Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2016, 08:57 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5iis vs K-3ii - An old question (again)

I have the 5 and I am reviewing my kit. I mainly shoot flowers, wildlife, and landscapes. Photos of people are either snaps or incidental - no portraits. I sometimes try to get a little "arty."

Currently I am considering the Pentax 150-450 to replace my Sigma 150-500. I will also be getting the 1.4x tc. There are also plans for something to replace my Pentax 55-300 focus hunter.

So the question is for those of you who have both a K-5iis and a K-3ii. Will I realize enough difference from the K5 to the K3 to make it worthwhile? OR...should I be thinking K-1?

10-12-2016, 09:51 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I think the upgrade to the K-3 will be big enough on its own. But if you're planning on getting that lens along with the TC, you'd already have FF coverage, so it would allow you to upgrade to the K-1 if you wanted.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-12-2016, 10:10 AM   #3
npc
Veteran Member

Going from 16mpix to 24mpix sensor alone is basically giving you "1.5x teleconverter" for free. What I mean is if shoot K-3/K-3ii and crop down to 16mpx compared to shooting the same lens plus the x1.4 TC on K-5IIs.
10-12-2016, 10:44 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 50% increase in resolution and the lack of AA filter makes a significant difference. My 20-40 Ltd was good on the K-5, but it's superb on the K-3II. With landscapes the pixel shift feature on the K-3II gives yet more colour accuracy and fine resolution, especially with the motion correction function available in DCU5.

10-12-2016, 11:05 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The thing I would miss on the K-3II from the K-3 is the flash. The other item to consider is that low light performance seems a tiny bit better and dynamic range too on the K-5iis. This isn't a big difference and if you downsample the K-3 files (using the full size) I have been told that this difference is pretty much negligible but it may impact you - YMMV.

As I think a K-1 is nearly double the price and then you have to consider lens upgrades as well I'm not sure that's even within the budget - if it is the good news is that you get a K-5iis like crop mode plus the 36mp full frame sensor with all the goodies. But that's at a pretty significant cost increment which may not fit into your plans.

The K-1 however is the only route where you get your cake and get to eat it too... more resolution plus better ISO performance, plus full frame fun. (and more weight and bulk and bigger lenses... )
10-12-2016, 12:10 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
I have the 5 and I am reviewing my kit. I mainly shoot flowers, wildlife, and landscapes. Photos of people are either snaps or incidental - no portraits. I sometimes try to get a little "arty."

Currently I am considering the Pentax 150-450 to replace my Sigma 150-500. I will also be getting the 1.4x tc. There are also plans for something to replace my Pentax 55-300 focus hunter.

So the question is for those of you who have both a K-5iis and a K-3ii. Will I realize enough difference from the K5 to the K3 to make it worthwhile? OR...should I be thinking K-1?
I own a K5lls and a k3. Both are good cameras but there are some differences. K3 has better afc tracking and is Faster with screw drive lens. But for static tarjets and low light like froggy days I prefer k5iis. My Gear for wildlife shotting is a k5lls with a 50-500 os bigma on a sturdy tripod and a k3 with a F*300 for BIF handheld on a shoulder strap.
My flickr is pasorro63 is you want to see pictures
10-12-2016, 12:27 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I owned the k•3ii briefly but another $crunch intervened. I did not find it to be the right move for me, so K•1 or bust I guess. I am the sort who works harder at the moment of capture than at the computer, and the extra pixels, AF performance and such did not leap out at me for things I tend to shoot. The K•1 steps up in so many ways it's amazing.. though the K70 is interests me too.

10-12-2016, 05:46 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies.

Since a lot of my photography is sort of "on the run" as my wife is generally along and I can't always be too fussy with my shots.

That means I often do a little cropping on the back end, and I think the 24mp sensor will have a big impact on some shots.

I'm still evaluating, but I guess I will be going for one before the year is out as I don't think any new model will be coming soon.

Right now I am in the process of upgrading my MacBook Pro with an SSD and a monitor.
10-12-2016, 10:18 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
Since a lot of my photography is sort of "on the run" as my wife is generally along and I can't always be too fussy with my shots.

That means I often do a little cropping on the back end, and I think the 24mp sensor will have a big impact on some shots.

I'm still evaluating, but I guess I will be going for one before the year is out as I don't think any new model will be coming out.
Good reasoning and it seems like a winning plan.
10-13-2016, 05:10 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
if it helps I have both k3's

shooting nature I haven't missed the flash not on the k3ii

the largest performance gain for me seems to be in focus speed and accuracy
most of my lenses are much faster and surer on these bodies