Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2016, 06:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K5 to K70?

I'm trying to lighten up the camera bag a bit, so that's why I'm not considering the K3 or K3ii.
I might consider the KS2, but after having used the KS1, I'd like something a little more sturdy for a primary camera body.
I've even considered switching to the m43 system.

Would the K5 to K70 switch be worth it?

TIA!

10-14-2016, 06:57 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Weight is an issue for many photographers.

K-5, II, IIS = 1.6 lbs
K-70 = 1.5 lbs

IMO, the weight difference is very negligible when it comes to camera bodies in the Pentax world. If you need to lighten your kit, consider changing what lenses you carry, or how you carry them.

I would Look in Lightroom and decide your most used focal lengths. Now only use the focal lengths you find useful, for me the HD 20-40 Limited was a great investment. I pair this with the 15mm Limited and I am set.

If you need more gear, consider a backpack or rolling bag. Make it easy to carry your stuff.

If after all this, you still need to carry more and it still is too heavy, consider a M43 system. Low light can be an issue, but you get smaller lenses which in turn are lighter. Just keep in mind, everyone thinks the body is soo much lighter and in the end, that isn't the biggest issue, it is the weight of the other things you need.
10-14-2016, 07:12 AM   #3
Pentaxian

A good tool for quick comparisons of dimensions, weight and specs is here: Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax K-5 II - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

Keep in mind that the K-3II does not have built-in flash, but the K-3 does.
The K-70 promises some better NR than the K-3. Other differences are the LCD screen, battery, and so on.
If you are using multiple bodies, it is good to have ones that all use the same batteries.

The weight difference between K-5 and K-3 is almost nothing, and the K-70 is less than 100g lighter than them. The K-70, K-50 and K-S2 all weight almost the same, but the K-S2 is the lightest. The K-S1 is lighter, still, by a fair margin.

I would recommend you get the kind of camera that shares batteries with your other cameras. The K-70 seems like a good camera on paper and I would really like to try one, but it is so new there are almost no real reviews out there. I'm still waiting for the PF one.

That said, the m43 system is expensive and having two different mount systems becomes quite a hassle. And some m43 cameras are not even that much smaller than Pentax' APSC offerings! (Especially with Pentax compact lenses, like the Limited pancakes) I have looked into m43 some time ago, but just couldn't justify it for myself. But hey, feel free

Edit: I use K-01, with DA 35mm or DA 40mm XS, and it is super compact. Those small DA lenses really do make a difference. Even the DFA 100mm macro WR is very compact for what it brings. Pentax is a fairly compact system, but some features (big viewfinder, good SR, fast burst mode,..) require more space. But the K-01 is so old now, I only recommend it to people who love it on sight

Last edited by Na Horuk; 10-14-2016 at 07:17 AM.
10-14-2016, 07:14 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Buy a DA 21mm or DA 40mm pancake instead! That will lighten the load a bit if you leave the F35-70 at home. You can get them used for good prices, since everyone thinks these are sleepers.
Hell, replace all the lenses with the pancake short stack!
(OK, except for the awesome FA100 f2.8 - never give that up)

Seriously, though, consider the DA 40, then the DA21.

10-14-2016, 07:17 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I'd do it. Even though the K-70 is not a pro body, it's newer & more updated than the K-5 sans the "pro build".

If you want light, the m43 system is pretty neat. I have been playing with an Olympus OM-D EM-5 Mark II & one thing that I have found is that the IQ is similar to what my K-50 puts out. Excellent to ISO 3200, good to ISO 6400, & decent up to ISO 12800. There is a bit more grain in the higher ISO photos than the K-50's higher ISO photos. The kicker is that it's all coming out of a much smaller sensor too. The AF is a lot faster & more accurate than my K-50, but then again, look at the cost of the EM-5II body. Olympus is the only other camera company outside of Pentax that I would consider making the switch to. Everything seems a lot pricier, though.
10-14-2016, 08:02 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
I'd do it. Even though the K-70 is not a pro body, it's newer & more updated than the K-5 sans the "pro build".

If you want light, the m43 system is pretty neat. I have been playing with an Olympus OM-D EM-5 Mark II & one thing that I have found is that the IQ is similar to what my K-50 puts out. Excellent to ISO 3200, good to ISO 6400, & decent up to ISO 12800. There is a bit more grain in the higher ISO photos than the K-50's higher ISO photos. The kicker is that it's all coming out of a much smaller sensor too. The AF is a lot faster & more accurate than my K-50, but then again, look at the cost of the EM-5II body. Olympus is the only other camera company outside of Pentax that I would consider making the switch to. Everything seems a lot pricier, though.
I've oft thought of going back to m43 for a small hiking body. I have a EPL1 that doesn't get any love. Too bad, it is really a nice camera. I briefly owned an EM10, REALLY nice camera, lost it, switched to Pentax. (Pretty happy in the end that I lost it, the Pentax universe is pretty sweet.)
10-14-2016, 08:17 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
That said, the m43 system is expensive and having two different mount systems becomes quite a hassle. And some m43 cameras are not even that much smaller than Pentax' APSC offerings!
Yup, I think you are totally right.

Any of the more 'premium' m43 bodies (like the Olympus E-M5 II or the Panasonic GX8/G80/G85) are quite a bit more exensive than for example the K-70.

Add to that the cost of a good fast standard zoom lens.

At the m43 system it's either the Olympus 12-40 2.8 or the Panasonic 12-35 2.8. Both those lenses will cost you way more (roughly 400-500 dollars/euros more) than for example the Sigma 17-50 2.8. So right of the bat you have to invest a lot if you want a fast walkaround zoom on m43, which imo is a serious drawback of going m43.

And it's not like the fast m43 primes are cheap either. Well ok, the Pana 25mm 1.7 is, but the Pana 15mm 1.4 and the Olympus 12mm 2.0 certainly are not.

Sizewise, the Olympus E-M5 II, the E-M10 II and perhaps the (aps-c) Fuji X-T10 and X-T1 are still quite a bit more compact than any of the Pentax DSLR's. But look at the new Panasonic G80/85 and the difference in size and weight is almost neglectable.

However, the m43 system does have way more lenses to choose from, especially a lot more fast primes. And the Pentax' achilles' heel(s), video and autofocus, are downright excellent on the latest Panasonics for example. Their DFD autofocus and 4k video are amazing.

To me, m43 cameras seem to be a bit more allround, with no real weak spots. That is one of the reasons why I am still not sure wether I should go m43 or the Pentax (K-70)....
10-14-2016, 09:07 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I've oft thought of going back to m43 for a small hiking body. I have a EPL1 that doesn't get any love. Too bad, it is really a nice camera. I briefly owned an EM10, REALLY nice camera, lost it, switched to Pentax. (Pretty happy in the end that I lost it, the Pentax universe is pretty sweet.)
Yes. Pentax does offer a lot of bang for the buck with their cameras. They offer a lot of features that no one else gives you for a similar price. This is why I stick around.

Right now at B&H, I have an Olympus wishlist with 4 items:
  • Olympus OM-D EM-5 Mark II
  • Olympus M.ZUIKO Digital ED 7-14mm f/2.8 PRO Lens
  • Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO Lens
  • Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO Lens
Just those 4 items total $4,796 USD. That's way too much money for me. That camera with those lenses would keep me happy for a really long time. I'd eventually get some primes for specific uses. Then there is the upcoming OM-D EM-1 Mark II that has even more excellence & win. But yeah. Money doesn't grow on trees. I'm gonna be in the Pentax camp for a really long time.

10-14-2016, 09:17 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by koekie Quote
Sizewise, the Olympus E-M5 II, the E-M10 II and perhaps the (aps-c) Fuji X-T10 and X-T1 are still quite a bit more compact than any of the Pentax DSLR's.
Maybe compared to K-3 and K-1, but compared to K-S2, K-S1: Compare camera dimensions side by side
Difference between a lot of the Fuji and Oly cameras compared to the Pentax K-70 is only fractions of a centimeter, while the sensor is generally much smaller area. Pentax cameras are a little more boxy, which is not a big drawback inside of a bag. It just has fewer surfaces to snag on.

Oh, one more difference that is important to some people is that the last few generations of Pentax DSLRs have really nice optical viewfinders. Some people value a bright prism viewfinder
10-14-2016, 10:03 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I dunno guys, I feel the whole package of the m43 body + lens is usually a good deal smaller. The Squirrel Mafia, that is a lot of kit in a basket, you can get a nice m43 system for way less than that, esp if you go the prime route. I'd strongly suggest thinking about the EM10 if you do... it's a really awesome camera, compact and at a great price point.
10-14-2016, 10:09 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Maybe compared to K-3 and K-1, but compared to K-S2, K-S1: Compare camera dimensions side by side
Try the top view perspective on both, then you see the real size differences

I dunno guys, I feel the whole package of the m43 body + lens is usually a good deal smaller. The Squirrel Mafia, that is a lot of kit in a basket
Usually it is indeed a smaller package, depending on the specific body + lens combo of course.

The Squirrel Mafia does raise an interesting point though: the m43 fast zoom lenses, such as the 12-35 panny or the 12-40 Olympus are rather expensive. Especially if you compare it to the Sigma 17-50 2.8 for Pentax, which is MUCH cheaper.

Personally I m still not too sure what is best: go the m43 way (Panasonic G80) or choose Pentax (K-70).

m43 has the (slight) size/weight benefit, much more lens choices (especially fast primes), the G80's AF and (4K) video are lightyears ahead of Pentax, and still provide good IQ

Pentax has better IQ, better low light performance, a good bright OVF, and in general cheaper lenses.

Last edited by koekie; 10-14-2016 at 10:19 AM.
10-14-2016, 10:54 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Try the top view perspective on both, then you see the real size differences

Usually it is indeed a smaller package, depending on the specific body + lens combo of course.

The Squirrel Mafia does raise an interesting point though: the m43 fast zoom lenses, such as the 12-35 panny or the 12-40 Olympus are rather expensive. Especially if you compare it to the Sigma 17-50 2.8 for Pentax, which is MUCH cheaper.

Personally I m still not too sure what is best: go the m43 way (Panasonic G80) or choose Pentax (K-70).

m43 has the (slight) size/weight benefit, much more lens choices (especially fast primes), the G80's AF and (4K) video are lightyears ahead of Pentax, and still provide good IQ

Pentax has better IQ, better low light performance, a good bright OVF, and in general cheaper lenses.
We're all going off track - Heather, I think the K70 would be a good upgrade from the k5!
10-14-2016, 11:31 AM   #13

We're all going off track - Heather, I think the K70 would be a good upgrade from the k5!
Well thanks for apparently staying on track, but without any motivation it's not really helping is it?....why you think the K70 would be a good upgrade?

Btw, the OP did say switching to m43 was a consideration, and lightening the camera bag was one of the main goals. So I dont see how talking about m43 is going off track.
10-14-2016, 12:03 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

If one is willing to go all the way back to film, the ideal walkaround camera for ultra-compactness is the Pentax ME. I found myself hefting mine in a camera store in Melbourne in March, holding it up against the (bigger) Panasonic and Olympus M4/3 cameras in the window and saying to myself "Full Frame by Pentax." *evil grin*

That (jokingly) being said, if I were upgrading to a better APS-C camera instead of the K-1 I have in mind, a K-70 would be high on my list to replace the K-5. Newer than the K-3, pixel shift like the K3-ii but still with onboard flash, ready to go with PLM lenses (now that KAF4 is a thing), flash and swivel-screen, ISO as high as I would ever need... it would do for a lot of the things I have in mind. Perhaps not quite the same tank-like build as the K-3 series, but combining all the best features of both (except the GPS, which I could do without).
10-14-2016, 12:12 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Well thanks for apparently staying on track, but without any motivation it's not really helping is it?....why you think the K70 would be a good upgrade?

Btw, the OP did say switching to m43 was a consideration, and lightening the camera bag was one of the main goals. So I dont see how talking about m43 is going off track.
Fair enough. I have to work, I don't really care to get into details. Recommended because the k70 has a number of features the K5 does not. Assumed it was lighter but it might not be. Cheers!