they wouldnt save to the mem card...got my money back and ill keep on looking for a large capacity mem card from another brand i guess...

I'm using this card in a K10 with no problems at all.

It won't download to my old computers so I have to use the camera cable, but my new laptop accepts the card perfectly. That's my old card readers problem though.

I formatted the card in the camera when I got it.

Last edited by Lloydy; 08-05-2008 at 12:54 PM. Reason: sp
08-05-2008, 07:16 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I have just started using Kingston 4gb HCSD card. No problems recording shots, but had to go and purchase a different card reader. A HC card reader (mine is max 16gb $30Aus) will read everything from max down, but a 2gb reader will not read anything above. That is what I was able to Google up and have had no problems since.
When it comes to finer technicalities, I am not the person to approach for advice, a total novice in this area
08-05-2008, 08:20 PM   #14
Veteran Member

He still hasn't said whether he has the newest firmware in his camera. He needs version 1.30 for hdsc cards I believe.
08-05-2008, 10:31 PM   #15

i know my firmware is updated to 1.3 it was one of the first things i did after i got the K10D...

i'm just putting the problem down to the dice gods not rolling in my favour...

will try again with another branded 8gb card this weekend and advise of results...