Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2016, 05:07 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
My setup on K-5:

TAv: Aperture on the back wheel, shutter speed on the front wheel
Av: Aperture on the back wheel, ISO on the front wheel

These are my two most used modes. Consistently aperture on the back wheel.

10-15-2016, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

TAv mode was what hooked my gf on Pentax DSLRs. She's a dedicated wildlife photographer, and TAv let's her shoot quickly without fiddling with dials.

As I've gotten more into wildlife work myself, I find my workflow in TAv to be:

Set to f5.6
Set shutter based on focal length and expected subject
Let ISO fall where it may within my preset limits of <6400

I can adjust my shutter speed and aperture based on the shooting conditions, such as subject speed/size/lighting.
In my opinion ISO is the least of my worries, so TAv allows me to control my priority parameters with the front a rear dials in real time.
Tv requires alot of forethought in program lines and may give me the wrong f-stop in many scenarios. f4.5 for a moose is not good enough, especially at 500-700mm. I also don't want f8 and 1/500 on a warbler in good light when I could bump it to 1/1250 and stay at f5.6.

M Mode requires three separate actions. If you have critters that sit still that long for you, I'm in the wrong area of the country apparently.
10-15-2016, 08:24 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
TAv mode was what hooked my gf on Pentax DSLRs. She's a dedicated wildlife photographer, and TAv let's her shoot quickly without fiddling with dials.

As I've gotten more into wildlife work myself, I find my workflow in TAv to be:

Set to f5.6
Set shutter based on focal length and expected subject
Let ISO fall where it may within my preset limits of <6400

I can adjust my shutter speed and aperture based on the shooting conditions, such as subject speed/size/lighting.
In my opinion ISO is the least of my worries, so TAv allows me to control my priority parameters with the front a rear dials in real time.
Tv requires alot of forethought in program lines and may give me the wrong f-stop in many scenarios. f4.5 for a moose is not good enough, especially at 500-700mm. I also don't want f8 and 1/500 on a warbler in good light when I could bump it to 1/1250 and stay at f5.6.

M Mode requires three separate actions. If you have critters that sit still that long for you, I'm in the wrong area of the country apparently.
Different people have different needs. Above all, I want to be in control of ISO.
10-15-2016, 11:22 AM   #19
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I use P mode almost exclusively
+1, I'm afraid that's my modus operandi too, shutter on one dial, aperture on the other.

10-15-2016, 02:10 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
New to automatic lenses (no not just aperture you old timers) I have discovered the magic wonderland that is TAV mode on my K5.

I've come from a history of M's and Taks, so all those silly other modes where just wasted space on a dial really. I mean, M, X, TV. The END!

But god TAV mode is perfect. I'm happy with the higher ISO's on my K5 when I'm out shooting without much prior thought, it's great.

Toys are good, I feel like I've just woken up from the 80's.

I have the glorious fortune to have a day off so I'm spending it at a French car festival. DA*'s with me, TAV mode, I'm gonna have a hoot :P

VIV LA PENTAX
Glad you found that out !
I use TAv all the time when birding with my K5/K3 and the DA*300/4 (without the HD 1.4X TC) and I would say, after many years using this mode, that the results are more than satisfying.
I would imagine that this mode is also quite handy for other-than-birding sutuations.
Cheers!
10-15-2016, 03:16 PM   #21

Love Tav specially in low light, set the minimal shutter speed for your gear, needs, focus in depth of field and let the k1 choose the iso, although in many circumstances there is no substitute for manual
10-15-2016, 03:52 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
TAV for most things never really go above 800 ISO on the K3 and use the K-01 as well but still figuring it out every time I pick it up, may have to put cheat sheet on the bottom of it for instruction.
10-15-2016, 04:08 PM   #23
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

The one mode that doesn't seem to get any love is Sv (sensitivity priority). I can't imagine when I would use it. For landscape using a tripod maybe, but even then Av with fixed low ISO would seem to be more suitable. Anyone use it?

10-16-2016, 04:19 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes poor Sv mode, I'm trying to think If I've ever used it..

Take home message is of course use what ever works either way
10-17-2016, 12:48 PM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Glad you found that out !
I use TAv all the time when birding with my K5/K3 and the DA*300/4 (without the HD 1.4X TC) and I would say, after many years using this mode, that the results are more than satisfying.
I would imagine that this mode is also quite handy for other-than-birding sutuations.
Cheers!
It's excellent for kid's sports.
10-17-2016, 03:16 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
In general I agree.
Photography has been waiting a 175 year to complete the logical triad - time, quantity and sensitivity.
What I don't understand is why it is not universally implemented in all modern cameras.[COLOR="Silver"]
Quite so!

It's the last vestige of the film era.

(The rapscallion rabble-rouser in me would say that Canon refuses to implement it because their sensors can't handle anything higher than base ISO and Nikon refuses to implement it because Canon hasn't. Did I say that out loud?)

My sincere preference would be for a camera to have FOUR dedicated dials for: shutter speed, aperture, sensitivity, and EV compensation.
10-17-2016, 09:51 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

Doesn't matter WHAT I have to do about it digitally, I'm just so happy I can change ISO from shot to shot without re-winding and swapping out rolls of film . . . or hand-loading 8-shot cassettes to minimize waste . . .
10-18-2016, 12:02 AM   #28
Forum Member

I too have only very recently "seen the light" - I used this mode to shoot an indoor event recently with the K1. Depending on where the action was there was either bright light from indoor lighting and/or outdoor light through windows or dark corners and shadows. Literally a light bulb clicked and I started using TAV, dialled in a fast shutter and a wide aperture and concentrated on nothing but the shooting! Some shots came back with an ISO value in the low hundreds others were many thousands (I set the max to 6400). It was one of those moments where it all just clicked (I hadn't used this mode before) and all of a sudden I now have a new tool in the shed

Great for wildlife too - I tried it on some Tassie Devils the other day, worked a charm as they moved from shady to sunny areas (within their enclosures of course!)
10-18-2016, 06:06 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
(The rapscallion rabble-rouser in me would say that Canon refuses to implement it because their sensors can't handle anything higher than base ISO and Nikon refuses to implement it because Canon hasn't. Did I say that out loud?)
Canon and Nikon both have this feature, but it is not named as Pentax and there is no button to switch to TAV (as it is right now implemented by Pentax on their cameras, which is handy).

Nikon has this feature on their latest APSC and full frame cameras (starting with D7100/D7200, etc.), but Canon has it only on 1Dx and 1Dx Mark II (and I think also in 80D). Basicaly, you need to put the camera in manual with auto ISO selected and you can configure a dial to act as exposure compensation in Auto ISO. It's the same thing as TAV, but as I said, this feature it's not on the dial. It becomes available when you select Auto ISO in Manual mode.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 10-18-2016 at 07:42 AM.
10-23-2016, 06:57 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wibbly Quote
i tried it but hated it. i use Av with the front dial for iso.

maybe i choose slower shutter over higher iso? i feel like auto iso is a terrible plan
I tend to do the same.